+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fortifier

Thanks Naiwen, that's really helpful. I will push for EBM plus fortifier.

Our baby girl was 34 weeks gestation at birth, but her weight was more like only 27 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hey DS was 29+6 byt about 27 weeks weight so not dissimilar to yours, I was lucky as the hospital DS was in was 'baby friendly' and not allowed to suggest formula unless there was no mothers milk available.

Babies can absorb EBM more easily as it is made for them (makes sense LOL) and premmie breast milk that you express is acutally really rich in minerals and calories and antibodies so the more they can get the better!

LOL now I sound like a nutty breastfeeding pusher but it's just because I know it's so good for premmies and giving formula can mess with your supply and your babies tummy.

How are you coping with everything?

MyFourCubs is offline MyThreeCubs plus one- I am the luckiest Mum in the world...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks Naiwen, I do feel better, lol.

I agree with the breat milk if you can- as I said earlier I would do Ebm top ups before I introduced formula. They are so little and sensitive I think formula can be a bit much for them to digest? The paed told me at her check up (must have been at about 8 weeks I think?) that she was not gaining enough weight and to start her on formula. I was really upset as she WAS gaining, just slowly, and she was healthy and alert and looked good, just small! The nurses I spoke to said that you need to take their start weight as a consideration- whereas a 4kg bub may be putting on 300- 400lbs a week that just isn't a realistic expectation for a 2kg bub whose weight gain is likely to be at half that weight. Use your own judgement, you will know if bub isn't getting all she needs and wet and dirty nappies are just as big a sign as weight gain when it comes to that.

Hannah started to go backwards in her weight at about 14 months, she became so skinny she looked frightfully small and people were commenting again! Turned out she was allergic to dairy etc and when she started on the elecare she took off in weight and looked good again.She is now on the 70% percentile for her weight (don't hurt me, lol!) but she is very tall and that's where she gets the extra percents. She was also not on the chart to begin with. So there is hope!!!!!!!
    Last edited by MyFourCubs; 19-06-2009 at 22:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by naiwen View Post
    Just ignore the eejits that tell you they must be off bottles at 12m or all their teeth will fall out .

Total bullcr"p, DS is two, still has 4 bottles a day, has all his teeth with no caires and has them because other wise he would be dropping percentiles even faster than he already is.

What works for chubby, eat lots of food normal kids does not work for out petite munchkins .
    We had our appointment today and they actually told me to try to aim for 4 bottles a day! I got a shopping list of things to buy for her to eat which has made me feel a bit upset because it goes against everything I believe in, I need to let her "play with food" so we know she likes crunchy, crumby texture so I need to buy chips, cheezels, rice crackers, crackers popcorn I hope this is going to help her. I am glad that they dont judge as I was feeling bad that she seems to have a fetish for fish fingers but their shopping list makes me look like mother of the year!! So we are going to have a go with messy food play and "fast disolving" foods. All mushy food, meat, fruit etc is off limits for now. This is so challenging, I am feeling a little concerned that she has not gained any weight in over 6 months and clinic wants me to see our pead again and increase formula feeds. For our mummies with IUGR babies oral eating aversion in common so if you think your little one has an eating problem get onto your local hospital for help!

MyFourCubs is offline MyThreeCubs plus one- I am the luckiest Mum in the world...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    How bizzare!! I wonder what happens in a year or so when that's all she eats though? Hannah only eats flippin vegie chips and rice crackers and popcorn as it is. My fault, entirely for caving into her stubborness. At least you have a medical authorisation so it absolves you of responsibility!! Lol.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default identical twins - 34 weeks 2.2kgs & 1.2kgs

In October 07 my mono/di twin boys were born electively at 34 weeks. Cutting a long story very short, my little boys are a true miricle. Like so many of you, my pregnancy was a very stressful one. We found we were expecting twins at the 7 week scan. I was so nervous, because I had lost a pregnancy at 12 weeks 6 month prior.
    We were congratulated wholeheartly by the doctor, but at the same time our world was rocked when it was also pointed out that it was a high risk pregnancy.
    ( Even though their heartbeats were perfect there was days difference in the sizes at that stage) The boys were born at 34, the bigger twin Thady had acute RDS, but our little bloke, who weighed in at 1.290kgs was thriving and just happy to be out getting some food.
    I'm so glad that I have found this forum, as I think that the shock and the stress has now caught up with me. I was so possitive throughtout my pregnancy, we were scanned weekly from about week 16 & at one stage we were advised to expect the impending demise of one, if not both the babies. I meditated, juiced veggies and drank 100grams of pure protein in milk each day( yummo) Just the smell of that stuff makes me want to vomit.
    Anyway the boys are now 22 months old. We put them to bed this evening for the first time in big boy beds.
    I would be really interested to hear from any other parents with mono twins that have been affected by what we have been told was a marginal cord insertion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey Rebekaho, you may find more help in the mulitples section? Glad you found BH, there are loads of mummies with all kinds of situations here so you will surely find the support you need.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hey eveyone just wondering if you all knew the reason as to why bubs developed IUGR?
    it does my head in as they couldnt tell me why this happened to DS, i feel so guilty everyday that maybe I did something wrong to cause this

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought thta mine was probably a combo of not enough time between babies and LOADS of scar tissue in my uterus from previous births which resulted in placenta praevia. But who knows? They are just my personal expanations!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Newbie

Hi everyone,
    Let me tell you something about myself and babe. Our little DS was born 17th July ( 39 wks ) weighing 1840 kg (4 lb 1 ). We were told it was iugr 2 days before, they said it was due to him being my 4th, placenta problems and I'd only gained 8 kg thoughout the entire pregnancy. Since then I've looked for people who have gone though the same thing and can give me advice. So glad I found this. Ds had problems with temp and jaundice, but apart from that is healthy. We only stayed in hospital 3 days. Was last weighed thursday and weighed 4 lb 5, how much weight did you babies put on in the 1st weeks?
    Sorry if I might ask stupid questions but as you all know there is not a lot of info out there on iugr.