+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Regarding IVF ICSI Help

Hi Ladies,
    I have been TTC for just over to yrs with no success . I have been to FS and they put me on Clomid as well as Metformin for pcos which i didnt have the chemical side of.
    I have had another recent Ultrasound and that showed that i no longer have pcos.

I am 27 yrs old and DH is 25, i have an appointment with Westmead IVF on June 5th.
    I have doen some research on IVF and ICSI and i was wondering if anyone ladies out there can tell me from experience the actual process that you go through when you do a cycle of IVF and also a cycle of ICSI??

I know that i will receieve information when i go see the FS but i would prefer here it first hand from other ladies that have actually experienced it and have gone through it.. It's different hearing it come from a person that has experienced it first hand than to get the medical version of the procedure, if you know what i mean.

Also if there is anyone out there that have been to westmead IVF clininc i would also like to hear about your experience and how things went for you..

Thanks very much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi.
    We used Westmead fertility centre and i'm currently 28 weeks pregnant. We started there in 2005 and didn't do IVF straight away. Our FS started us with clomid and metformin and after that didn't work we went to the clinic and did OI/IUI (ovulation induction using injections, and insemination of my husbands sperm into my uterus) about 4 times. The OI did make me ovulate but none of the cycles resulted in a pregnancy. We then went on to do IVF. Cycle 1 was cancelled just before pick up due to poor response . Cycle 2 i developed OHSS but i did fall pregnant. Unfortunately i ended up having a missed miscarriage . Later that year we did a frozen embryo transfer (FET) which was a BFN After the FET we had no embryos left, so had to do another fresh cycle. Cycle 3 started Aug last year and i'm pregnant with a healthy baby boy as a result of it.

The nurses at the fertility centre are wonderful, you will see them a lot.
    If you have any questions there is always someone on here to help you out. You can PM me anytime. Goodluck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello

Which i didnt have the chemical side of.

Hey what does this mean?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    IVF and ICSI mean the same thing for you as far as what you have to do and go through.

What they refer to is the differing methods of fertilisation done once the eggs have been harvested.

IVF the egg is combined in the dish with the sperm and left to self fertilise. (Hence In-vitro fertilisation...IVF)

ICSI the sperms is selected by a technician and injected into the egg forcably. This usually results in a better rate of fertilisation and is mostly used for men with lowish sperm counts or morphology. (ICSI = Intra Cellular Sperm Injection)

In most cases the Stimulation cycle runs as follows.

You will have to sniff a drug that stops your own hormones while you inject other hormones daily. It's easy..the needle is very fine and the amount injected is very small..you won't even feel it.

The hormones make your ovaries overproduce on the eggs and by about 10 to 12 days you will be seeing lots of nice big follicles on the ultrasounds. Your FS will ask you to inject a trigger hormone, and then a day or so later he harvests the now mature and ready to be fertilised eggs. This is done under general anaesthetic. You may be sore for a day or so.

They will take those eggs to the lab for 2 or 5 days.

You'll be back on the clomid to prep you for the transfer. Then you sit around with your legs in the air while around 5 nurses ask you you date of birth and confirm again again and again how many are going back in. The FS will use a speculum and catheter to put your embryo's back in your womb.

Then you go home. Contemplate the nastiness of the Clomid you still need to use and wait your 10 days until your blood test.

Fingers crossed.

Good luck...it's really not too bad and the end result is worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    nex, it's crinone, not clomid.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thanks

Thanks it gets a bit confusing when you speak to a doctor or a nurse and that make it all sound very medical lol but when you hear if from someone that has experienced it first hand it makes it a hole lot easier to understand.
    So what medication is given?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are also having our 1st appointment with Westmead in June. As this is our 1st I am unsure of all your abbreviations like BFP/BFN ?? Have been able to work out a few. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the information we have been given but am hoping it will become clearer once we see FS in june.