+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    Mamaduke is offline Jacob Louis has arrived!
    Winner 2007 – The ‘Tell It Like It Is’ Straight Shooter Award
    & The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Mirena Side Effects?

Last November I had got a Mirena IUD put in/inserted (I don't know the correct terminology!) and after some spotting which lasted a week I haven't had a period at all and thought this was the best invention ever...

6 months later and I'm starting to think that the little things that I've been noticing over time may be side effects of the Mirena and was wanting to know if anyone else has felt this way.
    I googled 'mirena side effects' but oh my giddy aunt those women go on and on and I don't have the time nor the patience to sit through page after page of rants about their college degrees, what their dog ate last night for dinner or how many times they've farted in the past hour!!

So here are the things I've noticed:

Hair loss - increasing to the point where the shower drain and vac need to be cleaned after each use because of all the hair I'm losing.

Bloating - some days I look like I'm seven months pregnant regardless of what I eat/do not eat.

Mood swings - at first I didn't think it was me...it was just all of the idiots I have to share this earth with but I can fly off into a fit of rage over something so silly as the sound of the dishwasher.

No energy - If no one woke me I honestly think I could sleep for days! I'm constantly tired regardless of how much sleep I get and have no energy whatsoever.

NO LIBIDO - and it's in capitals because there is nothing...not even a niggling (and Papaduke is a cutey!) The way I'm feeling I could care less if I never had sex again ever and same goes for kisses and cuddles.

Fevers - every month I get a fever every day for about a week. Nothing really high, always around 38 but enough of a fever for me to notice.

Inability to lose weight - even with watching what I'm eating, exercising and Reductil my weight stayed the same. After 6wks on Reductil I had lost 1kg...

In the past month it's all got too much and I've been for a colonoscopy to find out if I had diverticulitis (I don't) and full blood work done which all came back fine.

Going by a process of elimination I'm now just left with the Mirena as the cause of all my woes unless I may have missed something else (but I'm pretty sure the 14 tests on my blood would have turned up something if it was there)

Anyone else had these same symptoms and had the Mirena?

And I've just realised I've prattled on like those 'crazy Mirena ladies' so apologies...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    *points finger at crazy Mirena lady*

To me that sounds like something isnt right ... I had a lot of these issues on the Implanon & infact gained weight from the bluddy evil thing

Have you had blood tests to check Thyroid, hormones ( PCOS ) & all that jazz ... Assuming you have being that you had all the other things checked

Otherwise I would ask for a full check up to be done & then if that all comes back fine then well I would have it removed !

The only sure fire way to know is to have it removed & then give it a few months to see how things go !

I have found after the Implanon that all contraception is evil ... Pure evil with what it does to me !

Get Papa to go get the male pill

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This is really interesting to read. I have had mine in for about 13 months now and at first it was the greatest thing in the world.

Lately though my periods are all over the place - can be once a month or 2 times a month. Can last for a day or up to 10 days. It has been driving me nuts.

I too have been super tired - I wake up after 8 hours and it feels like I just lay down.

Must admit my moods are crazy as well - I am also very emotional.

I put all of these symtoms down to emotional exhaustion - too many relationship problems and mass life changes - but I am finally in a good place emotionally and all the symptoms are there.

I too think the merina is the cause and have made an appointment to have it removed - I figure taking it out is the easiest way to figure out if it is the cause - if not then I will just have it put back in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    PP's i could have written your posts myself had most of those symptoms myself.
    I had my mirena for a year, bleed for ages, got bring you to your knees cramps, mood swings, headaches etc.
    Got it removed in April, after feeling like absolute crap for about a week, am feeling my old self again.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 3 Little Pigs For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (07-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a full blood work done a couple of weeks ago including thyroid and other than being 'a little' low in Vitamin D and iron (which the Doctor really wasn't too concerned about other than suggesting I take some Vitamin D and iron supplements), everything came back clear.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default I wouldn't reccomend it...

Hi,

I have had the Mirean in for 3mths and have made an appointment to get it taken out as soon as possible. I too had blood tests done to eliminate other possibilities and after discussing it all with my doctor we decided the Mirena was the culprit!

I have had an increase in anxiety, decrease in libido, depression, fatigue, bloating and unusual/uncomfortable movements in my abdomne, 3kg of weight gain and a very very short temper- which is very out of character.

My doctor has told me to get it out! and I would not suggest to 'stick it out' (as some doctors say) to see if the symptoms go away. For anyone considering getting it done, keep an eye on how it effects you, each woman is different, and I have discovered I am not able to have any form of hormonal contraceptive.

I have found the Mirena & Implanon to be the worst of all that I have tried.
    Last edited by blue pixie; 28-05-2009 at 14:06.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to blue pixie For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (07-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for that blue pixie...
    I've stuck it out since last November and honestly I did want it to work and couldn't rave about it enough but these symptoms are not going away and if anything they're getting worse as time goes on.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamaduke For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (07-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mamaduke - You have described all the problems i had with Mirena down to a T.

I had mine inserted in July 06 and removed in Oct 08 and i thought nothing of these things whilst it was in and put it down to stress etc. But as soon as it was out with a few weeks i felt myself again.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to fox_girl For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (07-03-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mumoflj View Post
    Mamaduke - You have described all the problems i had with Mirena down to a T.

I had mine inserted in July 06 and removed in Oct 08 and i thought nothing of these things whilst it was in and put it down to stress etc. But as soon as it was out with a few weeks i felt myself again.
    Oh that's sounds like bliss...I've forgotten what it's like to feel like 'myself' and until now have attributed the tiredness to running around after 3 boys, the lack of libido to running around after 3 boys, the depression to running around after 3 boys and the mood swings to running around after 3 boys and the earth being filled with morons intent on ruining my day with their stupidity!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamaduke For This Useful Post:

KaraB  (07-03-2015)

BH-KatiesMum is online now Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamaduke View Post
    Hair loss - increasing to the point where the shower drain and vac need to be cleaned after each use because of all the hair I'm losing.

Nope - not had any issues there

Bloating - some days I look like I'm seven months pregnant regardless of what I eat/do not eat.

Not too many issues. Maybe a bit but not too noticeable

Mood swings - at first I didn't think it was me...it was just all of the idiots I have to share this earth with but I can fly off into a fit of rage over something so silly as the sound of the dishwasher.

Yes - but I am pretty moody anyway so is not necessarily coz of the Mirena

No energy - If no one woke me I honestly think I could sleep for days! I'm constantly tired regardless of how much sleep I get and have no energy whatsoever.

I do have this - but actually put it down to the other medications that I take as they are known to cause this.

NO LIBIDO - and it's in capitals because there is nothing...not even a niggling (and Papaduke is a cutey!) The way I'm feeling I could care less if I never had sex again ever and same goes for kisses and cuddles.

Definitely have this. Its horrible. I NEVER feel in the mood.

Fevers - every month I get a fever every day for about a week. Nothing really high, always around 38 but enough of a fever for me to notice.

Occaisionally - but again I put to the other medication

Inability to lose weight - even with watching what I'm eating, exercising and Reductil my weight stayed the same. After 6wks on Reductil I had lost 1kg...

I actually havent tried to lose any, but I have put on a little bit ....
    I have had mine in since about June last year ... I actually had spotting and bleeding on and off for 3 months ish ... and then nothing since.

The only issue I have is the libido thing .... but I dont really have a lot of options - its either the Mirena or a hysterectomy, so I guess its staying for a bit.