ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default did your baby sleep better when put in their own room?

hi guys just wondering, as the title says, whether your bub slept better when you put them in their own room? Me and dp are having debates over this, dp thinks all noahs sleep problems will be resolved if we just put him in his own room. Im not so sure, i think it just means ill have to walk further 5 times a night which im not too keen on! what do you think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    both mine did but it was also moving out of the bassinette and into the cot too.
    So I think it was a combination of having more room - not banging heads arms and feet on the sides of the bassinette.
    The walk to their rooms also gave them a chance to self settle if it was just a stir rather than an actual awake for a feed kind of cry.
    I found that I tended to jump up to them both at the slightest sound esp when DH is home cause he has to work and I didn't want to disturb him too much. whereas when they were in their own room it was easier to listen for a few moments to see if they were just stirring and grumbling in their sleep (which my too do a lot)
    Why not give it a try and see how you go if it doesn't help move them back in with you there is no harm in trying. Good luck with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh dear god..
    I know every baby is individual, but we did this last night for the first time ever...
    I got NO sleep.
    4 times he woke between 10.30 and 2.30, bawling his little heart out,by 2.30 I was sure it was time to get up, the night seemed to go on forever.He woke to get up at 4.15...
    He's no better going in for his nap today either.
    I don't get it because he doesn't co-sleep.
    I hope you have better luck, I'm like a zombie today.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    I put our daughter in her own room at two weeks, our rooms are very close and I can hear her easily. At 1 month I put her in her own cot. For me and her it was the best answer as she learnt to put herself to sleep at a very young age and sleeps through the night.

Also as most babies are very noisy when they sleep you may go to them too soon they may just be in a light sleep and be able to resettle themselves.

We also don't have to worry about waking her coming and going from our room. Also I have found when I take her to her room she relaxes and knows it's almost time for sleep at night we read her a story and put her in her cot. I think the earlier you put them into a good routine the easier it is for everybody. If you are worried get a good monitor we have a sensor one.

Remember it might be hard at first but it will only be harder the older they get. Good Luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I co-slept with DS full-time until he was around 7 months, on and off until 13 months when I got sick of being woken all night and we were both miserable.

He slept through within a few nights of being in his own room, I think he preferred it being more quiet and dark in there, maybe it was just coincidence.

You could try it, but maybe see if your DP will get up to him could put an end to that debate in one night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our DS's sleep patterns changed completely when we put him in his own room. He went from waking every 2-3 hours to sleeping (eventually) almost 8 hours straight. Although it does depend on whether you are happy to let them cry for a little bit. While i wouldn't leave DS to cry for more than about 5 minutes in the beginning, he gradually realised that he needed to be sleeping all night. And i didn't start letting him cry until he was about 10 months, before that we would settle him until he was nearly asleep in our arms and then pop him into his cot.

Now at 14 months (we put him in his own room at about 7 months) he sleeps most nights, and is only waking up when he has teeth coming through for a bit of a comfort cuddle. And his day sleep (he has one big one after lunch now) is a good 2 hours usually. He associates his bedroom with sleep, and we keep the routine the same for every sleep, including the night time one.

While initially you might have lots of sleepless nights, it does get easier! I found leaving the washing to be folded until the middle of the night helped me get through it. So while he would cry to come out, i would give him a quick comfort, lay him down, then go and fold the washing while he complained about it! It only took a week or so for him to settle into his new routine....now my washing doesn't get folded until i have to

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, definitely. F moved to his own room at about 8 wks. I had ended up sleeping on the couch most nights after his first night feed because I couldn't sleep with his "talking" to me and then with his grunts and sqeaks. I was oftent turniing the light on to check him, sure he was awake when he wasn't.

I still left the hall and bedroom doors open (we have a small house) as DH is a heavy sleeper and started to notice that the times I slept on the couch he did less "talking "and took himself off to sleep much faster.
    So, into his own room he went which is literally about 10 steps from our room and he settles back to sleep really well. His room is also in the middle of the house and much quieter than ours which I think helps too.
    At almost 12 wks he still is feeding twice per night which is fine with me, self settles after his feed 95% of the time and happily talks to himself in his bassinet for a few minutes in the morning before asking one of us to come and get him (usually when DH get up for work and walks down the hall)

Now, if only we could convince him to sleep during the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    hmmm well it seems that i may be wrong....maybe i'll give it a go and see what happens I really like him being in the room with me, but im willing to try anything for more sleep....I'm trying to teach him to self settle but its sooooo hard! I cant stand it when he's screaming and I refuse to leave him like that, I dont know what else I can do? He is so used to feeding to sleep that now EVERYTIME he wakes even slightly he expects it, and I wouldnt mind if it was once or twice a night but every 1-2 hours is getting to be a nightmare!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With DS1 we put him in his own room at 7 weeks and within 3 nights he was sleeping through and hasn't stopped ever since.

DS2 we put him in his own room at 6 weeks and even though he starting sleeping a little bit longer he only starting sleeping through last week at 15 weeks old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are not ready to move him don't do it. I wasn't really but I was sick of sleeping on the couch. The only people sleeping in the same room were both sound asleep while I tossed and turned!