+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    yep sam its definitely you! or maybe we just have boring lives that aren't worth writing about...?

after our perfect start to toilet training, isaac has decided that he doesn't want to go after all. so we are giving it a rest for a few days since EVERY time seemed to end in a puddle. he would tell me when he wanted to go, get halfway down the hallway and say he can't get it out. then 2 mins later a puddle on the carpet. sigh. won't even sit on the toilet unless he DOESN'T need to go!!

not much else happening here. will be home for easter which will be nice, need to do a bit of a clean up around the place (as usual).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry Sam . Only a couple of photos in the book, mostly just line drawings, one for each rhyme.

Deb, almost every kid I know has done a similar thing, once the novelty wears thin, they stop or refuse. I got so frustrated by it I started a rewards chart. At first it was just a sticker, which was a novelty in itself, but then I had to ramp it up to x number of stickers = matchbox car or new toothbrush etc. I think he's finally on top of it now. You can get very over puddles very quickly though, can't you

We've had a busy week. Nights still rank as great if the kids only need 2 feeds/settles. Nick had the vomits last Thursday night, and Iluka got them this afternoon, so we'll see if there's any sleep in store for us tonight. Easter... we'll be sleeping if we can

We went camping last weekend which was really lovely, except the bit where Nick almost ran over a snake with his bike... twice... Lesson learned, if you want a toddler to stay put and NOT come back to you, don't ask them to stop in a somewhat pannicky voice.

Can you believe it's DD's first b'day next week!! She's starting to run a little now (a.k.a waddle quickly), and when she's not chucking all over you, is very sweet and girly. It surprises me that she genuinely wants to play with dolls more than with cars!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default !

Hello! I thought everyone had disappeared on me!

Deb - that's really normal, I think. Koby went through a stage only a couple of weeks ago where he didn't want to go and we had accidents for a week. And he's been trained for close to 5 months now. Just another stage in the development journey I guess. Leaving it a while then starting again with a star chart or similar might be a good idea. It'll give him a new incentive.

Fish - you're so creative! Can't believe your DD is one already, where is time going? How scary that Nick nearly rode over a snake! You must have been panicking! I hope you all get some rest over Easter and no one else gets sick.

Jules - how are you feeling? Not much longer now!

DD had her ball last weekend, couple of photos on fb if you want to have a look. Scary how grown up they look! She had a great time.

Corey applied for a cricket academy place for high school next year, we should find out second week in term 2 whether he got in.

I registered a business name for photography this week - not that I'm expecting to use it for quite some time, but it's exciting anyway! I've entered an online competition for portraits but all I'm hoping for is some constructive feedback, if I get even one vote, I'd be floored.

No other news, really.

Have a great Easter everyone, hope the Easter bunny brings you the right amount of chocolate!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sam, how exciting to have a business name. You're really getting pro-active now! I'm loving your photos on Facebook too.

I've got a parenting quandry and I was wondering what you guys would do in my situation. We live in a nice quiet little dead end street, and this summer all the kids in the street have been getting out and riding their bikes, playing frisbe, etc. etc. together. This is brilliant and exactly why we moved here in the first place. However. One of the families, is living in a comission house, 5 kids, mum and grandma in a small 3 bedroom home. The youngest 5 year old twins talk like a 2 y/o (Me ta o = I can hop). and at least one of the others have learning difficulties. Their diet seems to consist of junk food and they're allowed to roam the street relatively unsupervised. It's these kids who are the ones who have made good friends with Nick. Nick looks forward to when Jaydan (5 and the only boy) gets home from school every day. Most afternoons 3+ of them make themselves at home on our front step.

Now the thing I can't work out is what it should do, and where i should draw the line. And am i just being a snob? At the moment, I let them play together out the front in the afternoon, under supervision. But If I don't let Nick go out because I'm busy cooking dinner etc. they just make themselves at home outside our front door, and then Nick runs around inside getting all excited (unless he unlocks and opens the door, in which case he gets in big trouble).

They aren't the friends I'd choose for Nick, but they are pretty well behaved, and sharing (but also make free with Nick's stuff, which he sometimes struggles with) and well mannered enough kids.

What do I do when the friendships progress and the kids want to come into our place, and Nick into their place? I feel like my parenting styles are so different from the other mums, but I there's no way I can tell Nick not to be friends with them. But where one goes, the others follow. 5 kids is a lot.

What would you all do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Iluka!

One already! I can't believe how quickly the last year has gone. I hope you all had a wonderful day.

Fish - that's a hard one. I don't know what I'd do. Provided they're not bullying Nick or behaving inappropriately around him then I guess you're doing all you can do. You could circumvent visits to their house by saying Nick is too young to visit by himself. I don't know that this helps at all.

Jules - you must be very close now. Are you feeling like it could be soon?

Deb - how are you feeling? Have you done any pg shots?

We've got more drama with DD and her idiot of a father. I would like to move to the North Pole right now. Ferocious polar bears are more appealing than this.

On the upside I'm pretty happy with some of the photos of the friends we went away with at Easter. I took some photos of them at the beach, just need to edit some then I'll upload them to fb. I learnt so much while taking their photos. I'm hoping to take some photos soon of a friend who is pg.

Thanks
    Reviews
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY ILUKA

That is a tough one Fish! I probably would agree with what Sam says - he's too young to visit on his own just yet. Good luck!!

Well am just over 38 weeks now and completely over it. Have been really sick with a cough/cold/sinusitis and it is just completely wearing me out. The coughing fits make it difficult for me to hold my bladder and have also been causing me to throw up. So am feeling very anti social and exhausted and non human to say the least. Sorry for the whinge.

Sam - am loving your photography. I am learning how to use lightroom at the moment, although my monitor really isn't the best so I think a new computer would help.

Sorry to hear about your frustrations with DD's father!! Hope you sort it out soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jules - so sorry to hear you're feeling so awful. I really, really hope it clears up quickly for you. Have you been to the doctor? Is there anything they can do to help you?

Thanks for your comments about my photos , I've a loooong way to go but I can see the improvement in my photos, and I learn something everytime I set out with the purpose of trying something. I've got a batch of photos that I think are reasonably good, and will be nice once edited but the editing is the issue...

Lightroom did my head in. I'm using a trial version of Photoshop Elements 8 at the moment and I think I like it, but I'm finding it really hard to use. I think I'm just not learning as quickly as I usually do. I'm getting so frustrated. I need to do a course, but it's all down to $$ as usual. The best course I've found is run over a full day, is really comprehensive and cost nearly $500. Too many other bills at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Sam - thanks for your kind words. Yes I am on anti-biotics now and they seem to be really helping thank goodness. If life weren't so busy with our business and getting organised for the arrival of bub, then I'd be able to get some rest too - lol. We have just put up our new website actually. You'll have to let me know what you think. I know what you mean about the editing - it takes forever doesn't it. We have so so many photos to be edited. Holiday photos from last year that we still haven't got round to doing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You poor thing Jules I hope the antibiotics do their trick and you feel fit enough to go through labour. being heavily pg with a toddler is hard enough! (and your poor pelvic floor!)

Sam You poor thing. If you want to have a good old whinge about DD's dad, please feel free to send me an email. it must be very hard. I find Photoshop very un-intuitive, and I think I've got pretty decent computer skills. A course might be the way to go, when you can get the spare cash.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll just drift and see, try not to be too snobbish, but still guide Nick carefully in what is nice behaviour (for as long as he'll listen )

Thanks for the birthday wishes too Well DD's 8th tooth finally cracked through. 1 day later - another teething poo! I had to have a little cry. We are currently averaging about 2 hours between feeds at night for the last week. I'm starting to wear a little thin on my patient during the days, and get a bit teary, but otherwise not too bad. I can't decide if she's in lots of pain, and so needs comfort, or if she just needs a firm hand and no mercy for a night or two. Either way, I think I will try very hard to get her past 12am tonight without a feed, and then get some sleep myself after that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jules - glad to hear you're feeling better. I hope you manage to get some rest before number 2 arrives. The new website is fantastic! I love your DH's style - so contemporary. I'd love to take photos like that one day...though not weddings, I don't think I could cope with the pressure! I am doing some photos of the pg friend soon - very excited!

Fish - thankyou, I may just do that. Be prepared with a cuppa and a couple of biscuits, it'll be a long one!

I hear you on the two hourly feeds and feeling overwhelmed. Koby was like that for a long time, and i just had to take a stand and break what had become a habit. He certainly didn't need feeding like that at almost 18 months. It takes a bit to build up your reserves in order to do it though because it does mean a few nights where you get even less rest. I slept in his bedroom for as long as it took, so i was there to comfort him without picking him up as soon as he stirred. There certainly were times in the first night or two where I had to pick him up but I did stay with him constantly, I couldn't do the leave to cry thing. I think we're going to have to do it again soon, he's now sleeping in our bed all night again, though peacefully. I've been getting into his bed when I've got insomnia or the hot flushes are too much to sleep so close to him, but after an hour or so, he comes and finds me! Which is incredibly sweet . Last night he climbed into his bed where I was and woke me up saying, Mummy, I want your hand", which he then proceeded to wrap around himself then went back to sleep. I wish I could say that I did too..

Right - must get some housework done. I haven't caught up since having the surgery and then going away for Easter. It's a disaster zone!

Hope you all have a great weekend...

Oh, and Julie, you have my mobile number right? Would you include me on the arrival sms if you choose to send one? Though, I do hope you have another week or so to get better and get some rest!