+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Don't you love how they become obsessed with things - their devotion is so pure! Koby alternates between trains, cars and plastic animals. He'll have a favourite or three for a couple of days and take them everywhere including to bed.

Thanks Fish - I'm sure you're right about it becoming familiar but it's just so sad. Today a friend offered to come to our house with her 2 yo on Tuesday morning so I can go to work for at least half a day. I was so blown away by that offer -so generous and loving. I'm not sure if I should just stop daycare and take her up on that or if I should persist a bit longer. I guess I shouldn't give up after one bad day.

We went back to the dr today too, just for a check as Koby's sleeping is still so unsettled. Ended up with antibiotics as his chest isn't 100% clear - so hopefully the poor little man will feel better soon.

Jules - hows the weather? I read it was snowing in Katoomba, in Blue Mountains. I'm SO disappointed we missed it, but DH is very relieved!

Hi Deb, Shelle, DJF, Neekynoo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sam, the mums who have used daycare in my mothers group said it took a good month before the kids were ok with being dropped off. So hang in there.

Fish, the toilet training person we had come to our mums group said to take your kids shopping for their undies before you start and even make them hand the money over. So that might be the next purchase!

Jules, we use face cloths here too. I just keep one by the sink for the day.

Ok times up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Deb. I am going to persist a little longer, but I might change to two half days instead of one longer day.

Our dinner last night was nice, but so so noisy. We were in the lounge bar rather than the upstairs restaurant. Soon as we got there I wished we'd booked for upstairs. Oh well, was just nice to go out. Koby was fine at my sisters though still awake when we got there at 10.30!

Hope you're all having a great weekend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow how was the next day after Koby stayed up to 10:30?!? The two half days sounds like a great plan, less time for him to forget.

We went to a friends place for a girls afternoon tea yesterday. DH was going to take Nick, but then renegged at the last moment as he was just beyond exhausted. The kids were as good as they could be, but Nick almost fell off my knee while I was holding a grumpy Iluka on the other side (who needed a change but I hadn't worked that out quite yet) which resulted in a family meldown, so I paced the living room holding two screaming kids. Nice show for my not very maternal friends. I'm sure it'll work as contraceptives for them for a while

here is the huggies parking house I was boasting about the other day Sam.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Fish - that's a great parking garage! I wish I was more creative.

Koby slept in til 8.30 on saturday, then he had a really big afternoon sleep. We went out to a friends for dinner on saturday night so we had another late night. Last night he went to bed really early. He's a bit grumpy today but not too bad. He's still waking during the night and ending up in our bed, I've got to summon the energy to deal with that sometime soon.

Poor you with the family meltdown. I hope you're all feeling better now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fish, i can imagine that kind of thing would put childless people off kids for a while (it puts me off kids and i have one!) hopefully you had a good day to follow. you'll be laughing at me next year when i have a newborn and Iluka & Nick will be perfectly behaved by then.

Sam, sorry your night out was a bit noisy...dare i suggest you might just be getting old? just kidding. at least its nice to be out by yourselves again.

I've got a question. Isaac wants to take me everywhere, he just won't go and do something by himself...well hardly ever anyway. Should i be saying no or is it just me being lazy?! i know he'll have to be more independent if we have another but maybe he'll grow out of it by then. or should i do something now?
    he makes his own ideas up for play, but wants me to come with him. its getting pretty tiring. if i refuse (politely ) he gets all worked up and will literally stand there and cry for minutes with real tears and come to me for a hug after...and then want me to go with him again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Deb - I freely admit I'm getting old! I'm not sure what to suggest with Isaac. Yes, he will become more independent in time, just a part of growing up. I kind of feel if we push them now, their natural development might be slower as they try to hang on (sometimes literally!). That's why I'm unsure about the whole daycare thing, as I don't want to push and therefore delay his independence. I think slowly slowly is best, and maybe trying more activities where there are other children. Isaac might begin to become adventurous when he sees other kids having fun.

Having said that - Koby did well at daycare today, quite happy when I picked him up just after lunch. He was happily talking about the carer and her son when he woke from his nap today, too.

MIL is at home, but not travelling to well, I suspect that she'll be admitted again when she comes back to Perth Friday for chemo.

DH's sister's MIL was diagnosed with cancer after becoming very ill very quickly last week and hasn't left hosptial since. BIL has been spending lots of time at the hospital but went home Sunday night. He's just rung to say the hospital wants the families to come in, it's not looking good. They're 2.5 hours away, I'm really hoping they're going to make it in time. We'll then meet them at the hospital to pick up their boys and bring them home so BIL and SIL can stay there all night if need be. The poor things - first her mum getting sick again (MIL) then his mum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    HI Ladies

Sam - that's great news that Koby had a better time at daycare. I've heard that two days can make it easier for them to settle into it. Sorry to hear about your SIL's MIL!!

Deb - I've noticed at Music that some of the toddlers are like that. I've heard that the clingyness does reach it's peak at the eighteen month to two year old stage. Do you go to playgroup or anything similar?

Fish - sorry to hear about the family meltdown. You're making me nervous about ttc #2.

We are going to look at another childcare place this afternoon. There are a few things I like about this one. DH is going to come with me aswell so that the decision isn't all on me. If we like it then we are going to start with two half days until he settles in and then I'll start looking for some casual work in property conveyancing (which is what I did before I had Blake). Just can't decide whether to do two consecutive days or not. Perhaps a Tuesday and Thursday might be good and then he can have a day at home to rest in between.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sam How is everything?

Deb I always just went with the flow when Nick went through clingy stages (and whinged about it here ) I figure that they'll grow out of it when they are ready it. Maybe try sending him in ahead of you and join him in a few seconds, and then gradually work it up to minutes before he joins you, or just submit and have toy stations all ovee the house so he can play at your feet no matter where you are.. It's wonderful that he's inventing games.

Julie, funny thing is the family melt downs got me down the first one or two times, now it doesn't at all. I don't know if that's happy milk hormones helping me out, but I just figure it's a good bit of exercise to walk with them both in my arms (don't get much other exercise these days) and go for it. It's very nice to be needed that much really. I just felt a bit embarrassed in front of my non-maternal friends, but even there I could see the funny side too.

oh Nick's up, time to go

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey everyone,

SIL's MIL made it thru the night, and we've just heard they're moving her to another hosp that has a palliative care unit that's more comfy for her and the extended family. The boys were ok with us last night, they'll be back soon, once they've seen their Nan again. Apparently she is aware that they're all around her, which is really nice.

My MIL had blood tests yesterday and her calcium levels are holding steady, really good news. The MRI was clear too.

Koby had another melt down at netball this morning, wouldn't go to creche, wouldn't sit on teh side lines while I played, just screamed and tried to run on the court. The umprire told me I couldn't play but I already had my bib half off. DH came to the court by half time and Koby was fine then while I played. I'm going to ask my sister to baby sit next week - we're in the finals, I don't want to chance him being upset again, because I just wouldn't play and that'd be letting everyone down. He has fun at my sisters so it'd be silly to persist with the creche. I had hoped it was a one-off issue but apparently not!

Fish - there's not really much point in us getting upset too, is there? Someone's got to stay calm, but damn it's hard sometimes! I was almost in tears again this morning while Koby was upset.

Julie - It's hard finding the right place, isn't it? I'm of two minds whether to look for something else, or what. I just don't know. On Friday I'm seeing my friend who offered to come to our house on the morning I work, I'll talk to her some more about it see if we can make that work for both of us. Do a day swap or something.