ADVERTISEMENT

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasaurus View Post
    ...and by the time the G lifts the freeze on Family Tax Benefits, WE can enjoy it all the more!!!
    does this mean we wont be getting that payment anymore?

god i hope not
    im really screwed if they stop that
    i wont be able to afford to eat

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chellegoth View Post
    I got a letter last week informing me that I was getting a "raise". A whopping $6 a fortnight Whatever shall I do with all that.

save it up over four weeks and you can buy a bottle of browns brothers wine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not sure if anyone saw the ABC analysis but Kerry O'Brien quizzed Wayne Swan on the ommission of further benefits or increase in benefits for sole parents and in a quick response, Wayne said that sole parents were already reasonably well off. He quickly retracted what he said but did state that with things like Family Tax benefit, Teen Dental, Baby bonus, the recent stimulus and the like, sole parents were already looked after.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rynosmum View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone saw the ABC analysis but Kerry O'Brien quizzed Wayne Swan on the ommission of further benefits or increase in benefits for sole parents and in a quick response, Wayne said that sole parents were already reasonably well off. He quickly retracted what he said but did state that with things like Family Tax benefit, Teen Dental, Baby bonus, the recent stimulus and the like, sole parents were already looked after.
    what a d!ck!
    i'd love him to spend a fortnight here on the money i get
    then see how well off we are

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rynosmum View Post
    That is not true. Kerry O'Brien said that and Wayne said "Kerry I did not say that." WHICH HE DID NOT. That is not a retration, that is calling on someone when they twist your words.

He said that aged pensioners and the like do not get as much in the way of assistance as sole parents. Which they don't.

Aged pensioners only recieve the pension, sole parents get tax a and b and jet, and pension card and health care card, etc etc. In comprison to aged pensioners, sole parents have it made.

I know many people who are in the same boat as me, we were better off when we were single and on the single parenting payment.

I should be saying where is our help?????? And by the way, there are a lot of people who are doing it tougher than you...There are going to be at least 1 million people out of a job this year and all they will get is not enough to survive on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GraceUnhearing View Post
    does this mean we wont be getting that payment anymore?

god i hope not
    im really screwed if they stop that
    i wont be able to afford to eat
    Sorry Grace, didn't mean to freak you out! Yes you will still get the payment - I believe that they are just changing the indexation of it to match inflation rate rather than wages.

Theoretically this lowers the rate it will increase year by year, but in this climate, I don't know how much difference it will really make. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thankfully, other than general living expense, rent ($290 pw) food etc, I don't have anything to pay except for a few hundred on my credit card. So luckily, I can afford to only work 2 days a week, and be a stay at home mum the rest. I budget, but can still afford to get clothes, some luxuries and the occasional dinner out.

I don't get any financial support from my sons father.

When I found out I was pregnant with my son, I panicked thinking how can I afford to live, then contacted Centrelink and was amazed and surprised how much money we got without working. Sure as I said, thankfully I don't have any big expenses. I know it is a lot harder for many single mums with large payments etc.

I do however, think we are very fortunate to be single mums in this country rather than other countries like USA etc. I feel we do have it rather good. IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy76 View Post
    Thankfully, other than general living expense, rent ($290 pw) food etc, I don't have anything to pay except for a few hundred on my credit card. So luckily, I can afford to only work 2 days a week, and be a stay at home mum the rest. I budget, but can still afford to get clothes, some luxuries and the occasional dinner out.

I don't get any financial support from my sons father.

When I found out I was pregnant with my son, I panicked thinking how can I afford to live, then contacted Centrelink and was amazed and surprised how much money we got without working. Sure as I said, thankfully I don't have any big expenses. I know it is a lot harder for many single mums with large payments etc.

I do however, think we are very fortunate to be single mums in this country rather than other countries like USA etc. I feel we do have it rather good. IMO.
    I was exactly the same.

When I found out I was pregnant, I freaked out and started doing serious research. When I spoke to Centrelink and they told me the max I could get while not working and no child support was $900 a fortnight, I was gobsmacked. I said to the guy- but that's what I earn right now! I asked him, where was the incentive for people to get back out into the workforce if I'll be earning the same with staying at home, to getting into the workforce.

Personally I think there should be more incentive for people to work.

At the moment, I think I am ok. I'm not struggling and we're plodding along happily. I just ask and pray that they don't CUT BACK payments cause than we might struggle a bit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    [quote=chunkydunks;3720742From what I've heard its only the age pensioners getting the increase not all pensioners. [/quote]

And in my opinion - so they should.

They received nothing in December, nothing in March and are usually the most disadvantaged in society and least able to help themself, especially if they have no family.

I think it's interesting Single Parent Families miss out. Latest research shows 40% of families are in a single parent situation.

Not sure why Single Parents miss out.

Personally I'm not bothered. As a single parent I receive more than enough to get by:

- child care rebate
    - parenting payment A & B
    - rent assistance

We are considered pensioners, that's why we get the purple card.

Just what exactly do people want extra?

To be honest, I think after the first year of a child's life, there is no reason to stay at home full time, child care is beneficial to a childs social development and a couple of days work is beneficial to a parent as well.

You don't like what the governent give.

Get a job.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Extraordinary View Post
    I asked him, where was the incentive for people to get back out into the workforce if I'll be earning the same with staying at home, to getting into the workforce
    That would be the incentive of knowing that you work for your money and don't sit at home and do nothing for it.

I think we need to remember that we live in a country that actually gives people money who can't or won't work.

There are plenty of other countries far worse off.

Perhaps people would like to go and live on the pension in the UK.

That might bring a dose of reality as to what real poverty is all about.