+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    MyFourCubs is offline MyThreeCubs plus one- I am the luckiest Mum in the world...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh and I know I said this much earlier in the thread but my DD has allergeis too and is on Elecare prescription formula. She also has food aversions- used to be a MAJOR issue but she has gotten better. She still has ongoing tummy issues, it's really stressful actually.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hey guys it;'s been a while.. we're in the hospital right now.. it's been 4 weeks... they can't find why my lil one is still vomiting... after every feed.. he has severe gerd...and they also did an MRI.. they said my son has brain atrophy and that he will always have delayed developement.. what a shock for a new mommy.. i can;t stand to see him so much in pain anymore.. he is now tube fed (cause he won't eat)... i also have a team of genetics working on his case.. they tell me he has a big head and big eyes.. he's 3.5 months old and still can't raise his head when put on the tummy.. he's so skinny.. he now only weighs 8.6lbs don't know what to do anymore..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Jelana, my thoughts are with you.
    I hope that things are improving and the team of people will help solve some of the problems with your gorgeous little one.
    Hugs to you , you sure sould like you need it and i hope that you have wonderful family support. Please keep us updated on how he is going and remember that miracles do happen. My little one is a testament to that.
    Last edited by Mum2Jas; 17-06-2010 at 19:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all, just a quick question to you. I am preganant with my second bub. My first was IUGR and born 37.5 at 4lb7oz.
    Has anyone had a normal second pregancy after an IUGR or had a repeat of IUGR the second time round. Im just worried the same problems will happen again.
    Thanks hope everything is going well for you and your little treasures.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2Jas View Post
    Hi all, just a quick question to you. I am preganant with my second bub. My first was IUGR and born 37.5 at 4lb7oz.
    Has anyone had a normal second pregancy after an IUGR or had a repeat of IUGR the second time round. Im just worried the same problems will happen again.
    Thanks hope everything is going well for you and your little treasures.
    Hi just thought I would reply to your question, my first bub was IUGR with my second everything was going really well right up until around 30 weeks then she stopped growing so to answer your question both pregnacies were IUGR, DD (NO 2) was born at 36 weeks as with my history of IUGR my OB decided to deliver her straight away after a scan at 36 weeks showed her growth had dropped to the 20th percentile and her amniotic fluid was low Good luck! - I have had every test done under the sun to find out why this has happened but so far no answers

Sparklydreamer is offline I might lack sleep, but I can dream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jelena View Post
    hey guys it;'s been a while.. we're in the hospital right now.. it's been 4 weeks... they can't find why my lil one is still vomiting... after every feed.. he has severe gerd...and they also did an MRI.. they said my son has brain atrophy and that he will always have delayed developement.. what a shock for a new mommy.. i can;t stand to see him so much in pain anymore.. he is now tube fed (cause he won't eat)... i also have a team of genetics working on his case.. they tell me he has a big head and big eyes.. he's 3.5 months old and still can't raise his head when put on the tummy.. he's so skinny.. he now only weighs 8.6lbs don't know what to do anymore..
    Oh honey I'm so sorry that you're having to go down this path. I hope that you get some answers soon and things pick up.

Will be thinking of you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hello...we're back home..at least..baby is now still tube fed but instead of the tube being in the stomach it;s in his intestines..and he's gaining weight..he started gaining 45grams per day so we're so haappy for that..he's still vomiting but only the yellow stuff...doctors say it's normal..we don't know how long he will stay on the tube.. but he;s now 9.1 lbs and 4 months.. thank you all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh good that he's home! And doing well weight wise too.

I hope things just keep getting better and better now.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default happy "ending" IUGR story...

We didn't know our firstborn was IUGR until an hour or so after he was born - when they told us he was too small and couldn't go home It was a surprise because at the 34 week scan they said everything was good. Either their measurements were inaccurate at that point or he stopped growing after that scan.

We never thought to ask "why" he was IUGR - well we did think about it but not until long after we left the hospital. We have some theories but really don't know why. He was born full term - 37 & 1/2 weeks and weighed 2.3kg. He was tall and skinny - head circumference and weight both "off the charts" but his height was at about the 40th percentile.

He had to stay in NICU for 6 days - the hardest 6 days of his life so far I think. Hard for us that is! I found it really distressing all three of us being separated. And the feelings of powerlessness and lack of communication and especially the contradictory advice from hospital staff was really hard to take. I just wanted to take him home so badly and I was relieved when on day 6 they said we could go - there were so many babies there that had been there for so long - 50 days, 100 days etc I don't know how I could have coped with that but thank god we didn't have to.

He had the usual IUGR problems - couldn't hold his body temperature or his blood sugar, then got jaundice and needed phototherapy. Despite it being a "baby friendly" hospital they asked if they could give him formula rather than suggesting EBM top-ups. He has tongue-tie also but fortunately that didn't cause him any problems and he fed well and grew. He had some minor allergies to unlikely foods when introduced at about 4-5 months - apple and pear, which are supposedly the least allergenic foods, and also yogurt which is pretty common. Fortunately he grew out of that and yoghurt is his favorite food now. We did the gradual repeated exposure thing until he could eat those foods without getting the rashes. He's had a few bouts of croup but otherwise has been healthy with just the usual colds and snotty nose most kids seem to get.

He is two and a bit now. As I said he was always tall- he hit "average" height at about 8 months and has been around the 90th percentile for height since he was about 13 months old. His growth hasn't been a "smooth curve" though. He's had months when he's not grown at all. His height didn't appear to change from 15 to 18 months. Perhaps thats our inaccurate measuring - who knows? Weight-wise as I said he was "off the charts" (under the 3rd percentile) until he was 2 months old. From 3 to 6 months was around the 10th percentile. Hit "average" at one year old, hit the 90th percentile at 18 months old and is now above the 90th percentile. Head circumference followed roughly the same "curve" (not really a curve - more of a jagged line) as his weight, except he's only at about the 60th percentile - as I said, tall and thin. Both sides have tallness in the genes.

So, I called it a "happy ending" because although he started tiny, he's very robust now. He's not a chubby kid - probably never will be but he's growing and he's healthy. You'd never guess now that he was so skinny at the start. I cant remember how old he was at the time but I remember the day I was changing his nappy and as I wiped his bum I noticed he actually had bum cheeks, not just pointy bony bits but a little round bum. Then he got thighs. It was exciting because his limbs looked stick-like at the start. Looking back at photos of him early on his face looked gaunt, no cheeks, but I didn't notice at the time - I just thought he was beautiful

We're expecting number two next month. Genetically a half sibling. Apparently this one's a fat baby, so the scanner said at the 34 week scan, but we'll see.
    Last edited by lulululu; 23-06-2010 at 23:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for sharing your story lulu.

I remember the moment I noticed DS had cheeks - I was so excited after weeks of him looking gaunt with just cheekbones and no real chin either.

Good luck with number 2! Hope all goes smoothly for you.