ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think spending that much on a wedding is ridiculous..JMO

Money is better spent elsewhere..or just kept in the bank!

I loved my wedding and it didn't cost anymore than $2000. No-one helped pay for it as it's just my mum on my side...and "his" parents couldn't part with $5 let alone hundreds!!

100% happy with our day...and so was all involved

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Do people include the jewellery in the cost of the wedding, because if not, it was more like an $18,000 wedding, as I think all the rings were over $10k (including engagement ring). They just included everything in the figure as it's all part of it.

While I could never spend that much, I could see how you could spend that much. I think the dress including alterations was about $3k, hair and make up $1k, reception at least $6k, cake and flowers $1k, celebrant and venue $1k, bridesmaid dresses $1k, photographer $?(and so on and so forth).

I loved being involved in the day, but I'm always suprised at adults taking money from their parents for weddings. My friends are in their early 30s, both professional middle income earners (say, about $70-80k each) without dependents. Their parents are semiretired and don't have a lot of extra money. But in saying that, the parents really wanted to contribute. It meant a lot to them, and they were really touched/happy with the day. The parents wouldn't have it any other way. If it was my dad, on the other hand, even if he gave me $50, I'd never hear the end of it and he's tell everybody he would ever meet that "he'd paid for my wedding".

I'm glad the general consensus is against the expensive wedding...makes me feel less tight fisted. It was absolutely beautiful though. I'm not much of a crier but I started crying walking down the aisle!

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Even if I didn't have to pay for my wedding, I never would have spent that much.

Our wedding cost $6,000. My make-up artist (and bridesmaids cousin LOL) got married 6 months before us and their wedding cost $60,000. She told my bridesmaid that she thought a $6k wedding would be cheap and nasty and then after the fact, she did nothing but rave about what we'd managed to achieve with just $6k. She even said she realised what a waste of money it was to spend so much on their own wedding.

And yes, $6k included EVERYTHING - suit hire, my dress, reception, drinks, jewellery - EVERYTHING.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No i wouldn't have an expensive wedding.

There are too many people who are starving for me to justify spending thousands on just one day.

I would spend as little as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't know the exact amount but we spend around $8000 on the wedding (for everything except the rings).
    It was mostly all my money as at the time DH didn't have saving. He paid for some stuff as we went and his folks spent a small amount (few hundred).
    I did my best to not spend to much - i didn't care for a fancy wedding but even a cheap wedding seemed to cost the earth.
    I still hold a grudge that rude people ordered triple drinks and let their children order multiple soft drinks on our bar tab (10 each - seriously) as that cost me thousands I had someone watching the tab for me but they turned out to be hopeless. I am still mad about that cost
    We did spend a ridiculous amount on our honeymoon but it was the best holiday of my life so worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MothersMilk View Post
    I still hold a grudge that rude people ordered triple drinks and let their children order multiple soft drinks on our bar tab (10 each - seriously) as that cost me thousands I had someone watching the tab for me but they turned out to be hopeless. I am still mad about that cost
    Yeah, there was a table of the bride's extended family last night, and they were such freeloaders, and miserable to boot. They arrived at the reception half an hour early and were throwing back drinks, then they left early without even saying goodbye to the bride (who was in the bathroom at the time)!

And, that table would have made the smallest contribution to the wishing well/present table. But they were "obligation invitees" to keep the parents happy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We spent 30k on our wedding - not including honeymoon or jewelley - and I dont regret if for a second, we could afford it and it was a really special day..

But I agree that if you cant afford it, it is crazy to put yourself into debt for the wedding when its the MARRIAGE that really counts..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We paid for our wedding ourselves from our savings. We saved up for about a year to pay for it. We were both in our thirties when we got married and it seemed strange to accept money from our parents to pay for our celebration given we had both lived out of home for so long.

I think the wedding itself cost about 10K, we just wanted to have a wonderful party with our family and friends and we had a small riverside ceremony and cocktail reception.

Our honeymoon cost about another 10K , we went to New York, New Hampshire and LA.

It was actually good for us to get into the habit of saving because the following year we saved about the same amount to pay for our house deposit. I don't begrudge the money we spent because we had a wonderful time which we will always remember.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by livly View Post
    But I agree that if you cant afford it, it is crazy to put yourself into debt for the wedding when its the MARRIAGE that really counts..
    that reminds me. I've heard of wedding finance. Do people really borrow for a wedding?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NewMe View Post
    one of my best friends took out a personal loan to pay for their wedding(and her parents re-mortgaged their house to give them 10k). Crazy if you ask me! Oh and she wracked up the credit cards with "incidentals". 2 years after their wedding and they're still paying it off - I just couldn't do that.
    Oh, goodness, there's "good" debt (ie. an asett that will appreciate, and bad debt and very bad debt.

I would suggest that there are people that separate before they've paid off the wedding the loan!

In saying that, I once put a few thousand dollars on my credit card for part of an overseas holiday. It was just after uni and I was starting full time work as soon as I got back, and paid it off in 6 months, but still. That would be "very bad debt" by my own rationale.