+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Deb that's great news that you have internet in Nz as well And way to go Isaac. How has today gone? and wees in the right spot yet?

Sam how exciting having a hotel and everything ready. Poor Koby. The nightmares are hard aren't they. Is it alwasy monsters? Have you tried watching monster inc or anything where monsters are friendly? or telling stories about friendly monsters. Sad monsters who are looking for friends under kids beds, but the kids are always afraid of them, but when one brave kids gets to know them, they find they are the best fun friend ever etc etc...

We had a better night last night, only 2 feeds and one wayward toy going off in the wee hours. But this arvo we're back onto teething poos again... so here's hoping it'll crack through and nice and quickly this time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey Fish - yep we've watched Monsters Inc, and that worked for a while. Not sure what's bought about the change this time. I love your suggestion about sad monsters looking for new friends - we'll give that one a go tonight!

Guess what? I'm looking at getting a job as a photographer. I so dont' like what I'm doing now, and short of going back to tafe / uni full time, getting a p/t job with a photographer would be the best way to learn. I've been talking to two who say that experience isn't absolutely necessary, so it's here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sam, yep 7 months is definitely a long time to wait! nice to have something to look forward to though. Isaac has left me for about 3-4 days to stay with his grandparents and it went so fast.
    Congrats on figuring out what you want to do. Your photos on facebook look very professional. will be fun using fancy cameras too.

I have no solutions for nightmares. Thankfully (crossed fingers) Isaac hasn't had any. Its so strange how they instinctively pick these scary things up as they get older. have you got a nightlight? We still have a monitor for Isaac and that has a reasonably strong night light on it. We know he's not scared of the dark though because his favourite thing is to shut himself in the pantry or wardrobe.

Fish, teeth are fun aren't they?! we were kind of lucky that isaac got his first 16 all within 4 months, then his last 4 a couple of months later. one of the mums in our mothers group had a tough time with teeth coming up and then disappearing again. got some bonjela handy?

Isaac has been an absolute champion toilet training. after i last posted he asked to go twice more that evening and did wees & poos. the morning of day 3 he even asked to go at someone elses house even though he had a nappy on!! and since day 2 he has woken up with a dry nappy so must be holding on during the night as well. he was a pain in the guts for the first 2 years and now he is a little angel!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies

Sorry it has been absolutely ages and ages since I posted. Just been so crazy over here.

Deb - sounds like Isaac is doing really well with his potty training. We are sort of training but we just stick him on the potty a couple of times a day and he loves getting it out to go on, but he never really asks iykwim. We just put him on between nappy changes and then he does a wee. We've caught a few poos too when we've noticed he's starting to push. Much easier catching them in the potty than in the nappy. At least you'll only have one in nappies by the time Jessica arrives (love the name). We are thinking of meeting DH's folks in NZ in September. Where abouts are you from? We are thinking Christchurch and Queenstown! What do you think? Perhaps ten days. I want a holiday that's not too go go go (well as much as it can be relaxing with two kids iykwim), but want to see some nice scenery too.

Sam - wow good luck with getting a photography job. That would be awesome. What sort of photography do the photographers do that you've spoken with? We have an assistant for DH now at his weddings and it really helps take the stress off him. He doesn't rely on her so much with the photographs but more with helping carry the gear and getting organised. I think she's learning a lot though and helps out with holding the lighting etc and comes up with lots of ideas. The holiday in bali sounds very exciting. What is the website you used to book the accommodation?

Fish - sorry to hear about the teething and nightmares. I hope you get a good rest very soon. Yes you sound very organised and clever building a dolls house.

Well it was Blake's birthday on Wednesday as you all know - can't believe he's two already. He has settled into his new bed really really well. I'm so so relieved. Am getting the baby's room all organised now. The nesting bug has really set in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gosh, both Isaac and Blake sound like they are going great guns at the toilet training. I'm a bit jealous! we are still needing to do star charts and rewards here to keep Nick motivated. He's been so good but then earlier in the week he had 2 accidents in one day. Sooo frustrating That said, as long as I remind him when he starts jiggling, he's pretty good.

Jules we did the Christchurch to Queenstown run last Oct, and it was just fabulous. One of my all time top holidays. We took 2.5 weeks and included Milford sound in there too. I'd highly recommend the glaciers, and Wanaka is a wonderful little country town. But seriously there wasn't a spot which wasn't gorgeous. Although you have to share a lot of the west coast with a million sandflies at that time of year. It was all super easy to do with a 6m/o too as it's all so similar food and culture wise.

Did you do anything for Blake's birthday? You are so near the end now. I hope you're not feeling too exhausted.

Sam, that's a great idea to do more photography. I've been loving the photos you're posting. What sort of photography are you looking at? How are the nightmares going?

We've had some better nights, and a few more bad ones. but I found out my aweful mood was more to do with my cycle (welcome back) than the kids . I'm looking forward to all the cool stuff happening for national playgroup week next week. Should be fun!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Fish! Hadn't heard about national playgroup week actually. Thanks for the NZ tips. What places did you stay at? Can you recommend anywhere? There will be six of us in total. We had a nice family day at home on Blake's birthday with DH home from work. We gave him his new bedroom/bed for his birthday so it was an exciting morning introducing him to his new room and letting him open all the presents in there. And then in the arvo after his mammoth nap (couldn't believe how well he settled in there), we had my folks over for afternoon tea and we lit candles etc on some cup cakes and had a very civilised afternoon tea together and Blake got to open more presents. We are having an afternoon tea party at our place this Sunday with some of his friends so looking forward to that. Have ordered a chocolate mud cake with thomas on it for him.

Yes just over four weeks to go now. I can't believe how quickly it's gone. I've got my bags almost packed now which is a relief. Will be in hospital for four days which is going to be hard as I'm really going to miss Blake. And he is starting to get a bit clingy to me just lately which is unusual for him. I guess they certainly are intuitive aren't they. I can probably leave hospital earlier if all is going well though so will just see how it all goes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Julie, we were also travelling with another couple for bits of it. We stayed at Arthurs pass (A very cheap 3 bedroom house by the YHA), Hokitika (expensive chalet in a camping ground, complete with farm animals and trampoline), Frans Josef (motel I wouldn't recommend), Haast (NOT a tourist place unless you're ineterested in their one shop selling possum wool stuff), Wanaka (stayed at camping ground which was not great but functional. Wanaka has an amazing public playground down by the lake, in fact everywhere, even little truck stops towns, all seemed to have excellent playgrounds), Te Anau (another 3 bedroom house, which I'd highly recommend
    http://www.photofiordland.co.nz/Stud...20page%201.htm) And Queenstown, in a motel which was functional with a great view of the road out of town - which is a bonus if you travel with Nick ). We took a long time because I wanted to travel no more than 2 hours a day and stop over for a couple of nights at most places. We mostly drove in the middle of the day around sleep time, which did restrict what we stopped and saw a bit, bit it also made it a pretty relaxed trip for us.

Blake's birthday sounds great (so does the mud cake). 4 days is quite a long time, but I'm sure Blake will surprise you with how well he copes. Does this mean you're booked for c/s? They all seem to get clingy towards the end. Nick was terrible, but as soon as the baby comes home they seem to say is THAT all you were fussing about, and they return to normal in no time. 4 weeks! that's so soon. (In case you hadn't noticed yourself )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Jules, have only been to the south island once pre-Isaac so won't be much help sorry. We did the 8 hour train ride from Chch to Greymouth then drove around the top through Nelson, Hanmer Springs, Kaikoura and back to Christchurch. Wouldn't do that with a 2 year old though! What Fish did sounds much better. Are you looking to ski/snowboard? I'm from Tauranga in the North Island.

Fish, Isaac is only good at going to the toilet if we are 3 steps away...or else it is too far! We are still missing some but getting there. He didn't go when he woke up this morning and then promptly went when he hopped in the bath with me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A c/s? Nope am hoping to go natural/drug free - same as last time. The hospital where I'm staying has a standard four night stay in a private room. It's just luxury with hotel type food. I'll see how it goes though. I might enjoy the rest but am sure I'll be missing little Blake loads. Thanks for the tips re New Zealand. Yes wouldn't want to travel more than two hours at a time with two kids. Perhaps we'll have to reconsider our time there and what we see.

I'm not sure Blake understands what is going on with bubs. Although I'm sure he knows more than what he is letting on!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone,

Jules - that's great about Blake settling into his bed so quickly. Sounds like he's had a wonderful birthday. Four weeks to go! Seems to have gone so quickly. Well, from my perspective, anyway . I sent out a bunch of CV's on Thursday and have had a call from a portrait photographer. We kept missing each others calls on Friday, but he is hiring, and he's not too concerned about lack of experience as he'll provide training. I'm not too fussy about what i'll be doing, so long as it's a start. I am fussy, however, about working weekends and after hours. That just won't work for our family so I might be limiting myself.. will just have to wait and see.

Long term i'd like to do landscape photography - it would be so flexible, no set hours etc. It's good to dream!

Fish - has your cycle just come back since DD? No wonder you've been feeling a bit blah - the first couple (from memory!) are full on. Your holiday to NZ sounded so beautiful. We'd love to do that one day.

Deb - that train ride was on a travel program here a few months ago. It looked spectacular! That's on our list.

Well - feeling a bit blah myself today. Actually, I'm a teensy bit hungover . We went out last night with friends who have 2 yo boy as well. We had drinks and dinner at Little Creatures Brewery then back to their place and put the boys to bed. Had SUCH a lovely night. There's a massive sandpit in the beer garden so the boys had so much fun too. Then, this morning I had the theory course for my skippers ticket. Hard going while feeling blah! But I passed. Just the practical to go now.