+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default hi there

Our little boy Bede was IUGR or SGA because he was only plugged into the membranes of the placenta which he shared with his identical twin. His poor growth was contributed directly to this, just they way the cookie crumbles or I should say how the cells divided and implanted. Other factors may have included that because of the uneven placental share, there was also a struggle for growth hormone in the very early stages of the pregnancy. Which we have been told contributed to his hypospadious and ingural hernia. The upside to being under so much stress was that he came out swinging, bellowing and tolerated feeds straight away. Quite a sight to see such a tidy ball of energy he was 34 weeks and 1.2 kgs. His brother who was 2.2 had a much rougher start.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    this is just a bit of a vent, somewhere to cry really as you lot are the only ones who really understant what its like to have an IUGR bub...

So DS had yet another app with his paed at the Royal Childrens today... and they are a bit more concerned than usual
    he is 6.5 months now & weighs 5.6kg. they have made us app's to see a Dietician their to see what needs to be done & try to get him to gain even more calories as he isnt really putting on any weight... he has started solids a few weeks ago, but this still isnt making him gain weight
    i sick of expalining to people why he is still fitting in newborn clothes
    aswell we have to have fortnightly app's with his paed, and extra app's with his MCHN.
    he is also not as strong as they would like him to be at this age. he hasnt rolled yet (not even close) and when she tested his strength (back & neck etc) he wasnt as strong as he should be... she said this is likely due to the fact that he doesnt have as much muscle & weight on his body as other babies, therefor not being able to be as strong. i think im going to have a late learner.
    ahhhhhh sorry about the vent, i just needed to get it out.. its just so metally straining being a sinle mum with a baby who has this aswell as other ongoing problems
    oh and did i mention they are refering him to a sleep clinic too cause he doesnt sleep

sorry cry over

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So sorry I didnt see this post till now hun,

I am sure this will be no comfort to you but DS was, similar, very slow to gain weight and he couldnt sit up until he was 13m old! That's because he had low muscle tone (hypotonia) but I am sure your little man will do much better than that.

Which formula is he on? Are you adding any fortifier to it? What are his poos like?

Big Hugs!

And the rest of you, how are you are doing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well to give the thread a wee bump,

This week DS will be going back up to the Childrens for his growth and development clinic and to be tested for ASD.

So that should be interesting.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Update

Hi all,
    Just popping in to give you an update ds is now 10 1/2 wks. He's weighing approx 3.80kg (8lb 6), and 52cms. He's just starting to grow out of prem 2 clothes and into newborn.
    How is everyone else doing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    ugh I just can not get DD1 past 10ish kgs,shes so active she burns everything off! She's healthy as a horse though so I guess were pretty lucky but im sick of peoples comments! Her baby sister (theyre 19 mnths apart) is wearing all her clothes and fits most of them better than she does!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone. I'm new here. My name is Rachel. I'm 27 (almost 28) and married to Ryan (32). We have been together for nearly 7 years.

We got pregnant in 2007. I had complications from 18 weeks on. Our daughter carly wasn't growing properly. At 18 weeks she was measuring 2 weeks behind. As time went on she got further and further behind in growth. She had a brain defect, heart defect and extremley low fluid. Her IUGR was allowing her head to be much bigger than her body. She has a 2 vessel cord as well. At 28 weeks she was having reverse diastolic flow in her umbilical cord and the doc sent me right away to be delivered. carly was born at 28w3d weighing 13 ounces (380 grams). She lived for 4 months before passing away from her heart defect.

My doctors said that that pregnancy was just a fluke and wouldn't repeat itself. I had all sorts of blood clotting disorder test and u/s and such. Everything came back normal. I do have a bicournate uterus with a septum though.

In 2008 I got pregnant again. At 18 weeks Hannah was on target with her growth. She had no defects either. Everything seemed to be going well. At 25 weeks Hannah was a week behind in growth but my doctor wasn't concerned. My doctor refused to do any further u/s on me. At 32 weeks Hannah had stopped moving. I wet to labor and delivery and her heart had stopped. She was delivered at 32w2d weighing 2 pounds 15 ounces and 16 inches long. She also suffered from IUGR. It went untreated. My MFM doctor thought it could have been prevented had my regular OB sent me back to him.

So I've had 2 babies, both with IUGR and no reason as to why with either. We are TTC again in a couple of weeks. This time I'm going to be on complete bed rest with a NEW high risk OB and a MFM (maternal fetal medicine) doctor. Fingers crossed it works this time.

Why did you all have IUGR? Have you been given answers? I'm grasping at straws here and there isn't much to grasp in the sense of IUGR online.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fetal Hope Organisation based in the US

Hi Rachel, I have sent you an email, but just in case you didnt get it...I noticed from your profile that you are based in the US. Did you know that here is an organisation based in the US called 'Fetal Hope'
    Hope that this might help
    Rebekah

Fetal Hope provides emotional support to families and friends upon a diagnosis, financial support and medical transportation to those in financial need, diagnosis support from other families that have experienced like fetal syndromes and bereavement support (through HeartStrings Connections). For help upon diagnosis, please call us at 1.877.789.HOPE (4673), 24 hours a day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rachelrhin0 View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm new here. My name is Rachel. I'm 27 (almost 28) and married to Ryan (32). We have been together for nearly 7 years.

We got pregnant in 2007. I had complications from 18 weeks on. Our daughter carly wasn't growing properly. At 18 weeks she was measuring 2 weeks behind. As time went on she got further and further behind in growth. She had a brain defect, heart defect and extremley low fluid. Her IUGR was allowing her head to be much bigger than her body. She has a 2 vessel cord as well. At 28 weeks she was having reverse diastolic flow in her umbilical cord and the doc sent me right away to be delivered. carly was born at 28w3d weighing 13 ounces (380 grams). She lived for 4 months before passing away from her heart defect.

My doctors said that that pregnancy was just a fluke and wouldn't repeat itself. I had all sorts of blood clotting disorder test and u/s and such. Everything came back normal. I do have a bicournate uterus with a septum though.

In 2008 I got pregnant again. At 18 weeks Hannah was on target with her growth. She had no defects either. Everything seemed to be going well. At 25 weeks Hannah was a week behind in growth but my doctor wasn't concerned. My doctor refused to do any further u/s on me. At 32 weeks Hannah had stopped moving. I wet to labor and delivery and her heart had stopped. She was delivered at 32w2d weighing 2 pounds 15 ounces and 16 inches long. She also suffered from IUGR. It went untreated. My MFM doctor thought it could have been prevented had my regular OB sent me back to him.

So I've had 2 babies, both with IUGR and no reason as to why with either. We are TTC again in a couple of weeks. This time I'm going to be on complete bed rest with a NEW high risk OB and a MFM (maternal fetal medicine) doctor. Fingers crossed it works this time.

Why did you all have IUGR? Have you been given answers? I'm grasping at straws here and there isn't much to grasp in the sense of IUGR online.
    him so sorry to hear about the tough road you have had to go down.... it must be so hard, i cant even imagine.
    It sounds as if you are keeping as positive as possible which is really great to hear

as far as knowing why my son had developed IUGR, i have no idea. I had constant US, CTG scans, growth scans, other monitoring , you name it.. but they couldnt figure out why this happened, then at 37 weeks they decided to induced me immediatetly.. im so greatful i made it that far in pregnancy, they didnt think i would.
    He is still tiny, just hit spot on 6kg at 8months. his height & head have reached the charts now, but his weight is no were near the charts.. he is abit behind i think, he still refuses to be on his tummy, cant sit etc so i think im going to have a very late crawler/walker... he seems happy tho, sooky but happy
    we have on going appointements every 4 weeks with his paed at the Royal Childrens Hospital & he has recently been put on a fortifier added to his formula, extra calories ect, hopefully that will bulk him up a bit.. but no results as yet... he has been on it for a month now... i just wish he would eat solids.. he seems to have a feeding aversion
    enough from me now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMetal View Post
    him so sorry to hear about the tough road you have had to go down.... it must be so hard, i cant even imagine.
    It sounds as if you are keeping as positive as possible which is really great to hear

as far as knowing why my son had developed IUGR, i have no idea. I had constant US, CTG scans, growth scans, other monitoring , you name it.. but they couldnt figure out why this happened, then at 37 weeks they decided to induced me immediatetly.. im so greatful i made it that far in pregnancy, they didnt think i would.
    He is still tiny, just hit spot on 6kg at 8months. his height & head have reached the charts now, but his weight is no were near the charts.. he is abit behind i think, he still refuses to be on his tummy, cant sit etc so i think im going to have a very late crawler/walker... he seems happy tho, sooky but happy
    we have on going appointements every 4 weeks with his paed at the Royal Childrens Hospital & he has recently been put on a fortifier added to his formula, extra calories ect, hopefully that will bulk him up a bit.. but no results as yet... he has been on it for a month now... i just wish he would eat solids.. he seems to have a feeding aversion
    enough from me now.

My 1st daughter, Carly, who lived for 4 months, she had a oral aversion too. Well I say that, all I really know is that she NEVER sucked and NEVER swallowed, not even her own secreations. In 4 months she was hard to grow. She only got to 4 pounds even.

Did you have any other IUGR babies?