+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Sheer Bliss is offline new username time?? this is toooo friggin hard, and NOT Bliss!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Twins Naturally - I did it!!

I'll try and make a long story a bit shorter here...... dunno if I can though, so sorry in advance!

After finding out I was having twins at 6weeks, we were excited and scared. There were so many stories of people being forced to have epidurals and heavily monitered labours, I was worried that a natural birth was out of reach (and after having 2 previous straight fwd ones, that was disappointing). My history of PE and haemorrhaging after the birth was also a concern. My OB knew my feelings on c-sections, and said that there was no reason I couldn’t have a natural birth, and we wouldn’t need to discuss it until much later in the pregnancy once bubbas positions were known.

Fast fwd to 32weeks…..I was having heaps of Braxton hicks….some were starting to feel uncomfy, but not hurt. He tried to check my cervix using the ultrasound (where we confirmed twin A was head down, twin B frank breech), but could see clearly. An internal check found it to be short and 2cm dilated, with a head firmly there ready to go. Straight off to hospy, and onto the tablets (can’t remember their name now) to slow things down, and for 2 shots of steroids. After about 4days everything eased off, but I was asked to remain there on bed rest until I was past 34weeks, and allowed bubs to gain a bit more weight. Which we did, and then I begged to go home. I was missing my other 2 kids terribly, and needed to spend time with my family before I felt ready for the new babies to arrive. Which I got - 4 lovely days at home, and I felt so happy, relaxed and ready.

I was super tired on the Friday night, so went to bed at 9pm….DH was at work, so I spread out in bed, and knew that mum was just down the hallway to get the kids if they woke in the night. About 10:15 I woke to a dreadful pain in the belly….thinking that the chocolate Bavarian we had for dessert might not have been a good idea. Just as I got up to go to the loo….I felt that familiar trickle, and thought that maybe this was it! But nothing more came, so I convinced myself I had just wet myself a little - thank goodness DH wasn’t there! It made me realise my bags weren’t packed, so I started to do that JIC, and more waters. I called the birthing suite, and they said to come in. Mum called DH while I called my sister to come from half an hour away to watch the kids. Then 10mins later, I decided we shouldn’t wait, the contractions were getting painful and we had a half hour drive to the hospital. We dropped them at a friends (I really didn’t want to disturb them in the night, but her DH was at work, so she couldn’t leave her kids), and got on our way. I told mum that I really wanted to do this one drug free, so if I was breathing with my eyes closed, not to talk to me until I opened my eyes.

I thought I should check the clock so I could tell the middies where we were at when we arrived. Hmm….3mins? I must have looked at the clock wrong. 15mins into the trip….2mins. Nah, couldn’t be. I was really focusing on the deep breathing and going with the pain, rather than fighting it, that I was sure I looked at the clock wrong. When we were 5mins from the hospy they were coming hard and fast about 1min apart, lasting for over 30seconds. I told mum to run a few red lights (those silly red arrows - there were NO cars on the road), and by the time we arrived at the hospital I was breathing so deeply with each contraction, and I felt the most focused I had ever felt in labour. I knew it wasn’t far off, and was happy to see DH waiting inside the doors for us.

He walked me down the to the birthing suite, as he had already been in, and they were expecting me. I said I needed to go to the toilet, and the m/w asked if I was sure, I was pretty sure, but stood in the bathroom for 2 contractions while she started to read my birth plan. As soon as I sat on the loo, I realised, nope, I needed to have a baby, not go to the toilet. I started to walk out to the room, but felt bubbies head working it’s way down as I breathed and started to push involuntary. I quickly jumped up on the bed, and told DH to sit it up a bit more. But it was too late - 2 nice big pushes and my baby was out. It was 11:22.…..I had walked in the hospital doors at 11:15!!! The m/w had no towels etc ready, so pressed the emergency call button, and then the room filled so quickly! It filled me with reassurance, as I knew I had the breech bubba to birth next, and my OB hadn’t arrived, so having a few experienced middies in the room was perfect.

Bubs was placed on my belly as the cord was too short to reach further. We were talking to ‘him’ as we knew the boy was first…..until the towels were taken off ‘him’ to take ‘him’ for a little oxygen. The midwife checked and we realised that she was my little girl! We only had a minute or so to take that in, and I wondered if the scan was wrong and we were expecting 2 little girls or if they had swapped positions (again) and our little boy was on his way. Then contractions started up again, and he was ready to come. It was harder to breath through these ones, and he wasn’t descending as much as I wanted to, so I gave a few little pushes, I was a little apprehensive about a breech bubba. I almost gave up at that point, I didn’t think I could do it again, I was exhausted and these contractions were worse than before. My wonderful doula was stoking my forehead and reminded me how I had done it before and I COULD do it. All the encouragement we had talked about me needing when I got to that point was there. Then the m/w checked and it seemed I didn’t need to worry at all, my clever bub had swan dived and was on the way out head down!! A few more pushes and out HE came! He was a boy after all. Both then came back to me, and after a few mins of staring and cuddles, the middies and my doula helped me get them onto the breast, and it was magic, I had given birth to twins in an hour and a half, and there they were, both on the breast feeding beautifully!! I DID IT!! No drugs, spontaneous twin labour - Everything I wanted, and everything I need to get me through these first few days/week of establishing feeding with prem bubs!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sheer Bliss For This Useful Post:

CMCandAmelia  (20-01-2011),giveitago  (25-04-2013),jacobsmamma  (15-04-2012),MamaC  (18-05-2011),mummyofRAD  (14-03-2011),Nmgb  (08-04-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow... congratulations - you are an inspiration

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgiaAnne For This Useful Post:

6 years trying  (31-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wow! What a great birth story!!! It gave me goosebumps all over to read such a wonderful way to birth twinnies. Thank you for sharing. And congrats!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    WOW! Congrats lovely Tan, welcome gorgeous babies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OMG WOW! Absolutely amazing! Well done!

So beautiful and simply amazing!

Congratulations on your twins arrivals!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh wow! What a fantastic birth story - I have tears running down my face now.

Congratulations to you and your beautiful family. Well done!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    congrats CM. well done on what sounds like an amazing birth experience. that is definately an achievement.

congrats once again

Thanks
    Reviews

FANTASTIC!!!

Congrats to you and your little family xxx

So lovely to read, had tears welling up - clever little chicken coming out all by themselves head first and all!
    Best of luck with the next few days, weeks, months etc

(How lovely is feeding two at once!??! )

xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You ROCK!
    Congratulations on a wonderful birth! Seriously, your story is an inspiration to anyone carrying twins who wants to birth normally. Trust those babies to know what they're doing.

Just fantastic. Congrats again!

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    You absolute dead set LEGEND! What an awesome birth story - so beautiful, so inspiring! What a wonder woman you are!

Congratulations Tan - you did it, alright! Your way, on your terms!
    Last edited by Tam-I-Am; 19-05-2009 at 21:46.