+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hope4mum View Post
    Here are some photos of our daughter, aged two weeks and now at 1160 grams. Hope the links work.
    Photo 1
    Photo 2

awwwww she is Adorabubble
    such a strong lil thing, congrats to you

MyFourCubs is offline MyThreeCubs plus one- I am the luckiest Mum in the world...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I would ahve loved to have this thread when my dd was dx IUGR- good on you for starting it

My dd's birth story is linked in my signature but in a nutshell:

She grew normally until about 30 weeks, although I had been previously dx with placenta praevia and had issues with bleeding. At 32 weeks at my regular appointment with my ob he found that she had hardly grown. My fundal height had not changed in 4 weeks and neither had my weight. I was sent for ultrasounds which confirmed that she was small, although appeared healthya nd my placenta seemed ok.

between 32 and 35 weeks I had constant monitoring and requent scans, all that showed that she was small but slowly growing. At 35 weeks however a scxan showed that I ahd lost all my fluid and my placenta was basically conking out. (In laymans terms!) I was admitted to hospital immediately and she was delivered 2 days later when the feotal monitor indicated that she was in distress. She weighed 4lb 13oz, (approximately 32 weeks gestation.) Luckily as I'd been given steroids previously her lungs were good. She was in a humidicrib for 2 days ona glucose drip as her blood sugar was low and she had trouble keeping her body temp. (Common for low weight babies.) However, by the end of the week she was discharged with me weighing 2.08kg. (Yikes!) But she was healthy, feeding ok and the doctors were happy with her.

The first 6 months she was slow to gain weight but otherwise very healthy. feeding ws tough as she was slow to suck and the first 9 motnhs I gave her EBM top ups. Bloody exhausting!)

By 12 months she had caught up in her growth and was developing perfectly normally. She was still "little' but on the charta nd looked fine. (People were no longer stopping me in the street to comment on how tiny she was!)

She turned 2 at the end of April and the paed says her development is great- she is actually advanced in most areas and behind in none. She is a fesity little muppit and so bloody stubborn I have no doubts as to how she made it here! She is actually on the 100% for her height now and about the 70% for her weight so she is skinny but looks very healthy and well.

One thing the nurses told me when she was born and I was scared to death is this:
    "babies that have already had to fight on the inside often come out very resillient. They have had to be tough and therefor come out fighting and stay fighting."

One worth remembering!

Best of luck to others in the same boat. I am sending lots and lots of and your way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hunt & Deegs mummy, I just looked up Russell Silverman syndrome and DS has every single symptom on the checklist!

I am going to get onto the paed about this as it could explain so much.

Wow just cannot believe how many of those symptoms match up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    great idea.

So heres our story.
    My son Kaiden was born at 33 weeks weighing 1425 grams due to sever PE. He had stopped growing somewhere between 25-27 weeks. Kaiden spent his first 2 and a half weeks in an isolete and the first month of his life in the scbu. Hes now 3 months old and is doing amazingly well. He now weighs 3.7kgs and doesnt seem to have any development issues.

will post pics when i figure out how to

Thanks
    Reviews
    ok hope this works

This is Kaiden 2 days after birth
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/ph...5&id=522188302

and kaiden today (in his first 0000 suit)
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/ph...0&id=522188302

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by naiwen View Post
    Hunt & Deegs mummy, I just looked up Russell Silverman syndrome and DS has every single symptom on the checklist!

I am going to get onto the paed about this as it could explain so much.

Wow just cannot believe how many of those symptoms match up.
    DS1 has alot of symptoms as did I when I was younger
    its not very common as alot of doctors haven't heard of it before
    I would print of this
    (this website is very informative on IUGR/SGA babies) in case he has never heard of it before

here are some pics of my DS1
    the 2mths and 2yrs are taken with the same thing to show how much he had grown its about 45cms high
    a few hrs old and all swallon
    a few days old
    1 months old and just home
    8wks old
    2mths old
    2yrs old
    Now 3

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is now 13 days old, she was born at 37wks weighing 2.4kg. Early in pregnancy (12wks) we were told I had low papp-a which can causes babies to be small (papp-a is a growth hormone in the placenta) and can causes the placenta to stop functioning early. Ob said at that point he was aiming to get me to 34wks. At 20 wks we also found out we there was only a single umbilical artery (instead of 2) which also causes small babies.

I was monitored regularly with scans and from 24wks DD was small (sitting around the 10th%). Around 30wks the fluid started to reduce and there was restricted blood flow through the cord so thought we were going to have to deliver but the following scan showed things had improved.

AT 36wks scans showed DD hadn't grown for 2wks, her head was bigger than it should have been and there was restricted blood flow through cord, so decision was made to deliver at exactly 37wks. The prediction at that point was DD was 2kg.

At the birth (c-sect coz she was breech) we were pleasantly surprised she was 2.4kg.

She did very well for the first couple of days but then would not feed from breast or bottle so was admitted to SCN. She was in there for 3 days.

She has now been home for 6 days and doing well. I'm trying breast feeding twice a day and EBM for the other feeds. She doesn't attach well but when she does attach (thanks to a nipple shield) she sucks quite well. I see the MCHN tomorrow and if her weigh gain is good then I will start to increase the number of breast feeds I do.

She is a very sleepy baby which Dr and nurses all say is typical of a 37wker and small babies. I have to wake her for her feeds and then she goes straight back to sleep.

We are not expecting any health issues but she does have to have a hip ultra sound because she was breech and a kidney ultrasound because of the single umibical artery - it can cause kidney problems.
    Last edited by bridee; 14-06-2009 at 13:46.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bridee For This Useful Post:

Carpe diem 2013  (26-04-2014)

MyFourCubs is offline MyThreeCubs plus one- I am the luckiest Mum in the world...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    With all that going on you did an awesome job keeping her in there for so long!

The sleepiness is very normal but is a pain. We used to try everythign to wake up hannah and keep her awake- tickling her feet, sponging her with a cold washer- poor little thing! In the end I would feed her for as long as she stayed awake and then express the left over in a bottle to give to her after her next feed. They suck much easier out of a bottle so they tireless easily and they can feed from the bottle even when they are half asleep. I used to give her 3 expressed bottles a dayand kept this up til she was about 6 months old before I started decreasing them. this was ultimately what made her gain weight- the breast feeds alone were not doing it and I was feeding round the clock!

best of luck and congrats on your little miracle bubba.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Great thread, both of mine were IUGR. DS was induced at 37 weeks, he weighed 2.4kg at birth, he had hypolglycemia and could not maintain his body tempreture he had severe juandice as well. I was not able to breastfeed him as his sucking reflex was not properly developed and we had to get him to gain weight, so formula and EBM was what we did. He is now a happy healthy 5 year old. Our DD was born in 07 I kept a positive outlook that history would not repeat itself and had regular scans etc... At 30 weeks everything started going down hill, her growth slowed down at 33 weeks she was in the 30th percentile for growth, by 36 weeks she was in the 20th percentile and I had lost most of my fluid (which is a sign of fetal distress as they ingest it) so morning after my scan at 36 weeks she was born via C/S (due to being breech as well!!) she was 2.4 kg as well had hypoglycemia and low body tempreture. She actually was no where near as sick as our DS and I put that down to being born via C/S as not having to endure the birth. She recovered quickly and breastfed with gusto!! She is now a happy and somewhat healthy 21 month old. She does have an oral eating aversion - this condition I have found out is directly linked to bubs with with IUGR (but that is another story for another day) We are TTC no 3 and I am fully prepared for the same case scenario again I am still tossing up whether to try for a VBAC or have another C/S

Thanks
    Reviews
    Couple of pics of my little man. He's now almost 3 weeks old and has gained 300g! He's feeding a lot better now, he seems to guts a lot and then spill a bit but as long as he's gaining weight it's all good!! Bad news though was he failed 3 hearing tests in his right ear so we have to take him to the neonatal audiologist to have it followed up.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...e/DSC05504.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...e/DSC05544.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...ence/aidan.jpg