+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We will not be christening any of our children (unless they ask to be). I have no interest in sending our kids to a Catholic school. IMO, the public schools in this area are great (even better than some of the Catholic schools from the stories I've heard), neither DBF or I are christened or religious in any way and I would feel like a total hypocrite. My children will learn about religion in school, at scripture, and I will let my kids decide what religion they want to be. DBF and I are both atheists. We aren't even having a naming day.

I went to public schools and have great faith in the public system (providing good old Johnny boy doesn't screw it up too much...but then we'd look at private schools, not catholic and I hate the private school here.)

Mamaduke is offline Jacob Louis has arrived!
    Winner 2007 – The ‘Tell It Like It Is’ Straight Shooter Award
    & The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumtoone
    providing good old Johnny boy doesn't screw it up too much
    Education is primarily regulated by the individual state governments, not the federal government.
    Every state in Australia has the Labour Party in power, and therefore responsible for State schools...at the moment anyway!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Well shows how much I know about politics!! lol Maybe I should start reading what they send me instead of tossing it straight in the bin!

Mamaduke is offline Jacob Louis has arrived!
    Winner 2007 – The ‘Tell It Like It Is’ Straight Shooter Award
    & The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep...you've got to read it all...and know your local member (both State and Federal)!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    good luck making that choice my opinion is wait until your kids understand or have their own choice in the matter because their belief might turn out different later in life, however you should try your best in bringing them up with christian values such as respect /love / compassion and honour with these small little deeds your kids can choose for themselfs .
    good luck
    you have nothing to lose but a lot to gain from your choice
    God bless you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Debster
    Hope this doesn't seem a strange, but my DH asked me if we were going to get DS Christened. Neither of us practice a religion. I went to Catholic school but that is as far as it went.

Can someone please explain to me if they think it would be beneficial to have my DS chistened and why , as I really don't know and it has got me thinking. DS will be attending a Christian based childcare centre and probably down the track school. I picked this because they seem to be more caring and also have a strong commitment to children and care and is the best childcare centre where we live. Both DH and myself don't have any real religious beliefs but that doesn't mean I am not open minded about the matter.

Any thoughts and advice on this topic would be appreciated. Sorry for my niaivity in the matter.

How about a Naming Day? Many people like to have this in place of a baptism/christening if they are not practicing any religion but still want some ceremony to celebrate their child's arrival. It has become a popular way of celebrating your child's arrival without religious ties. Sending to a religious school will give them a choice which is valuable, but you do not have to be baptised to go to a religious school actually. So, having a Naming Day for your child gets you a bit of everything. Many Celebrants do Naming Days. Perhaps give some a call and enquire. It is not a legal thing like a wedding is, but they can still put together a nice ceremony. Or you could put together your own service with family and friends doing readings and poetry etc etc. Up to you, but it is a popular option of you do not feel you would want a christening but still want something.

All the best in what you decide to do.