+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hahaha i still remember when i looked at our little girl and she had a bottom!!!!
    I can understand your distress with not being with your bub after it was born. Jasmine was taken to SCN and was only there for just over 24 hours but even now i still feel a little guilty for not being there for her. I can still remember the fear (and of course happiness) when we took our 1.8kg bub home for the first time!!!
    Best of luck lulu with number 2 hope all goes very smoothly for you.
    We are expecting no 2 in early Jan 11 and i hope to god its a normal pregnancy for us too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Iugr - long term

Both of my angels were IUGR. My DS 1 started school this year and has had 'behavioural' issues, so out of character for him. His teacher suggested seeing a behavioural optomotrist. We did and the outcome has not been great, he has been diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder - directley linked to IUGR I am so sad my body failed him and am even sader that we are now facing the fact that he also has Auditory Processing Disorder. Both of these basically are learning disabilities and I am so mad at my body for failing him, I am scared because DD 2 was also IUGR but is too young for a diagnosis but we are keeping an eye on things. Thats it for us I am now hangging up my gloves I cannot bear the thought of putting another innocent life through what my little angels have been through/are going through and it breaks my heart as every inch of me is desperate for another baby. My heart is saying yes but my head is saying no . I thought we had dodged a bullet with our 2 IUGR babies but it is now catching up with us - so, so sad. Thanks for listening to my vent!

MyFourCubs is offline MyThreeCubs plus one- I am the luckiest Mum in the world...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    LovelyMum- my DS was NOT IUGR- he was a big, healthy 8lb8 baby- but he has hi9gh functioning autism, sensory processing disorder and auditory processing disorder. My dd2 WAS IUGR- a little 4lb13oz baby girl who does NOT have autism, SPD, APD or anything else on the spectrum. She is to all extents perfectly fine What I am saying is you do not know the IUGR caused the APD. Sometimes we do not know why things happen. I can also tell you that my DS was dx 2 and a half years ago and with therapy has come alone leaps and bounds- he is a very bright, incredibly clever, beautiful, happy boy. Be positive, the future can bring remarkable things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the sunny outcome I have taken it hard because the doctors are pointing fingers towards the pregnancy complications as IUGR, low birth weight and juandice are all markers for SPD and APD. So far DD seems to going along fine aside for the oral aversion but in terms of mental development I can see a big difference between them at nearly 3 she has a great concerntration span, does puzzles, leggo and responds to simple verbal comands all things DS at 6 still has trouble with (but could also be a 6yr old thing )

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD1 was IUGR (1152 grams) and I had a healthy term baby girl 19 months later who weighed in at 7 pound 5 so it can be done I was watched closely and put on low does aspirin for the 2nd pregnancy as its thought to help prevent blot clots forming in the placenta and help regulate blood pressure (I had pre eclampsia with DD1) and everything was perfect.

I had to have a c/sec because DD1 was emergency c/sec so they didnt want me to vbac but all was complication free and we even went home the next day

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an IUGR baby. My morphology scan at 19 weeks was normal. I was apart of a study at the hospital and during this study they did a couple of scans to check fat around baby. My scan with them was at 27.5 weeks and during that scan they said baby was measuring small, around 7th percentile and that i should get another scan done in 3 weeks.

3 weeks later i had scan and baby still measuring small, but all blood flow and amniotic fluid was all within normal range, but this time baby was just above the 3rd percentile.

I was then to have weekly scans, 1 week just measuring blood flow and amniotic fluid and the other week a growth scan.

All my blood flow scans (dopplers) were normal but the next growth scan bubs was below 3rd percentile and then scan 2 weeks later bubs was below 2nd percentile. I was almost 35 weeks at that stage.

They wanted to wait til bubs was 36 weeks before inducing me, so i had to go in every couple of days to hospital for bloods, CTG and doppler scans until i was induced at 36weeks.

Bubs was born weighing 2050g and 44cm long. He had to go in humi crib for temp to regulate for 2 days, and then had a blood incompatibility to me so had to go under lights for jaundice but other than that bubs was healthy. He was on suck feeds every second feed and the other feed was though the nose. He pulled his nose tube out the night before he was meant to come home and they left it out and he tolerated all suck feeds quite well, which was great. He came home 1 week after birth and is doing really well.

I am not sure what caused my IUGR as noone has told me anything yet (Bubs is now 6 weeks) but when they pulled placenta out they said it was much smaller than it should be and it had started to show signs of calcification which is not normally seen unless a baby is born after their due date.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just an update about my little man,
    he is now 17 months, weighs just on 9kg (still not even on the charts) and has delays... nothing major i dont think (well i hope not anyway)
    every few weeks he has to see a Speechy, Dietician & Physio as he doesnt walk, still doesnt eat & cant say any words at all, not even mum
    he is on Pediasure bottles as he doesnt eat & ive been told he will most likely have delays in learning etc when he is at school
    so bloody stressful, i hate it...

big hugs to all you wonderful mummies, you are all amazing xxxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi...did a neurologist check him out???... my son is now 4.5 kg.. which is good.. he's gaining weight AT least..he's still tube fed.. but i see that he has some delays also.. he's 4.5 months..3.5 ajusted.. he smiles...cooos..happy when seeing mommy and daddy..and he loves his blue rocking chair lol.. he puts his hands in his mouth.. tries to push his body when i hold his hands.. but he still wont raise his head when on tummy..i wonder how ur iugr babies developed? do u remember what they did at 3 or 4 months.. i know that at 3 months they should start grabbing toys and everything but mine is still not interested in that.. he also wont open his hands..they're always in fists.. ready to fight is there anyone u know out there that has brain atrophy..and how did the children develop.. i wonder because the neurologst can't say anything to us... but i just need to know some things.. thanx...

Sparklydreamer is offline I might lack sleep, but I can dream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Jelena,

My DS has been slow with some things but fine or fast with others. At 5mths his hands are still often fists too, but he does now grab toys (and my hair!). He wasn't really at 3mths. He loves to stand all day (with me holding him) and can almost hold his own weight entirely, but his arms are much weaker. On his tummy he has trouble pushing up with his hands/arms. His back legs and bottom push up and it looks like he's trying to crawl but his arms go nowhere. But he can frog sit on his own for about 30sec before toppling sideways. He laughs all the time, smile lots and chatters constantly. Most of this has just happened in the 2 months.

Sometimes I'll think there's nothing wrong with him and he's a bright boy, and then I'll see other 5mth olds and think, oh he's not doing those things, maybe he is a bit behind after all. Mostly with his hands. I'll get him checked out at 6mths and see where we're at. In the meantime I'm really trying to strengthen his arms with lots of tummy time. I remind myself that even normal weight babies are ahead and behind in varying things.

He's 5mths but only 5.5kgs and still on Neocate.

I think overall he's doing well considering his turbulent start though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was born at 28 weeks due to PE & IUGR weighing 750g. She's 10.5 months now (7.5 corrected) and still only weighs 6.5kg. She has eight breastfeeds, three meals and two snacks a day and is VERY slow to put on weight. She hasn't put on any weight at all in the last month

Developmentally she is quick to do some things, and slow to do others. She took a LONG time to roll and still looks to be a very long way off crawling, but she is very bright and alert. Isla's neonatologist keeps an eye on her development, but at the same time he tells me not to put any pressure on her and she will do things in her own time.

I think it is impossible to compare our babies with babies that get off to a perfectly healthy start. While they are trying to get that weight back on, a few things fall by the wayside.