Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Budget - Single parents on pension miss out

This is the second time that krudd has forgotten about the single parents. First with the stimulas package in december every other pensioner including those with kids would get $1400 plus $1000 per child however the single parents only got $1000 per child. Now with the pension increase all the other pensioners get the increase but the single parents dont! Now dont get me wrong Im grateful for the government allowing me to stay home. However I am a single parent studying at university busting my gut to get a career and to get off the pension all I ask is some help! If its good for everyone else why not single parents. Do you feel this is discrimination? What do other single parents think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm not surprised.

They didn't mention families at all though.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm no expert.

But I was talking about this with DH today...

and I think it's a 'wording' thing... political red tape BS...

Single Parents is not actually a 'pension' it's:

Parenting Payment- Single...

Listed as an 'income support payment'
    same as parenting payment- partnered and Austudy.

It sucks... but yeah, that's my drift.

Where as disability and seniors is actually a 'pension' if that makes any sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am busting my gut also to get through uni but do not have anywhere near the help I would get if I was a single parent. I would get JET assistance, Tax A and B, and all the other payments you get. I doubt it is discrimination for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OJandMe View Post

Single Parents is not actually a 'pension' it's:

Parenting Payment- Single...
    Not sure about this.
    I get "pensioner" rebates on certain utilites and also have a "Pensioner concession card" because I am on PPS. It's an interesting point. Either way, we miss out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think it's unfortunate that our payments haven't gone up to fit in with the cost of living.

Now that I'm not working, nor receiving child support , I'm really struggling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    I know I'm not a single parent but I the OP is wrong. With the first stimulus we got $1000 for DS and $1050 for DH (who is on DSP) not $1400.

From what I've heard its only the age pensioners getting the increase not all pensioners.

Tell you what we could do with an increase....with all the medical expenses we really struggle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont get child support either so yes its a struggle. And spoon dont get me wrong I know that I am lucky to live in a country where I can get financial support from the government. maybe instead of the increase of the single parent payment maybe have an increase in the pensioner education suppliment as it would encourage a lot of other single parents to study. Its unfortunate that nappies, formula etc goes up but not our payment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBabyBoy View Post
    Not sure about this.
    I get "pensioner" rebates on certain utilites and also have a "Pensioner concession card" because I am on PPS. It's an interesting point. Either way, we miss out.
    Thats because it USED to be classed as a pension so the companies have kept in the rebates for PPS receivers as an incentive to keep those customers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok so Im not a single parent either, but I think payments should go up with the cost of living.

Also does anyone know what they said about family tax benefits?? Are they taking these away so we get nothing now? CAn someone please explain

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast