+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Risk of miscarriage higher with 1st pregnancy?

Hi all. I recently miscarried with pregnancy #1 - I thought I was 7 weeks, but found out when I had my scan. Someone told me that the risk of miscarriage is higher with first pregnancies. Does anyone know whether this is true?

They said that sometimes when a woman has been on the pill for many years (like I had), first pregnancies often miscarry early, but that once the system has cleared itself, second and subsequent pregnancies are more likely to be problem-free. I guess I'm just looking for something to make me less scared about getting pregnant again and worrying the same thing will happen.

Bev

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi bdm
    I'm sorry for your loss.

On the upside, while studying embryology I was stunned to learn that most people are not even aware they are pregnant and miscarry their first conception. Apparently it's quite normal for the first conception to have a spontaneous miscarriage, and in most cases, the mother doesn't even know it. It may just seem like a strange period.

I don't know if this is the place for this bit of info, but I will put it here and let everyone else decide where it belongs... but for those who have miscarried (particularly in the 1st trimester), this is not a matter of the mother not being able to "carry" the baby, or necessarily due to anything the mother has done. Most misarriages are apparently the body's way of terminating a non-viable foetus. This means the body knows there is something not right with the cell division after fertilisation, and so it thinks it's a foreign matter trying to attack the body.
    (sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread. )

Thanks
    Reviews
    I read somewhere that 1 in 4 women miscarry and can often not even know about it, not realising they're pregnant and that you're more likely to miscarry second pregnancy if you had a boy first. But who knows how much truth is behind this! I think miscarriage is a real concern for any pregnant woman, especially if you've already experienced a miscarriage and want to try again. I am 11 weeks pregnant and had a bleed at 9 weeks. I was so scared I was going to miscarriage. Luckily I didn't but if I had I would definetaly be trying again, to give Lucy a brother or sister. All the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    hi hun im so sorry for you loss i dont know about the risk of misscarrage being higher with first pregnancy.. but i lost my first pregnancy aswell... at around 10 weeks.. like yourself i was devistated.. but there is hope.. i just gave birth to a healthy baby.. after my misscarrage i was so heart broken.. and like yourself scared to get pregnant.. and when i did i was scared i would misscarrage again.. every time i went to loo.. i was scared i would see blood.. just try to stay as positive as you can.. and for me i try to think that maybe my body knew that there was something wrong with the baby.. and thats why i lost it.. and i do believe that everything happens for a reason and maybe it just wasnt meant to be yet.. now looking back, if i hadnt misscarried i wouldnt have my ds.. when the time is right and you do fall pregnant again (i do believe a doctor will tell u, to try and wait until 3 months after misscarrage before conceiving again?) but when u do fall pregnant againg.. try to keep a positive mind.. and hopefully you will have a healthy pregnancy and deliver a healthy baby.. my heart goes out to you.. but just know your not alone.. misscarrage is very common.. but me, you and a lot of other ladies still know how devistating it is..

my thoughts are with you xox

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Hi BDM

Hello there

An mc is such a horrible thing - I hope you are looking after yourself!

I don't know about the first pregnancy being a higher risk of mc - I do know for each thing that you can hear someone say that is reassuring stat wise there are others who will say something that will unnerve you.

Just trust yourself and trust your body. When the time is right you will have a beautiful baby

Make sure you treat yourself well - an mc is a major loss and I think would be even harder with your first pregnancy

Good luck, I'll be thinking of you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    i had 2 m/c before i had my dd's, they were very early about 7 weeks.

thought i'd add, that after my second m/c i was pg with in 2 months

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think when it comes down to it there are no guarantees of who is going to mc and who isn't!
    But I think like all the ladies here you just need to have a strength inside of yourself to keep on going no matter what happens.
    In the moment it is pretty devastating - I know- since my history isn't all that gr8! Feel free to check out my post in this section:-(
    Emotionally and mentally you find a way to cope with the exp and you know that the preg' was terminated because there was something wrong with bub. It's natures way.
    After my 1st mc though I went onto have a beautiful healthy baby girl! Now I'm trying to give her company!!
    It will happen eventually...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks to everyone for their replies. Its great hearing all your success stories following a M/C.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello,

Firstly

My first pregnancy ended in an early miscarrage. I am one of those that if I didn't know when I did I would not have known. Like you, I was told the stats of losing a fist pregnancy.

I am now 19w 2d preg and he is a very healthy little bub in there. There is def alot of success stories following a m/c.

Take care of yourself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Im sorry to hear about your loss

i girl i work with said to me, when i was having a few probmes when i around 9 weeks that you always loose your first anyway.
    i thought that was a bit wierd, first i'd ever heard of it

i dont think it really makes a difference wheather its your first or 31st. Your body just knows if something is wrong.
    As hard as it is, i think things happen for a reason.