Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Rising View Post
    And in my opinion - so they should.

They received nothing in December, nothing in March and are usually the most disadvantaged in society and least able to help themself, especially if they have no family.

I think it's interesting Single Parent Families miss out. Latest research shows 40% of families are in a single parent situation.

Not sure why Single Parents miss out.

Personally I'm not bothered. As a single parent I receive more than enough to get by:

- child care rebate
    - parenting payment A & B
    - rent assistance

We are considered pensioners, that's why we get the purple card.

Just what exactly do people want extra?

To be honest, I think after the first year of a child's life, there is no reason to stay at home full time, child care is beneficial to a childs social development and a couple of days work is beneficial to a parent as well.

You don't like what the governent give.

Get a job.

And I praise you for having the courage to say it- I certainly wouldn't have!

That would be the incentive of knowing that you work for your money and don't sit at home and do nothing for it.

I think we need to remember that we live in a country that actually gives people money who can't or won't work.

There are plenty of other countries far worse off.

Perhaps people would like to go and live on the pension in the UK.

That might bring a dose of reality as to what real poverty is all about.
    Yes- but for some it comes down to purely financial reasons. For myself, I have other incentives- advance my career, better paying job for the future etc etc

BUT if I had no desire to advance my career or get a better paying job for the future etc- there would be no incentive. When you take into consideration child care costs and such it's just not worth it.
    I got a $30 before tax payrise in December last year, so as a result my pension decreased by $40! Now, if that happens again, my pension will more than likely be wiped out which will than no doubt start effectiving other payments/benefits.

Now, I will keep working but I am working purely for my own career benefit and hoepfully better pay for the future to better support my son. This has resulted in myself refusing a pay increase at work. Now, I'll take it if it's substantial but not $30 before tax a week- it'll do more damage than good financially.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That would be the incentive of knowing that you work for your money and don't sit at home and do nothing for it.

I think we need to remember that we live in a country that actually gives people money who can't or won't work.

There are plenty of other countries far worse off.

Perhaps people would like to go and live on the pension in the UK.

That might bring a dose of reality as to what real poverty is all about.
    I totally agree with you on how good we have it COMPARED to other countries. People will always complain about something.

I do believe though being a mother is a full time job, and think it is great that mums who chose to actually be a SAHM to their kids. But there are mums out there who don't want to go back to work, and aren't really chosing to stay at home for the childrens sake, which is sad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Extroadinary, I understand where you're coming from, I have no problem with people studying or doing things to actually make their life better and being on benefits to assist that. Often to do that though people have to do it tough for a year or so, the upside is of course that you come out the other side with a better paying job or opporunities to raise through the ranks etc.

For what it's worth, when I rang and asked about benefits I asked the same question! Haha I was shocked at how low it was - but then I was going to be going from a massive salary onto the pension. That was when I knew I would only be able to have a year off, as it turned out it was only 9 months, but the best 9 months ever and I never felt I didn't have enough money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I find some of the posts in here extremely rude.

Single parents do have to survive on a very small amount of money. They do need to raise the sole parent benifit. The facts are that we live in a country with a safety net and so we should. It would be a human rights violation of us not to provide one.

Yes sole parents get more then those on a pension, only because they get extra for the costs of children, and it's not that much.

I used to be on a parenting payment and it was really hard, I am way better off in a relationship where someone is earning an income. If I went on the sole parent payment I would get more from the government, but over all I would be so much worse off. You have to earn a fair bit to be ineligible for part A or B.

The government should be providing enough for people to be able to participate in society properly, this would open educational and job opportunities to sole parents.

I don't think any sole parent isn't grateful for what they do get, that doesn't mean they should never be able to say it isn't enough, because IMO it isn't, it's a disgrace.

I know many sole parents who can't afford to own a car and who struggle to pay for public transport.

For those who say they can just go out and get a job. Many epople don't have child care close to them, or child care spots available, secondly many people don't have support of family to help them and thirdly some people don't have great job skills and really arn't employable for the types of job you need to get when you have children. I know I had no job skills and that's why I went and studied, however it was tough, and I can understand and have empathy for people who just find it all a little over whelming.

Oh and last thought, why do we sometimes value stay at home parents, untill they are single mum's, then they have to get out and get a job ASAP. So wrong

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think any sole parent isn't grateful for what they do get, that doesn't mean they should never be able to say it isn't enough, because IMO it isn't, it's a disgrace.

Phoenix, while you may have felt fortunate and privilaged - not everyone is in the same boat financially.

I did not plan to become a sole parent, the circumstances I am in were not chosen. And getting work isn't so easy either - I tried to get a job in my area for over 12 months before I ended up overseas doing volunteer work. I have plenty of experience, a PhD and 2 other degrees, and was willing to do anything including bar work and making beds in hotels. I never even got to the interview stage with any job I applied for!! That's the reality for a lot of people - there is no point saying "get a job" when there aren't any jobs.

I struggle every week to cover my expenses on the pension. Some weeks I simply don't have any money left over. That is without buying any "luxuries" like petrol, take away coffees, mobile phone credit or clothes. I always worry about money and bills.

I still count myself lucky, but I'm not going to kid myself that its easy. It's the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.

ACOSS agree that the budget inexplicably overlooks sole parents and that they do struggle a lot on the exisiting pension: http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2008/s2568675.htm
    Last edited by chrysalis; 13-05-2009 at 09:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GraceUnhearing View Post
    so am i
    i cant even afford warm clothes for me kids after rent food ad bills

but we have it easy eh?
    god i hate people that think we have it easy
    Me too! It's the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I find it a bit of a blow that for those of us who are passionate about staying home with our children not because we don't want to work but because we think children benefit more from a sahm mum have to live off approx $450 a week, lower then the minimum wage. So then we eventually are forced to go back to work and pay for the costs of childcare so end up not that much better off and our children are missing out on those benefits. Very sad.
    When I worked I was lucky DSs father took him for that one day a week I worked, if I put DS in daycare he would more than likely end up home more often than not due to illness and I have nobody to help.

Quote Originally Posted by spoon View Post
    That is not true. Kerry O'Brien said that and Wayne said "Kerry I did not say that." WHICH HE DID NOT. That is not a retration, that is calling on someone when they twist your words.

He said that aged pensioners and the like do not get as much in the way of assistance as sole parents. Which they don't.

Aged pensioners only recieve the pension, sole parents get tax a and b and jet, and pension card and health care card, etc etc. In comprison to aged pensioners, sole parents have it made.

I know many people who are in the same boat as me, we were better off when we were single and on the single parenting payment.

I should be saying where is our help?????? And by the way, there are a lot of people who are doing it tougher than you...There are going to be at least 1 million people out of a job this year and all they will get is not enough to survive on.
    Spoon, you know I have nothing but respect for you, but you can't tell me that I have it easy living off $450 per week, paying over $250 per week in rent (that's the absolute lowest rent I could find).

Us single mothers & fathers also don't have a loving, supportive partner at home. If we end up sh!t creek it's all on our back, and I'm heading that way fast!

I really think the single parents section needs to have a disclaimer like the bottle feeding and circ sections saying that it is for support only for single parents - because I don't need to hear about how "good" we have it when some of us are struggling greatly!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sockstealingpoltergeist View Post
    Oh and last thought, why do we sometimes value stay at home parents, untill they are single mum's, then they have to get out and get a job ASAP. So wrong
    why is my role as a mother only valued if I'm married/partnered?

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    You know what, I would love to go out and get a job. If only it were that easy. However, I have no family here and the waiting list for childcare in my area is over 2 years. So, I am stuck. I have looked into every avenue and not one of them is workable.

I am doing ok financially at the moment. but that is only because my parents have to help me out with rent. If they didn't, I would not have enough to live on. The average rent in my suburb has gone up to $300 a week.

I agree that the aged pension is dismal and they desperately need more, but the suggestion that single parents are sitting at home, doing nothing is laughable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GraceUnhearing View Post
    so am i
    i cant even afford warm clothes for me kids after rent food ad bills

but we have it easy eh?
    god i hate people that think we have it easy

What size are your kids in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I find it a bit of a blow that for those of us who are passionate about staying home with our children not because we don't want to work but because we think children benefit more from a sahm mum have to live off approx $450 a week, lower then the minimum wage. So then we eventually are forced to go back to work and pay for the costs of childcare so end up not that much better off and our children are missing out on those benefits. Very sad.
    I feel sorry for any single mother who is struggling financially so that she can be at home raising her own child(ren)

It really isn't as simple as 'just get a job' if you are a mother who cannot bare the thought of leaving her children in daycare, and just wants to be at home raising their kids. Staying at home to raise your children is a very valid choice, and should be more attainable.

Being at home and putting your heart and soul into trying to raise good decent human beings is not only the toughest job in the world, but also the most under-valued.

It is 'the' most important job in the world, Fullstop.