+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Returning to study with 2 young children (nursing &mid)

Hi,

Im currently a 23ya SAHM to a 3mo and a 2 1/2yo, I already have a Ba Visual Communication, but have been unable to find work in the field because i have no experience and so i have decided to fully embrace my maternal side and go back to Uni to study Ba Nursing Mid.

I have a supportive partner who works a flexible job, and both our parents are close by so child care is not a problem.

My big question is how people have managed to juggle children, study, placement, households etc?

I know that this is the direction my career needs to take but im not sure if i should be waiting till the children are a bit older. When the course starts they will be 1 and 3. But if i start next year i will be able to enter the work force when the youngest starts school. I know i still have alot of time on my hand because i am a young mum, but i want to give my self the best head start i can and set my self up for success.

Any advice or experiences would be much appreciated.

(sorry it was so long winded im new to foruming )

Me (23) DP (29)
    DS 1 26/11/06

DS 2 21/02/09

Slowly sifting my way through the nappies and washing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't found it too bad with a supportive husband who if I need him to will take the girls to the park, or I go to the library... it does take a bit of getting used to, and really is just like working a full time job, even if you only have classes three days a week!
    With pracs I do two days a week that works out better with the whole childcare situation, DH will drop them off or pick them up depending on if I am on early or late shift.

My house work, again DH picks up the slack in times when I am rushed off my feet.

It is possible, just takes getting used to!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the response mum23girls,

I completed my final year of my prev course when DS1 was a bub- (went back when he was 3 month old) although it was only 2 subjects i was commuting 2 hours each way to get to my campus (crazy i know) so im hoping that my partner has some idea what were getting into.

He is keen to go to the open day and get more of an understanding of whats going on- he never went to uni.

Do you mind if i ask if your doing the Nursing/mid double- or the direct entry?

My hat goes off to you, your doing it with three, and im uming and arring with two lol.