+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default IUGR placenta results update

Well, intially I was told by an on call midwife that my placenta results were inconclusive but it turned out there was some good info there after all. We got sent the report which was so scientific that I didn't understand much and we were requested to go to an obstetric councelling session to discuss the results. I feel so enlightened now and I'm hoping the info will be informative to lots of you too.

There are 2 genes which research now indicates is the main cause of IUGR, premature birth and miscarriage. One is gene 1298 which has 2 parts (called A and A) and gene 677 which also has 2 parts (called C and T). Everyone, male and female has these genes but often in people who have IUGR and other conditions described, they are missing one or more parts of either/both gene/s. I have complete 1298 but am missing part T of 677. This was why I've had these probs as well as one miscarriage in the past. The combination of your genes and your partners plays a part. The fact that I now have 3 healthy children (even with some complications) means my hubby may have 2 complete genes or just be missing one part of one but if we both were missing a couple, the complications would have been more significant (like people who have 12 miscarriages and then go on to have a premmie bub). Does this make sense???

So, this is what I've been told to do if I decide to have a 4th (eek!), which I am assured would give me a healthy bubs even if not a huge 10lb one!
    • take 50mg folate daily (x10 normal recommended dose for pregnant women)
    • Take high doses of B vitamins in these quantities daily: 250mg B1, 150mg B6 and 250mg B12
    • To be taken throughout whole pregnancy, as soon as pregnancy discovered or ideally 6 weeks before planning to conceive.
    Food for thought? It's definatley given me some good closure and makes sense now why I've had the same probs every time.

Bubs is great, 3 months old and now 4.8kg (double her birthweight) which isn't bad for an IUGR and reflux baby .

2. The Following User Says Thank You to threebee For This Useful Post:

angenrod  (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi ladies, I've been reading this thread all morning. I've been told right from the get go that bubs will be an IUGR baby. Doc has said from te beginning he hopes I get to 24 weeks. Now he says he hopes for 29weeks. I'm 19+5 today. We're any of u told early in your pregnancy this would happen? And if so, did u get past your dr's estimate?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am 24 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child, my first was born by emergency ceserean at 31+5 weighing only 1.22kg. I had an ultrasound this week and it showed that my uterine arteries had high resistance and bilateral notching which increases my chances of bub being IUGR again. At the moment she is growing well and not having any problems.

I was just wondering if anyone else had the same thing and how did things turn out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi mumofRJ- I'm also 24 weeks now with 2nd. What's your due date? I'm 30th August. I have scan today but I don't have the same problem as you. My reason for possible IUGR baby is that I had an extremely low Papp-a result, and my last baby was born early due to pre eclampsia. I'm being monitored fortnightly at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi MumofRJ. My DD was born at 28 weeks weighing 750g due to pre-eclampsia and IUGR. We had no warning - it was detected at lunch time and she was delivered at 9pm that night.

I had a scan at 19 weeks with bub no.2 and it showed bilateral notching and high resistance in the uterine arteries. Growth was fine until around 23 weeks when it started to slow. At 25 weeks I was admitted to hospital with pre-eclampsia where I stayed until DS was born at 29+6 weeks weighing 860g. He is now five months old and doing so well!

I hope things go more smoothly for you.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to leishi For This Useful Post:

MumofRJ  (16-05-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by angenrod View Post
    Hi mumofRJ- I'm also 24 weeks now with 2nd. What's your due date? I'm 30th August. I have scan today but I don't have the same problem as you. My reason for possible IUGR baby is that I had an extremely low Papp-a result, and my last baby was born early due to pre eclampsia. I'm being monitored fortnightly at the moment.
    Hi angenrod, I'm due on the 27th of August. I am having 4 weekly ultrasounds at the moment so I will be having my next one at 28 weeks. Really hoping it is all good as we don't have a nice in Cairns. I didn't get preeclampsia with my first child but I have read that it is very likely with my condition.

I hope every thing went well with your scan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my 27 week scan on Monday an bub has slowed down significantly. I'm having u/s weekly now and 2 ctg test per week (tue & sat) to check on bubs heart. Yesterday's scan was scary as it wasn't doin as it should. I had to go home, eat, and go back. Ha scan again, but bubs heart was ok. Next scan Saturday.. But baby due anytime from here in. I'm 28 weeks today, would be greatful to get to 30 weeks. I've also had 2 injections of steroids for baby's heart.

How r things with you??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by angenrod View Post
    I had my 27 week scan on Monday an bub has slowed down significantly. I'm having u/s weekly now and 2 ctg test per week (tue & sat) to check on bubs heart. Yesterday's scan was scary as it wasn't doin as it should. I had to go home, eat, and go back. Ha scan again, but bubs heart was ok. Next scan Saturday.. But baby due anytime from here in. I'm 28 weeks today, would be greatful to get to 30 weeks. I've also had 2 injections of steroids for baby's heart.

How r things with you??
    I'm so sorry to hear things aren't going well for you, you must be so worried.
    I had my 28 week scan on Wednesday and was so worried about things going wrong so early that I couldn't sleep. Turns out that bubs is fine though. I will be having fortnightly scans for the rest of my pregnancy.

I hope you can hold on for those extra couple of weeks.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MumofRJ For This Useful Post:

angenrod  (08-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just popping in to update. I'm now 29+4. I have a scan today to check measurements/weight of bubs. Hopefully all is going well. My aim today is to get to 30 weeks. Will let u know how i go this afternoon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bubs in 6th centile. Will be speaking to fetal medicine unit tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I'll be sen to Sydney this week and will be stayin there till either bubs is born or till I get to 32 weeks. Once I get to 32 weeks,
    I can come back to my own local hospital. Will update again when I know more.