+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default IUGR Babies Chat/Support...

Updating for anyone reading on IUGR... I had my son Jesse at 36+4. He weighed 2360grams and was 45cm long. Very healthy baby.
    He is now just over 4 weeks old and is doing very well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations Angendrod.

My little one was born at 38+2 weighing 2.62kg. She was spot on for growth at her 30wk scan but had dropped to around the 10th percentile at the 35wk scan. She is now 3 weeks old and doing really well.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MumofRJ For This Useful Post:

angenrod  (15-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey everyone I have had a quick read through the thread, and find it somewhat encouraging. At the 20 week scan it showed bubs was 2 weeks behind growth, and now at 31+ weeks, she is sitting on the 5th percentile. Because there has been such a cloud over her and her prognosis, I have really struggled emotionally throughout it. (This is my 2nd child- the first was fine) I have no idea what to expect with an IUGR baby (no known cause, I have had every test including an amnio which has revealed no cause for IUGR), the spectrum of possibility seems huge- I am just interested in the outcomes of IUGR babies, and any hints on what to expect... NICU..... health outcomes (CP? sensory progressing issues????e etc). Any insight would be much appreciated, the hospital seem unable to tell us if our little girl is ok.... and not knowing.... is so hard.

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Good luck with your bub. Our IUGR bub is 4yo now. Tall and thin and healthy. He has a speech impediment but that's likely from his tongue tie and nothing to do with Being IUGR. He had 6 days in NICU when he was born. Despite his tongue tie he breastfed well for over a year, which in my opinion is why he is so healthy and also why they said not to treat the tongue tie. In retrospect his speech may have been better if he's had his tongue fixed earlier but we will never know.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lulululu For This Useful Post:

BSE  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi BSE!

i hope you are feeling ok! Try not to stress too much I know it's easier said then done!

i had 2 IUGR babies! Chloe is now 3 and Leah is 10 months old. They are both now completely healthy and happy kids!

The reason my kids were IUGR was because I had kidney failure while pregnant. They didnt realise that this was the cause until after I gave birth and they tested my placenta!

ok so Chloe was born at 33 weeks and she weighed 1.6kg (3 pounds 5) she was in the special care nursery for 3 weeks. She was In an incubator for 2 of them 3 weeks and needed to to be on a CPAP machine (to help them breathe) for about a week! Apart from that she was ok just very small. She had a lung disease which apparently most prem babies get but that cleared up quickly.

Leah was born at 34 weeks and was 2kg (4 pound 4) and was much healthier then Chloe! It's crazy how much difference 1 week and 400grams can make! She was in hospital for 2 weeks and in an incubator for 1 week. She only needed to be on CPAP for 1 day and was mainly in special care just because she was so small! They like them to be 2.4kg before leaving special care!

hve you had the steroid injections?
    As soon as the hospital realised my babies were going to be early they gave me 2 steroid injections to help build up their lungs and I believe that's why my girls were so lucky!

If you have any questions please ask I Dnt mind helping, I know exactly what you are going through! And I wish I had someone to give me some answers!

The special care unit is really amazing! And I know it's scary seeing baby with all these tubes and monitors attached to them but it really is the eat place for them!
    the only thing I would say is when I had my first baby I was only 20 and the nurses sort of took over with feeding and everything ( she had to be bottle fed) and I sort of felt like she wasn't my baby If that makes sense! I had to ask if I could hold her and all that! Where as with my second I stood up for myself a bit and said I wanted to feed her and change her nappy ect and that was much better koz I was more involved!

Hope your ok! Have the doctors told you how far they think you will get?

hannah

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannaht For This Useful Post:

BSE  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry also forgot to mention chlo was on the 3rd percentile so quite similar to your baby!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    BSE. I found the uncertainty really difficult too and struggled emotionally with it all. DS was 2.1kg, spent 2 weeks in Special Care, one in NICU ( so three weeks all up). It was a horrible, turbulent time. But in terms of outcomes - he is now almost 3 and doing really well. He had an inguinal hernia that needed surgery and he has had ongoing issues with food and his nutrition is still supplemented with a prescription formula but he is gradually weaning off it. His speech is excellent and most people mistake him for being a year older than he is. No behavioural issues other than normal 2 year old stuff. So overall, he's doing really well and his paed is very happy with him.

Its so very individual. I hope everything goes smoothly for you and you have the very best outcome.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

BSE  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi BSE, to you. Its so hard not knowing what is happening. DS was born at 31+5 at 1.22kg was in hospital for 6.5 weeks, in an incubator for about 3 weeks and on Cpap for a couple of days. On the plus side IUGR babies are usually a bit better developed as they are under stress. DD was not diagnosed as IUGR but dropped from the 40th percentile to <10th in 5 weeks. She was born at 38 weeks at 2.62 KG which is the 7th percentile, She didn't need any extra care and now at 5 months is pretty much average weight and height. DS had a language delay and asthma but is improving in both at 4 years old.

Hope everything goes well, they are little battlers.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MumofRJ For This Useful Post:

BSE  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi BSE

I hope you are doing ok. We are going through something similar to you at the moment but this is the second time we have gone through this.

My first was born at 33 weeks weighing 1.4kg. He was delivered early as I developed severe Pre eclampsia but we were being monitored before this due to his weight. He was in SCN for 1 month exactly. He had a relatively easy journey through SCN as he was off oxygen after the first day so from then on the main focus was hime being able to regulate his temp and putting weight on him. He is now a very healthy normal almost 4 year old.

I am currently 35 weeks pregnant (so past 33 weeks ) with another IUGR bub. This was picked up at a 28 week growth scan, he was on the 7th percentile then went up to the 10th and is now down on the 3rd. We are having growth scans every fortnight and i am now having a wellbeing scan every week and CTG monitoring inbetween those. My next scan is on Monday.
    The uncertainty of all of this is the hardest part I think. Constantly wondering whats going to happen, I freak out if bubs has a quiet day and am extremly nervous before each appt.
    So far I have no signs or symptoms of Pre eclampsia but i never showed any untill the day my son was born (went downhill drastically over the space of a few hours) so this adds to my stress levels.
    I have found that the doctors don't usualy give much away inregards to how bubs is. and even this time around having researched alot and me being very blunt and asking every question under the sun I still have no idea what is likely to happen. They seem to have the attitude of dont stress out the parents with the reality. or atleast this is what i have experienced.

So I definitly can relate to the uncertainty you are going through. Hang in there as every week in makes such a huge difference to bubs hospital journey and any complications down the track. Please feel free to PM me if you need to rant or rave to someone who is going through something similar or just need someone to listen.
    Goodluck with everything and please keep us updated.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jb23 For This Useful Post:

BSE  (11-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi JB23, MumofRJ, MissMuppet, Hannaht and lulululu.

Thanks so much for the responses, ou have done wonders in raising my levels of hope. I was having one of those days, where I was walking around crying plagued by a case of the "why me's!!!"....

This week I have had 1 ultrasound- still on the 5th, 2 CTG/AFI monitoring and a doctors appointment. There has been no change, and they are happy to continue monitoring with the hope that she continues to be "constitutionally small but appearing healthy" and I can deliver at 38 weeks.

Thanks all for the advice and input and stories..... I'm grateful!

JB23- I have my fingers crossed for you... and though I have never been through this before, likewise I am here if you want to rant, rave or otherwise. Its nice to know that the journey that is often so isolating, can also bring some comfort. Keep us posted on bubs JB23

xx

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BSE For This Useful Post:

jb23  (16-01-2013)