+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Sparklydreamer is offline I might lack sleep, but I can dream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi,

My bub was born at 37wks after the placental flow started to go wrong - 2.1kg, 43cm. He spent a week in ICU and a week in SCN with blood sugar problems and was discharged last week at 2.33kg with strict instructions to get him weighed every week to make sure he's still growing. Its been a week now and he's 2.61. I couldn't get into the hospitals well baby clinic until next week and his first paed visit in 2 weeks time.

My question is - how much did your babies grow at first every week? He's a bad refluxer and I'm not sure if he's putting on enough weight. Does anyone know what's considered a reasonable gain for such a small baby early on?

This is all such a massive learning curve for me. My first baby was 2.7kg but perfectly healthy (except reflux) and it never occurred to me that my next would be even smaller! I don't have any of the risk factors except I'd had bleeding from the placenta that had left scarring. I was convinced he was going to be bigger. More fool me.

Any help much appreciated.
    Rose.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    hi rose!
    your baby sounds exactly the same as my son was!!!
    born the same weight, same length, at the same gestation, was in SCN for 10 days and came home at 2.3kg...
    he has just had his 1st birthday & weighs 7.8kg and is now 71cm. tall & very skinny!!!
    hope your journey isnt too stressfull

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Rose,
    My little girl was born 2.02kg 43cm 3/3/09. Ive just got the dates with her growth for the first few weeks so i hope this helps with the weight question. Also Jasmine had only mild reflux.
    6/3/09 1.88kg
    9/3/09 1.98kg
    16/3/09 2.27kg
    23/3/09 2.48kg
    30/3/09 2.8kg
    So basically in the first month she put on 1kg
    My daughter grew very quickly in the first 3.5 months and then stopped altogether for a month and then grew very slowly. She has been diagnosied with a lot of allergies thought. Now that they have been sorted she is growing a lot better and at 11 months is 7.69kg 70.5cm.
    Hope that helps. Good luck with your precious tiny one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Rose,

My son too was IUGR because of my placental function.

If I was a nurse (ha ha, I am!) I would say to aim for 30g of weight gain a day, hoping to follow that percentile curve upwards. But as I mum I would say any gain is good as long as bubs is doing well in other respects.....wet nappies, happy, milestones etc.

My IUGR bub thrived once he got away from my crappy placenta and being fully brestfed went from below the 3rd percentile at birth to now sitting on the 25th percentile....yay!

Sparklydreamer is offline I might lack sleep, but I can dream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies! I feel a bit better now. I'm just desperate for him to put on weight so he's not quite so at risk if he gets sick.

Its also reassuring to know that others have been there, done that, and survived and their babies are doing well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    and i forgot to add, that Hunter had servere reflux was even hospitalised at 4 months because it was so bad... took a while to get the medications right to suit him, but we got there in the end... he had only just come off Losec a few weeks ago, so far so good!!
    throughout his life he has had almost every single test possible to see if it was anything else, but everything has come back clear...
    he has monthly appointements at the royal childrens hospital as well as monthly MCHN appointements to make sure he is still gainin ok... there was while there were he had to get weekly weigh ins
    there is much more but i dont wanna list it all

i know it feels so over whelming & you wish you didnt have to stress so much, but i assure you its so worth it... our little babies are such very special one of a kind babies

its kinda funny cause Hunter has just turned one and cant still fit in 000's

anyway thats enough rambling from me..
    we are all here for you
    take care & enjoy your tiny miracle

Thanks
    Reviews

Default hello

ok.. just gave birth 10 days ago.. february 17th.. a tiny baby boy 3.10 lbs.. he is now in his little home.. waiting to get out of the hospital.. he's gaining about 25 grams per day which is so not much but.. keeping it positiv... he should be out in 2 weeks i think..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations Jelana on your tiny little bundle . My thoughts are with you as you go through your journey but no doubt he'll be a fighter and your be out of hospital in no time. Thanks for your update lovely to hear your great news.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi jelena, congrats on your baby boy. i just wanted to let you know that our son was born the same weight at 33 weeks. he is about to tun one and now weighs 8kgs and is hitting every milestone for his corrected age. so keep positive and remeber every lil weight gain is that one step closer to getting him. my thoughts are with you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeah.. it's really hard though.. not knowing when he"ll be o ut and all that.. they also took a scan for his head cause his bones on the head are too big.. and they said his head was too big for his tiny body.. so i was so scared.. they said it's ok.. but u never know