ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

Default What to look for in an MCN

To help people make better choices in selecting MCNs I thought I would post some guidance information. There's lots of very knowledgable people out there so I encourage others to add information.

• Ensure all the fabrics used are listed against the nappy or the maker is happy to tell you this information. A reputable nappy maker will be open with the type of fabrics used as it is a selling point of the nappy and will want the customer to be happy with the purchase.
    • The best fabrics for the absorbent layers are bamboo and hemp. Microfibre is also great as an absorbent layer providing it’s ‘coupled’ with bamboo or hemp to minimise compression leaks. Cotton flannelette may also be used but it is not nearly as absorbent and you will need to change the nappy more often. Whilst terry toweling has traditionally be used for cloth nappies it is very bulky and not recommended for MCNs.
    • The waterproof layer should be either pul, procare or a good quality polar fleece.
    • To keep baby dry the best fabrics for the inside layer of the nappy are microfleece or suedecloth.
    • Check out the sizing range. Rise and waist measurements are a much better way of selecting a better fitting nappy. Different nappy makers have different sizing so check the site for sizing information and if in doubt ask the seller for the rise and waist measurements.

There is a wealth of knowledge and experience on BH from MCN users. If you are considering purchasing a nappy and would like a more experienced opinion ask in here. You won’t be able to post a link but if you describe the nappy details there will be people around able to give some feedback.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you're not sure on something with the nappy ask the maker and if there is something you are not happy with ask if they can change it.

It also pays to look around don't jump at the first one you see ask other MCN users as well

If you get something and your not happy say something but remember what is good for one bub isnt always good for another!

Happy Shopping

Thanks
    Reviews
    i was going to ad, always search for reviews/feedback from the internet before trying a new brand

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm hoping this is the right place to post....

I'm wanting to explore the phenomenon that is the MCN, what would be a good brand or two to start off with?

When DD1 was little, cloth nappies were just the plain white square of terry towelling - these new things are just amazing (and quite scary if you ask me).

I'd be most grateful for any suggestions!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by floodprincess View Post
    I'm hoping this is the right place to post....

I'm wanting to explore the phenomenon that is the MCN, what would be a good brand or two to start off with?

When DD1 was little, cloth nappies were just the plain white square of terry towelling - these new things are just amazing (and quite scary if you ask me).

I'd be most grateful for any suggestions!
    I am too in the same position as u, i am currently using disposables but am really interested in this new world i am discovering of MCN's!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow more Feb mummies for MCN's yay

It really depends on bub and their size and how big a wetter they are. Have a look in the cloth discussion threads as a few new mums have asked the same question. If you cant get an answer there PM any of use and we're more than happy to help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    yes you can not ask too many questions here we love conversions

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Unfortunately there is no easy answer to 'what brand/style is best'. What works on one baby really well can be rubbish on the next baby. I believe some places offer starter packs where you can purchase a selection of types of nappies - that might be the way to go? Other than that I would read through some of the threads in this section to get an idea of brand names and what people like and look for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all,

Just wanted to jump in here and ask a question about the fabrics. In reading about cloth verses disposable I kept seeing this thing about disposables and raised scrotal temperatures because of the plastic. This may sound like a dumb question but is PUL a plastic or plastic hybrid? If so is it still better for the temperature thing or is there a better fabric for the waterproofing layer?

I love the idea of cloth, my head is swimming from information overload though. Can't wait to start building up a collection but I'm trying to restrain myself and take others advice about starting small with a few different brands to trial them. I'm so glad I am having my baby in the days of no folding required, yay!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Secondhand MCNs

A good way to start off is to try picking up a variety of second hand MCNs to work out which style suits you best.

Most (reputable) sellers will list whether there are any problems with the nappy, but it can be a good idea to just check for:

Stains
    Stitching
    Condition of waterproofing (PUL can 'delaminate')
    Elastic can go in the back/legs
    Are boosters included

They're the main five I can think of at the moment.....anyone else??