+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default First time 39yo motherless mum-to-be seeks doula, midwife or student

Hi there

I recently read the book Motherless Mothers by Hope Edelman. One of the major messages is to encourage women like me to recognise that we need to ask for help along our motherhood journey. I lost my mother when I was 15 months old and every major life event has been coloured with an episode of grief. Rather than beat myself up about this I've come to realise that it is only natural.

I'm looking for a doula, midwife or student who is comfortable talking about these sort of issues, just in case it comes up for me during labour. In the book it was a very common experience in stopping labour at some point for many motherless mothers.

I am, by the way, a very excited mum-to-be who is in love with this whole experience.

I'm in SE Melb and booked in at Casey Hospital where they have an absolutely lovely team of midwifes. I've opted for midwife led care along the way, so no doctors involved .

I'm the sort of person who would have opted for a homebirth if my husband was up for it, but he's not (maybe next time). I'm also considering having a waterbirth at the hospital.

I know I can look through all the websites and send emails to doulas in the directory, but I'm honestly just going around in circles and haven't felt confident to pick up the phone. But I'm sure I'll get up the courage a give a few a call sometime soon.

Hoping for a few replies from people working in the area.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Mama,
    I'm not sure if your also looking for help once you arrive home but if you are I am in the SE suburbs and have just become a certified Postnatal Doula.
    Let me know if I can help, I'm sure lots of people will come along soon to offer their services. Good luck
    Tracey

Thanks
    Reviews

Default support

Hi Mamacuddles,

I have sent you a pm

Meredith

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi Mumma,

My name is Ashleigh and i would be stoked to help you out if you are still looking, i am a reg nurse and midwifery student also in SE suburbs, please email me on ashleigh.obrien@hotmail.com x

Thanks
    Reviews
    oops, so it is!!
    Last edited by melissa.r; 14-04-2010 at 13:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This thread was started almost a year ago.. she will have bubs in her arms now