+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mums with boys please help!!!

Hi, my ds is 2 and 4 months and the last 3 mornings when he wakes up and i go to do his first nappy change of the morning he touches his penis and says "Mummy sore" and points to the paw paw cream i have on the shelf. I have checked it out and there are no visible signs of any problems "down there" but i said, "do you want Mummy to put some cream on there" and he says "yeah". When i put the cream on he gets a little erection and starts laughing. So, obviously, it doesnt seem to me that it is really sore but that he is looking for a little attention "down there". I have offered him the jar and said, "Fraser put the cream on" but he says "no, mummy". Arrggghhh!!!!

My question is how do i handle this situation? This morning when i refused and said, "no, its not sore, come on, we'll just change your nappy" he ended up sreaming and wriggling and yelling "mummy, sore" so much it took a huge effort to get his nappy on (i am 7 months pregnant which doesnt help!) It is only the first nappy change of the day that he says this.

Has anyone else been through this or have any ideas of how to handle it? Would you get things checked out with the dr, even though it doesnt seem there is anything wrong and that he just wants the attention? Would you just persist and keep saying no its not sore and try getting the nappy change done as quickly as possible?

Thanks in advance girls!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Funny litle creatures aren't they!!!

From what you've said I wouldn't think you need to see a doctor, I'd tend to think it's just a funny little game/habbit he has gotten into. I think if it really was sore he wouldn't laugh and you'd be able to tell if it was really hurting...

My son was a little sick a while ago and ever since then when I ask him is he ok, he replies "feel sick mummy" at first I was worried he really was sick but I soon realised it was jsut something he had learned from when he was actually sick. Now I just say really or are you just being funny and then he will usually laugh and it's all over...
    Maybe it's a bit like that with your son? I can understand your concern though, being your son's penis it might all seem a bit strange. I'd say it probably tickles a bit when you put the cream on and he thinks it's funny. I know when I clean my sons penis he'll sometimes laugh and say "tickle".

Sorry I'm not much help... Just thought I'd share some of my experiences. I would say it's a bit of a game and a phase. The Paw paw cream wont do any harm to be putting on there and I think asking him to do it is a good idea otherwise I don't have many suggestions. Perhaps when you take his nappy off tomorrow just say "Look, all better, YAY!" get involved in the game that way lol

Hope something there helps lol

ETA
    Just an after thought, does your son spend time with anyone else? Is there anyone else who changes his nappy?
    Last edited by mysonmysun; 07-05-2009 at 11:55.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Haha!

Sounds like he likes the attention.
    I'd probably try to divert his attention, so say something like: No, I think the only way to fix it is to tickle you! ...and then give him a good tickle/hug whatever works. Or say you're all out of cream, but Bob the Builder is about to start.

My son had pains when he was peeing when he was about 2 and 10 months. He was SCREAMING that it hurt all of a sudden, went to hospital, and it turned out he had phimosis. It basically means the hole in the foreskin is too small, so it hurts to pee. He got some cream to put on it, and it's fine now.

I just wanted to tell you, because looking back, he said it hurt sometimes too, but then it went away again, and I didn't think anything of it. Until it REALLY started hurting, then we went to see the doctor!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks mysonmysun (i love your username by the way..its just beautiful). Do you know i didnt even think of looking and saying its all better now...before he gets in with a chance of saying its sore! Great idea!!! Ill try that tomorrow if hes still playing the game.

My husband changes his nappy too but usually only after his bath as he baths him, and we share it on the weekends. He hasnt said it to my husband, but then again he has only said it to me first nappy change of the morning. Hmmmm...little monkeys arent they! Certainly come up with some interesting ways of testing their parents. I just dont want him to ever think its wrong or anything to be interested in his body or to touch it and explore, i just didnt expect him to try to involve me in it! I know he is only 2, but my gosh, they know how to fluster us dont they! Thanks so much for your reply.

Jodie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi cmfbaker,

Thanks for the distraction ideas..i know tickling definately is a good distraction for my ds, so ill try that too! If hes still complaining in a few days after trying some of these ideas i might get him checked out just in case.

Cheers, Jode

JackzMumma is offline My family is finally complete!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My advice is to take away the cream from where you usually put it, and when he says it's sore, say "cream is all gone" or even just ignore it and start talking about breakfast or what you are going to do that day. Everytime you give him attention he's going to keep doing it.

DS1 would get into some silly habits, and the best way to change them was just to ignore him, deal with the tantrum and he would take on a new habit. One of his silly habits DH started. After a bath he would lift DS1 up to touch the ceiling. DS1 expected his mummy to do it too. He's 22kg!! And I just had to refuse. There would be a big tantrum, but after a few days he'd forgotten, and we had started to love being wrapped up in the towel like a coccoon instead. A much better habit!!