+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 15mo taking 1 hr to go down for day nap

My 15mo daughter has never been the best sleeper but started routines quite early on and has been good since, only bad when sick or transitioning naps in the day.

She has just the one sleep in the day just after lunch around 11.30-12noon for between 1-3hrs, but average 1.5 hrs. She wakes up between 6-7am.

The past couple of days she seems to be tired (and knows it's nap time!) but just keeps playing and mucking around in her cot instead of going to sleep. I have been just leaving her in there and going in every now and than putting her back down, tucking her in and saying bedtime, but not really working until she finally just falls asleep about an hour after I put her to bed.

Is it just a phase? Is she not tired enough for bed? Don't want to be putting her to bed much later than this time as she'll go down even later at night. Anyone else experiencing these problems? HELP PLEASE!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD does the same thing. And IMO, if she's not crying (just lying there chatting to herself and playing) then there's really no problem.

If she drifts off after an hour of doing this, and sleeps for 3 hours, I just see that 1st hour as a bonus (more time to myself!)

Maybe your DD needs a later sleep time? Or if you're happy with her just playing around in there, (she's not upset or crying for you) I'd say just leave her, she drifts off eventually, so there's really no problem

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    in my experience everytime DD refused to go down to sleep at her usual time or took longer than usual to fall asleep it meant I needed to change something in her routine.

Maybe she's able to stay awake longer now and needs a later nap time and less sleep during the day? Just try tweaking her routine a bit and see what works for you. That's how we have always dealt with sleeping problems.

Thanks
    Reviews
    sounds to me as well like she is not quiet tired yes she knows its normally nap time at this time so thats maybe why she is getting grizzley or showing other signs she is ready for bed i always find for me at this time as we get it to around 11.30-12.30 depending on the day but my girls then dont go down to sleep untill about 1 or 2 we just have a change of scene either go in another room to play or outside go read some books or quiet often a bath as that gives them a second wind and refreshes them for anther hour or 2
    maybe she is just getting bigger and needs to push her sleep back even if its 1-4 that is a good sleep and if you wake her by 4 going back to bed at 7 should not be a problem

good luck