ADVERTISEMENT

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going to sit on the fence with this one I'm afraid I agree with alot of what's been said in relation to single parents being worse off than you think, but then I also agree with what's being said about us having more financial support made available to us so for some of us on the SPP life is made that little bit easier.

In my personal situation, I am extremely greatful for all the support I get from the various Government departments - the SPP and FTBs and Rent Assistance, the CCB quarterly rebate, and also for the Education Supplement and Carers Allowance each fortnight which give me the ability to study and better my families life as well as support me in getting the best care possible for DS in terms of his Autism.

Without this help I no doubt would still be living with my parents instead of a lovely home with a great big backyard for my son, which is thankfully close to his daycare centre and the Special Education Unit he goes to.

I would like to perhaps make a suggestion also to the sole parents out there who may be finding it hard out there... I am in the same boat but am trying to make the situation better by looking 'outside the box' -- can you become more self-sufficient?? Can you grow some of your own food (fruit and veg)? Can you perhaps make some of your own clothing and linens etc. for your family? These are just two ways that I have implemented myself in order to become more self-sufficient and not only does it help me financially (not buying as much food from the shops and being able to make some of our own clothes which also helps the budget), but it gives DS and I something to do together -- he is becoming quite the keen gardener and is learning alot about nature and of course being outdoors together can only benefit us

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I'm not a single parent, nor have I ever been. But a couple of good friends of mine are single mums, and they do it tough.

In some cities, SP's are looking at 300 a week for a very basic 3 bedroom home. Rent assistance, at a maximum of $120 per fortnight, hardly even makes a dent. Now for 2 kids I know I'd be on about $950 a fortnight - 950 - 600 rent = 350 - 70 utilities = 280 - 180 food = 100. 100 bucks for petrol, car maintence/rego, phone bill, nappies formula, school uniforms, preschool etc.

I just don't get how anyone can deny SP's do it tough??

I do feel for aged pensioners, they deserved this increase. But whilst they do recieve less than SP's they have no dependants to support, just a maximum of themselves and their spouses. They have often paid off their homes, own their car and don't have a lot of overheads.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    completely sympathise

I am glad that the olds are getting something though.. too little too late really but a token amount

single parents have on their side YOUTH.. i think that is something to be grateful for..

carry on..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Phoenix Rising - you tell me to just 'get a job' well - I lost mine and if you think it's that easy in the middle of an economic recession, I think you have your head in the clouds

You only had to live on the SPP temporarily, for 9 months, while your child was a baby who didn't need lessons, kindy fees, stackloads of food, etc. That is far different to living on it and feeling like it may never end. I found the first few months a breeze, after that it's so hard to try to get ahead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    phoenix rising, you basically said "quit your whining, you don't know what real poverty is, and get a job"

forgive me if this summary is wrong, but it came across very negatively - especially for someone who says to be more positive about things (?!)

positive thinking is great, but that doesn't pay bills, put food on the table or buy warm clothes

I have found it humiliating over the last year to survive on the sole parenting payment, and I can only expect it to get more difficult as my kids get older and expenses mount. If you want to be positive, offer positive support for those who are struggling even if you aren't. By all means state your opinion, but it doesn't need to demean others

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tuttifrutti View Post
    phoenix rising, you basically said "quit your whining, you don't know what real poverty is, and get a job"

Your words not mine - but yes that is what I am saying.

I believe some people have it tough, I really do and I know some people do it really tough. And I am sorry you found it humiliating on the SPP. I personally didn't. I have worked too many years to feel that way - I saw and see what I get now as my taxes coming back to me. But I am sorry you feel differently. I guess it must be hard paying off a mortgage on the single parent pension. I admire you for what it's worth. You've done an amazing job.

As for those crying 'poor' well I don't classify people who can afford the internet as truly poor. Sorry, but if you're doing it so tough, cut off the net.

BTW, I know Tutti that you were offline for a long time, perhaps that is why - I don't know.

Please understand Tutti - this isn't a personal attack on anyone ... it's simply my opinion.

But yes, I do think most people don't know what real poverty is.

Real poverty is not eating, real poverty is no home to live in, real poverty is living out of your car, real poverty is not even having parents to move in with. Real poverty isn't having the internet, tv, etc.

I think most Australians have no idea what real poverty is.

People are entitled to have a whinge, as they do.

People are entitled to think their situation is tougher than the next persons.

I'm sure there are a percent who do it tough, get food stamps just to get by. I'm also fairly certain these people don't have computers, or the internet.

So yes - you are right, I am saying stop whinging.

So what if we didn't get anything in the budget, the people who were ignored previously did - so it all balances out.

Yes, it's unfair that there is a bias against single parents - but hey that's life.

And as for being positive. If you would like to do a quick search Tutti on things I have said on this forum, now and in the past, I think you'll find I'm probably one of the most positive people around. I would have thought you knew that about me anyway.

I am allowed to - as is everyone else, to offer my opinion - positive or not. My opinion is that there is nothing to whinge about in this budget.

Most of us have already received payout after payout - including baby bonus's.

We do have it better in Australia, that's a fact. They don't call it the lucky country for nothing.

BTW, i'm not sure how my opinion demeans others. Perhaps you can cut and paste the exact bits you feel are demeaning.

There was no attack in my post... simply my opinion... which you take offense at.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Angike View Post
    Phoenix Rising - you tell me to just 'get a job' well - I lost mine and if you think it's that easy in the middle of an economic recession, I think you have your head in the clouds

You only had to live on the SPP temporarily, for 9 months, while your child was a baby who didn't need lessons, kindy fees, stackloads of food, etc. That is far different to living on it and feeling like it may never end. I found the first few months a breeze, after that it's so hard to try to get ahead.
    Tell me where I said "Angike, get a job".

I did not personalise any of my posts. I have no actually attacked anyone... but boy have I been flamed for having an opinion!

I am sorry you are doing it tough btw, losing a job is never nice - hope you can get another one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you don't personalise your posts - why are you referring to my personal financial situation, like whether or not i have a mortgage or internet access?

btw, $10 a month for internet is hardly an extravagence. So I find your yardstick for poverty "interesting"

I also paid taxes while working and that is not the reason I feel humiliated for being on SPP - the reason is that I have to come up with excuses for not being able to afford/buy things my friends take for granted

AND if you read my initial post on this topic, I actually also said that although we do it tough we shouldn't always expect more from the government

so give me a break, I never argued we were living in poverty or that we should get a massive increase - simply that its hard and I disagree with the "solution" of "find a job".
    Last edited by Mod-Myztik; 13-05-2009 at 18:53. Reason: removing text

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by forbetoel View Post
    I feel sorry for any single mother who is struggling financially so that she can be at home raising her own child(ren)

It really isn't as simple as 'just get a job' if you are a mother who cannot bare the thought of leaving her children in daycare, and just wants to be at home raising their kids. Staying at home to raise your children is a very valid choice, and should be more attainable.

Being at home and putting your heart and soul into trying to raise good decent human beings is not only the toughest job in the world, but also the most under-valued.

It is 'the' most important job in the world, Fullstop.
    You're so lovely.

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Closed for cleaning.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345