+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gippsland
    Posts
    15,158
    Thanks
    1,310
    Thanked
    4,398
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

    Question What age did you put your toddler in a booster car seat?

    I didn't want to hijack another thread about car seats, so I want to ask, what age did you change your toddlers from 'convertible car seats' to the 'booster seats' with the harness thing?

    The other thread got me thinking that perhaps it's time to put DS in a booster seat. He's about 14kg, which is the lower limit for boosters, but he's at the top of the charts for height and is really starting to get too tall in the shoulders for the convertible car seat.

    What are the best shops to get them in?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    28,229
    Thanks
    1,515
    Thanked
    996
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My dd is 2 and still in a car seat, won't think about a booster until she is at least 3.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,167
    Thanks
    250
    Thanked
    239
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I put DS in a booster when he was 2, cause DS2 moved into the convertable seat.
    We got a maxi rider which has the 5 point harness and anchors to the back of the car. Just has more room up the top as he too is quite tall. No idea the best place to get them wherever you get the best deal I suppose.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    6,211
    Thanks
    387
    Thanked
    594
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My ds is 2 and 4 months and it's nearly time for us to buy a maxi rider for him. He still fits in the convertible seat in dh's car, but he's in the compaq seat in my car and the seat belt is almost level with his shoulders and he's 15.5kg.

    Children have to be in a car seat with a harness, not seat belt til the age of 4 in the laws that will come in, so make sure you get a good seat.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7,688
    Thanks
    388
    Thanked
    666
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD has only just turned 1 but she is quite tall and the straps on the car seat are already at the highest setting for her shoulders so I don't know how long she will last in it.

    I thought as soon as their shoulders were too high for the top strap to still be above their shoulders, was the time to change them to the booster...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Qld
    Posts
    26,930
    Thanks
    2,736
    Thanked
    6,745
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It's safest to have them in a seat with a 5-point harness, which is what convertible carseats have. If you want to go up to a booster now, it's probably best to get a CONVERTIBLE booster like the Maxi Rider II which has a 5-point harness until the child is 18kg, and then a H harness from then on.

    It's probably best to keep your child in his carseat for as long as he fits in it - usually this is until 18kg, or once his head is higher than the back of the seat.

    A booster is best used as a follow-on IMO, but make sure it can be used with a H-harness and can be anchored.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gippsland
    Posts
    15,158
    Thanks
    1,310
    Thanked
    4,398
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitake View Post
    I put DS in a booster when he was 2, cause DS2 moved into the convertable seat.
    We got a maxi rider which has the 5 point harness and anchors to the back of the car. Just has more room up the top as he too is quite tall. No idea the best place to get them wherever you get the best deal I suppose.
    Is Maxi Rider the actual brand? I looked on Babyco's website and couldn't find that brand.

    Quote Originally Posted by mim1 View Post
    My ds is 2 and 4 months and it's nearly time for us to buy a maxi rider for him. He still fits in the convertible seat in dh's car, but he's in the compaq seat in my car and the seat belt is almost level with his shoulders and he's 15.5kg.

    Children have to be in a car seat with a harness, not seat belt til the age of 4 in the laws that will come in, so make sure you get a good seat.
    Yes, I certainly will look for a good one . We won't worry about price and just go for the best quality.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gippsland
    Posts
    15,158
    Thanks
    1,310
    Thanked
    4,398
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    It's probably best to keep your child in his carseat for as long as he fits in it - usually this is until 18kg, or once his head is higher than the back of the seat.
    His head is now just over the top of the seat, he's fairly tall

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,167
    Thanks
    250
    Thanked
    239
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TysonsMummy View Post
    Is Maxi Rider the actual brand? I looked on Babyco's website and couldn't find that brand.
    I'm pretty sure they are made by safe and sound
    Type in safe and sound maxi rider and a heap of choices will come up, hopefully to tell you where to get one if that is the one you want.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Gippsland
    Posts
    15,158
    Thanks
    1,310
    Thanked
    4,398
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitake View Post
    I'm pretty sure they are made by safe and sound
    Type in safe and sound maxi rider and a heap of choices will come up, hopefully to tell you where to get one if that is the one you want.
    Fab, thanks


 

Similar Threads

  1. Car Seat vs Booster? HELP!
    By Mill in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27-03-2012, 14:09
  2. Booster seat question
    By onelasttime in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-02-2012, 18:40
  3. When to move to booster seat? and booster seat questions!
    By Rachie81 in forum Product Recommendations & Questions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-01-2012, 15:05

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
L'il Aussie Prems FoundationAn Australian charity supporting families of premature babies & children. The charity assists families who are at ...
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›