+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy Can anyone help

Can anyone help with ideas to toilet train 4 yr old boy with speech and language disorder? He's just started 3 sessions of kindy and this is a major issue.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to baileysmum For This Useful Post:

BlackDiamond (07-11-2014),dancingchipmunk (02-04-2013),meljemillie (07-03-2014),peanutmonkey (12-12-2013),TSW13 (02-12-2013),wobblermummy (16-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Toilet training child with severe speech and language disorder

I know it is a long time since you posted your question but if you are still having problems we have an 8yo SLI daughter who is finally this year fully toilet trained.

We spent many years using pull-ups for night and tried many times to encourage her not to wet these (we had many more pressing issues).

Late last year we ran out of the pull-ups and she had to go without so we decided to give the night toilet training a go again - I have washed many loads of sheets!! I since purchased (by mail order) a bed protector that goes on top of their sheet and absorbes the wee (saves lots of frustration and the child only needs pj's changed during night). This process has taken a lot of time but has finally worked - if it's not working for you yet don't feel too bad as there are usually a lot of more pressing problems and the pull-ups serve there purpose.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Baileysmum, I'm sorry it's been so long since your post for anyone to get back to you too.

My son has a speech/language disorder and is nearly 5. He will do a wee on the toilet, but flat out refuses to do a poo there. If there is no nappy available he will hold on, and on, and on until he is painfully constipated. He started at a special pre-school and they were really big on the routine of at a certain time, going to the toilet, washing their hands and then eating. He flat out refused to do it and they asked me how I make him go to the toilet. I bluntly told them I don't make him do it and I don't think toileting is his priority. I want him to be able to communicate. If they kept pushing him on something he was so stoic about, then he would've shut down and withdrawn. We wouldn't get anything out of the sessions there if he didn't trust them.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, your driving this ship, he is your child and you know what's best for him. This kindy might just have to modify their plans to suit him (which after all, is what education is about). Don't sweat the little things, figure out what you want from kindy and if toilet training isn't one of them, let them know. If it is a priority for you, I'm sorry I don't have the answer. DS has had bowel and bladder control for years, it's just where he choses to do the poo that freaks people out. My DD is nearly 3, so I figure when she's out of nappies, then so will he be, there will be none in the house so I'll have to be tough!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could you maybe make it a game....chuck some fruitloops in the bowl and make him shoot them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Mrs Casper, what does that condition mean? (Hope you don't think Im nosey, just wondering). I think my little man is just stubborn sometimes and his toileting doesn't have anything to do with his disorder, games, rewards have done nothing. I just keep telling him, after this box of nappies there are no more... cross fingers he doesn't end up in the hospital with chronic constipation.

P.S. DS is nearly 5. Wee's are fine, it's the poo's we have problems with!
    Last edited by Maghan; 21-10-2005 at 18:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can sympathise, my son has autism and his speech isn't the best. He is still untrained but we encourage him to use the toilet before bath time and we're having some success there. Don't worry about the kinder thing, the council worker who has organised my sons support worker for kinder told me the Kinder may carry on about toileting, and too just nod and say he's training as best he can thanks. It's hard as a mum to wonder just how long you will be changing nappies and toilet training, especially when society puts such focus on it. I get the odd twinge of jealousy seeing children who are 'normal' for their age... But I've decided I'm not going to let my focus be blurred by waht other people value. As long as my son gets help to learn how to relate to the world I'm happy for him to toilet train at his own pace. I must say this thread has been a relief for me to find as I truly felt alone with the toileting issue.