+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Question What age did you put your toddler in a booster car seat?

I didn't want to hijack another thread about car seats, so I want to ask, what age did you change your toddlers from 'convertible car seats' to the 'booster seats' with the harness thing?

The other thread got me thinking that perhaps it's time to put DS in a booster seat. He's about 14kg, which is the lower limit for boosters, but he's at the top of the charts for height and is really starting to get too tall in the shoulders for the convertible car seat.

What are the best shops to get them in?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My dd is 2 and still in a car seat, won't think about a booster until she is at least 3.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I put DS in a booster when he was 2, cause DS2 moved into the convertable seat.
    We got a maxi rider which has the 5 point harness and anchors to the back of the car. Just has more room up the top as he too is quite tall. No idea the best place to get them wherever you get the best deal I suppose.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My ds is 2 and 4 months and it's nearly time for us to buy a maxi rider for him. He still fits in the convertible seat in dh's car, but he's in the compaq seat in my car and the seat belt is almost level with his shoulders and he's 15.5kg.

Children have to be in a car seat with a harness, not seat belt til the age of 4 in the laws that will come in, so make sure you get a good seat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD has only just turned 1 but she is quite tall and the straps on the car seat are already at the highest setting for her shoulders so I don't know how long she will last in it.

I thought as soon as their shoulders were too high for the top strap to still be above their shoulders, was the time to change them to the booster...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It's safest to have them in a seat with a 5-point harness, which is what convertible carseats have. If you want to go up to a booster now, it's probably best to get a CONVERTIBLE booster like the Maxi Rider II which has a 5-point harness until the child is 18kg, and then a H harness from then on.

It's probably best to keep your child in his carseat for as long as he fits in it - usually this is until 18kg, or once his head is higher than the back of the seat.

A booster is best used as a follow-on IMO, but make sure it can be used with a H-harness and can be anchored.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitake View Post
    I put DS in a booster when he was 2, cause DS2 moved into the convertable seat.
    We got a maxi rider which has the 5 point harness and anchors to the back of the car. Just has more room up the top as he too is quite tall. No idea the best place to get them wherever you get the best deal I suppose.
    Is Maxi Rider the actual brand? I looked on Babyco's website and couldn't find that brand.

Quote Originally Posted by mim1 View Post
    My ds is 2 and 4 months and it's nearly time for us to buy a maxi rider for him. He still fits in the convertible seat in dh's car, but he's in the compaq seat in my car and the seat belt is almost level with his shoulders and he's 15.5kg.

Children have to be in a car seat with a harness, not seat belt til the age of 4 in the laws that will come in, so make sure you get a good seat.
    Yes, I certainly will look for a good one . We won't worry about price and just go for the best quality.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    It's probably best to keep your child in his carseat for as long as he fits in it - usually this is until 18kg, or once his head is higher than the back of the seat.
    His head is now just over the top of the seat, he's fairly tall

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TysonsMummy View Post
    Is Maxi Rider the actual brand? I looked on Babyco's website and couldn't find that brand.
    I'm pretty sure they are made by safe and sound
    Type in safe and sound maxi rider and a heap of choices will come up, hopefully to tell you where to get one if that is the one you want.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitake View Post
    I'm pretty sure they are made by safe and sound
    Type in safe and sound maxi rider and a heap of choices will come up, hopefully to tell you where to get one if that is the one you want.
    Fab, thanks