+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default role of support person in labour

Hi Ladies,
    i was wondering what you expect of your support person in labour.
    I suppose i am mostly enquiring about partners but would be most interested in hearing about expectations of mothers, friends and doulas also.

Are you looking for physical support such as massage.
    or verbal support.
    ect.

To women who have already birthed, how did your support partner meet your needs in labour.
    Were your expectations of them met.

Thanks for your replies
    x
    e

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DF has a set list of instructions due to there being about 25 people in the OR when i deliver & the chance of me having a panic attack.

Photo's from my end only
    Get my Mum to meet me in recovery
    Follow the Kiddies to NICU

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for your reply.
    goodluck for your delivery. I have seen a twins c-section and thought the room was packed then.
    i hope it is not too claustrophobic for you and your 3 little ones come out without any drama.
    goodluck !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Welcome & thank you. Thankfully people dont worry me, DF thats a whole different ball game.

Thanks
    Reviews
    double post
    Last edited by TripleTime; 13-05-2009 at 22:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Having not had a birth assistant of any kind last time, for this preg I wrote in my birth plan that what I expected from my doula was:

Emotional support for DP and I
    Physical support for me
    Practical support for both of us

I had no real expectations other than that she would mainly be there to remind me to focus, and for DP, as this was his first child and I worried he might be overwhelmed and not know how best to help me.

What I got was a woman who brought the most amazing calming energy to a very fast and frantic birth.

She arrived and instantly moved to where I needed her most, held my hands when I needed it (DP was at the catching end) and spoke to me in a soothing voice that instantly brought me back to earth and calmed me down (her words were probably encouraging, but I was only aware of the tone of her voice, not the actual words), guided DP verbally on clearing the cord from DS's neck (midwife hadn't arrived by that stage), helped out in the first hour or so with bringing me food and drinks, making a cuppa for DP, basically freeing him up to be by my side, and took lots of photos for us... I'm sure there was more, but my memory is still a little foggy.
    Last edited by NonnyMouse; 13-05-2009 at 22:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I guess I just want my hubby to be there, support me - emotionally and physically - hold my hand, get me drinks/food if needed and probably massage me. Helping distract me between contractions and helping me move around if I'm tired and struggling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For the birth of my son my DH and sister were my support people, and they will both be there for this one too.

During my labour my DH provided me with emotional and physical support as well as acting as my advocate regarding medical procedures etc, and my sister was also wonderful support for me and for DH.

This time my sis is in her 3rd year of studies as a midwife, so she will be my student midwife and all being well she will be able to help deliver bubs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just wanted my man there - DD is his baby too and it was a crazy experience for us both. It wouldn't have felt right without him. And even when it all turned to complete crap and things went horribly wrong, I still never swore at him or yelled at him or did the whole `this is your fault!!' thing - he's the love of my life, we were in it together.

Mostly, though, I just had him massage my feet for 33 hours because the epidural made them feel horrible

Thanks
    Reviews
    thankyou for your replies ladies.
    as a student midwife it is very interesting for me to see how partners support women in labour.

i have seen partners provide excellent emotional and physical support whilst i have seen others stare the other way.
    It is important for me to get an understanding of what women need from their support people because it is different to what is expecte of the midwife. although in many circumstances the support is very similar.

To Annonymouse. Wow what a homebirth. congratulations and i'm glad your doula was able to support you and your partner so effectivley.

thanks again for taking the time to respond.