+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I had a rather awful experience birthing DS (induced, epi, ARM, ventouse, 3rd degree tear, no continuity of care etc) that I really wanted a better experience for DD. I wasn't able to attend a course (too expensive and I was working full time). I bought a hypno birthing book though and read it. It really did help, the biggest thing I took from the book was to not be afraid of labour as it will trigger a fear-pain cycle. (ie, you get scared and your fear makes your contractions feel worse, your contractions feel worse so you get more scared etc). My first contraction with DD was at 7:48 on a Friday night. It didn't feel like much, maybe a slight period pain and I didn't quite know what spontaneous labour felt like. I had this slight pains during the night about every hour or so. In the morning they were getting a bit stronger but really very manageable. Not really pain, just an acknowledgement of something going on.
    I did housework, phoned my Mum and later sat on the swiss ball and watched a movie. The contractions really weren't that painful at all, not like this hollywood nonsense that has so much to answer for. When the contractions started to get more intense and closer together we went to the hospital (1pm the following day). In hindsight we should have gone earlier and things really escalated in the car and I obviously couldn't move around. The hospital was only a 15 minute drive but unbelievably there was a traffic jam which totally stressed me out and added 10 minutes to the journey. By the time we got to hospital I had lost my calmness. I asked my MW to give me an examination, I wanted some sort of indication of progress. I was a little anxious about this because I know labours don't progress in a steady line. I told myself that if it was anything less than 5 cm I might be in trouble but anything more I'm ok for now and I'll work on getting my calm back. I could have cried with tears of joy when the MW said "you're a good 8 cms". I think there were only about 10 more contractions (max) after that that I had the urge to push and within a few minutes and I think less than about 5 pushes DD was out and having mummy cuddles on my chest (she was born 35 minutes after getting to the hospital).

I do think the hypnobirthing information I learnt helped me. The contractions weren't pain-free but 95% of them were only about a 3 on a 1 to 10 pain scale.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

brisvegasmum  (20-10-2012),Explora  (28-09-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did a hynobirth course before my first, and I think it helped me alot.

First birth - I was contracting from Tuesday to Friday, so I was at home on little sleep but stayed pretty sane and happy with strong contractions. Ended up with an epidural on the Friday morning though but was still happy with how things went. Official time was 14 hours, but I still remember Tuesday to Friday so I count that too!! lol.

Second birth - was 2h 50m, first 2 hours spent at home after my waters broke, until they got down to 2 mins apart all of a sudden! Had my girl in around 45 minutes once I got to the Birth Centre (was 8cms when we arrived), no drugs, just a TENS machine. I remember helping out the midwife with paper work she was doing on the bed infront of my butt.

I just read my course book before #2 arrived and really concentrated on not fearing the whole situation and not referring to it as 'pain'. Breathe through the contractions instead of resisting them. The midwives thought it was a calm birth because I wasn't screaming and didn't seem upset/anxious, but I just wanted to concentrate on what my body was doing because it was so surreal. I felt and remembered everything!

PM me if you want to read that birth story on my blog.

I feel really lucky to have had 2 great pregnancies and labours, so I am hoping for another one

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my little baby (9mths now) in May last year.
    I did a HypnoBirthing course, which taught my husband and I the Monghan Method.
    There was lots of relaxation practise and breathing and visualisation excercises.
    The course actually helped me have a relaxed pregnancy pre-birth, and set us up not to engage in fear-pain response cycles.
    It actually worked. I went into labour at home 10 days after my due date. I was in labour for most of the afternoon with my husband quietly timing my contractions. We went for lunch and walk around the neighbourhood whilst I gently laboured. The contractions felt like tickles (honestly) and I easily used the brething I had learned to work with them
    My husband noticed later in the day that my contractions were 3 mins apart, and insisted phoning the hospital. I was embarressed to be wasting their time.]
    The midwife suggested we come in right away, so we drove the 15 mins to the hospital where a warm bath was waiting for me. I never had any internals or my waters broken, simply laboured in the bath for around an hour until baby started coming down . It took another 45 mins to birth him, his waters bursting just before he was born, I laughed as it felt like a balloon bursting!
    He immediatley latched on and fed for a good 10 mins before falling into a deep sleep.
    I would recommend hynobirthing especially if you are into yoga/relaxation/mediation, as you find it commonsense and easy, but if you are not familiar with any of this I would still give it a try for sure.
    My hynobirthing practitioner was in Auburn, but she recently movd up to the central coast. Her name is Natalie, and you can find her at Decisive Focus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Birth of Roisin

I shared my first birth 3 years ago, and although I don't post anymore thought I'd share my second birth for those interested in hypnobirthing.

I had a wonderful Doula first time, who we then engaged this time.

I found I couldn't read the book again and I hated listening to my CD. Complete opposite to last time. Last time it relaxed me and sent me off to sleep this time it just annoyed me.

I had acupuncture to prepare for birth - last time I had it to induce.

I went into labour mid-afternoon (from memory). I found I was more incontrol of my surges this time and I loved being in the bath. I remember thinking I was having more of a hypno-type birth this time. Anyway, I phoned my mum to come over as she was looking after DD. I though I was calling in plenty of time, however I started to worry that she wasn't going to get there in time.

Mum arrived and I was in the bath. I got out and things really got going. I asked DH to call our Doula and tell her to meet us at the hospital rather than coming to the house. She told him it was probably too early. I insisted to him that I HAD to go now so we called her back. She said to put the phone near me and she would listen. I had one surge and she said that it sounded like I still had a way to go. So, I decided to just let it all out (although I hadn't realised I was letting it all in). She then said, no you need to get in the car now!

I called the hospital and said we are on our way and I'm pretty sure I want to push. I then set the sat nav and gave my DH directions to the hospital.

A midwife was waiting for us at the entrance to the hospital. We made our way to a birthing room.

I walked into the room, and I couldn't find the shower (which is where I had DD1). I saw the bed and though, I'll climb up there and get on all fours, that should be comfy enough. Made my way to the bed and thought I can't get up there and just got down on the floor.

Midwife went to examine me, said "no need to examine her the baby is there". I had to slow down my pushing as Roisin had her hand at her face. Then out she came. 7 minutes after arriving at hospital.

I could feel her when we were on our way in and was able to slow everything down thankfully.

The difference between the labours, I was so much more incontrol this time. First time when I had to push my stomach just took over and if someone said stop pushing there was no way I would have been able to stop.

And I was talking and calm. First time I would not have been able to have a conversation with the hospital or give directions etc.

The midwife who met me at the entrance said that when they first saw me they didn't think I was ready to give birth yet.

My DH said it was nothing like the first time, he was expecting me to seem like I was in more pain like the first time round.

I'd also like to mention that I don't associate pain with either birth. Although I did think in the bath - oh boy I remember this!

Sorry it is a bit all over the place, don't get a chance to get onto the computer much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Plan to try n read up more on this fantastic method-had a waterbirth, a doula, now just need to master hynobirthing....for our July birth
    Any stories frm S.Australia?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Bump!

I just found this thread, I've done the Hypnobirthing course and am due in a bit under four weeks.

Like others have said I couldn't get my head around Marie Mongans voice on the cd (so annoying) but what's working for me is I got my DH to re-record the relaxation track with his voice. So much better!

Any hubbers used Hypnobirthing recently in 2015?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good idea Scubagirl, cs she did my head in too, lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had heard of hypnobirthing when I had my first child but never went and did it. During labour, I had the pleasure of having a midwife with experience with calm birthing and she took me through some birthing exercises. I was AMAZED at the difference in my pain levels just by her talking me through, so I can only imagine how amazing it would be if I had had time to practice. Now pregnant with bub number 2 and will definitely be doing it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsTihema View Post
    I had heard of hypnobirthing when I had my first child but never went and did it. During labour, I had the pleasure of having a midwife with experience with calm birthing and she took me through some birthing exercises. I was AMAZED at the difference in my pain levels just by her talking me through, so I can only imagine how amazing it would be if I had had time to practice. Now pregnant with bub number 2 and will definitely be doing it
    I had a similar experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I need to read this whole thread lol