ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by almai927 View Post
    Make a cheese sauce with nutritional yeast, it's a winner for even non vegans
    Haha I have always intended to make a cheese sauce with nutritional yeast but I always end up just getting the jar of the yeast and eating it with a spoon instead. I think I need to start buying it by the kilo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We have it on toast ALL the time. We didn't have it this morning and DD said to DH.. "Ahh Daddy this isn't cheesy toast " oops clearly we have it a lot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Baburun View Post
    I tried the yeast flakes tonight, a little bit weird but they seemed to blend in to the meal pretty well. So I'm sure I'll get used to it, just focus on the delicious B vitamins!

A book I ordered a while ago arrived today too - "This is Why We Don't Eat Animals", anyone have it?
    It's a children's book (I like to plan ahead! I also bought "It Takes Two To Tango" about the gay penguins to read to my future children) but it made me cry when I was reading it walking home from the post office! Stress and PMS and thinking about animal families are a bad combination
    I have 'this is why we don't eat animals, 'vegan is love' and 'victor the vegetarian'? I think it's called... About a boy who decides to become vegetarian when he finds out his parents are going to kill a lamb to have for dinner basically.
    I wish there were more kids books out there.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

almai is offline "you never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have."
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't often eat bread because the gluten free varieties are pretty bad. But now I'm craving 'cheese' on toast!!! Might have to dig out my bread maker
    .... Or Mac and 'cheese' droool...
    Yep, that's my lunch today I think

I haven't had any (living) children yet and I am already being criticized for wanting them to be vegan (or at least vegetarian like DP)... I just keep replying with- "would you be saying the same things to a religious parent bringing their child up with beliefs different to yours?"

I'm glad there are a few books out there to show the kids

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I've just discovered Vegusto. Oh my. Half a block gone in two days

We have 'That's why we don't eat animals' but haven't got the new book. We also have Herb the Vegetarian Dragon and Benji Bean Sprout doesn't eat meat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by almai927 View Post
    I haven't had any (living) children yet and I am already being criticized for wanting them to be vegan (or at least vegetarian like DP)... I just keep replying with- "would you be saying the same things to a religious parent bringing their child up with beliefs different to yours?"

I'm glad there are a few books out there to show the kids
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    We have 'That's why we don't eat animals' but haven't got the new book. We also have Herb the Vegetarian Dragon and Benji Bean Sprout doesn't eat meat.
    I have such a weakness for books, our plan is to TTC next year which I figure is soon enough that I can start buying children's books!

Almai927 it's hard, I'm already dreading having to defend this to my family! Apparently it's only bad and "brainwashing" when you're teaching children something against social norms, of course imposing your own beliefs that eating animals is good isn't brainwashing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ugh... I just thought I'd love to get those books then remembered that DP and I haven't agreed yet. She eats chicken and fish and wants him to do the same. Of course I want him to be vegan or at least vegetarian. But every time we talk about it we end up at the same place. Argh!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I've just discovered Vegusto. Oh my. Half a block gone in two days

Ohhhh... I've been wanting to get some but haven't wanted to waste my money, I will have to buy some!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphabetsoup View Post
    Ugh... I just thought I'd love to get those books then remembered that DP and I haven't agreed yet. She eats chicken and fish and wants him to do the same. Of course I want him to be vegan or at least vegetarian. But every time we talk about it we end up at the same place. Argh!!!!

Me and DH are apparently horrible vegans because our DD eats meat still.

I've always been vego, DH and DD always ate meat. Then DH and me went vegan (DD is allergice to milk and eggs) but didn't cut out DDs meat as she loves it as it is she is extremely fussy!!! it's frowned upon but I don't care. I'm a proud vegan and will NEVER go back, one day DD might join us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks, it's interesting to hear how it works in other families.
    My DP eats meat if we're out but is happy to eat a vegetarian diet at home - I do the shopping and cooking so he just eats whatever I give him! Which I'm happy with, I've had boyfriends in the past where our differing attitudes caused a lot of tension.
    With respect to children, DP seems more worried about the social aspects, like their not being able to engage in all the social rituals that involve food and that they'll think other people (like his family!) are evil for eating animals.

My feelings are that as they get older I certainly won't forbid them from eating anything, but I still wouldn't give it to them myself. And as long as we focus on teaching them about vegetarianism/veganism in a gentle, age-appropriate way, focusing more on choices for different people/families and it's ok that other people make different choices...

I don't know, it all sounds rather difficult. But at least I can control what they eat and do for the first few years! I'll try and indoctrinate them early