+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default has anyone changed their last name to that of their partners?

just curious is anyone has ever decided to change their last name to that of their partners so that they have the same name as their kids? (ie staying in a defacto relationship as apposed to getting married)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have a couple of friends who hyphenated their names and their partner did the same so that they all began family life with the same name - but both got to contribute.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my sister did. after 20 years of defacto she was using his name. they recently married.. funnily recently separated too ... life is weird

Thanks
    Reviews
    my last name i don't really like and i know its cliched but i would like DD and me to have the same last name...just not fazed by the whole marriage idea...but if i changed my name over and if we did not end up together forever then its just me that needs to switch back..seems much less hassle than going through a divorce?

morrigan...it certainly is

Thanks
    Reviews
    My partner has wanted to for a while now. It is me that has been resisting and suggesting we wait a bit longer. Just not sure how long a "bit longer" is to be honest.

We've known each other for 5 years and been dating/living together for nearly 2 years now.

I don't oppose it, just don't feel any need or compelling reason. But i think we'll be doing it this year.

I'm not a fan of hyphenated names as i wonder what the child will do if they meet someone with an hyphenated name or wish to hyphenate their name when they partner/marry.

Might start to sound a little like English Aristocracy if we keep adding more names to the already hyphenated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I kept my name, and so did my wife. I really wouldn't have liked the idea of her taking my name, because of the history of women as chattel. Luckily, she felt the same way so it was fine, plus it would have been a bother for her to have to change her name as she has a successful professional identity, plus all the paperwork. We are married, and didn't really think about it until then, but if it had come up I would have felt the same way in a defacto relationship.

We are just starting to have discussions about our future child's name.
    Hyphenation is an option, but with both our names it is a bit long. I'm happy for our child to have her surname, so that is another option, and we have tentatively discussed making a new one out of both of ours, or just making one up.

Queensland Premier Anna Bligh and her husband gave their children a made up surname, "Frances". I think it is her mother or grandmothers name? Which is a nice idea, and a good way to honour a family connection.

Ultimately though, I don't think having a common name is what makes a family, it's the connection between you all. I still feel the same way about my sister, even though we no longer share a name.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i am married and i hyphenate my name.. i like my maiden name it is my identity and i dont want to change all my bank accounts and ID

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post

Ultimately though, I don't think having a common name is what makes a family, it's the connection between you all. I still feel the same way about my sister, even though we no longer share a name.

Cheers,

Mike
    You've hit the nail on the head there Mike, that couldn't be a truer statement if ever there was one...if that makes sense

We are married and I kept my name....DS has DH's surname, it doesn't bother me at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I kept my surname and will never change it. I like my name, and it's also quite unusual so I don't want it to die out (my dad doesn't have any male relatives/sons etc).

My kids have my name as a 2nd middle name and their dad's name as their surname. It doesn't cause us any trouble at all.

I have "baggsed" that the next child gets my surname instead of his!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dp and I couldnt decide which surname my daughter would take on, I really wanted to carry on my family name because we are a dieing breed lol but of course my dp wanted to carry on his name so we negotiated and came up with a plan to change both of our surnames to one we both liked ('Rain' because we love the rain) and so when my daughter came along she took on the surname Rain