+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ManaB View Post
    Our instructor explained it to us as hypnobirthing is about encouraging you to put your faith in the process and strength of hypnosis, whereas calmbirth helps you to understand and trust your own body and its natural mechanisms for dealing with birth. A big part of it is about the cycle of fear/tension/pain and the physiology behind it, ways to work with the process your body's going through rather than against it. I'd heard previously that calmbirthing was just an AU interpretation of hypnobirthing. Nuh uh. As mentioned by PP, Calmbirth acknowledges that most people experience pain - there is still a tendency to refer to contractions as "surges" or "sensations" but we also looked at surveys taken after birth about how manageable women who had done CB training had found the pain.

For me the understanding of the physiology and hormones was as valuable as the relaxation - and in its own way I think that understanding, and understanding of how important it was to keep up the oxygen levels and therefore keep breathing etc, did as much to relax me as any visualisation.

Would depend a lot on your instructor, but based on our experience I'd highly recommend a Calmbirth course. Was as, if not more, valuable for my partner who prior to the course viewed birth as a medical emergency waiting to happen. He came out over-confident, if anything!
    Id say this is spot on! =)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i am also thinking of trying hypno birth this time as i had a very traumatic first labour i want to try relaxing throw this one and try and enjoy it. hope it all goes to plan this time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any ladies have advice for a repeat hypnobirther? I will find it hard to do a two day course with a toddler and I thought I might approach my practitioner for a one-on-one session. We got through last birth and I still use techniques for relaxation now but I'd like to be ready and raring.

Just interested in opinions

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our instructor offered repeat visits to any part of the weekend session for free (during that pregnancy) and at half price for subsequent pregnancies - might be worth enquiring with your local/previous practitioner? I think a shorter one on one session focussing on what was most effective during your last labour and any concerns you have about this one would be a really good idea!
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did calm birth for DD1 and really liked it. More so hearing about the positive success stories and how empowered everyone was. I was so scared before CB course and then afterwards I felt all ready to go and excited.

We had to have an emergency C section however, but was still useful in dealing with breast feeding pain!

Hoping to have a VBAC with next bub so might try and do a re-fresher somewhere.
    Last edited by clucky77; 04-08-2011 at 13:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didnt do the class, just read the book.

I found that it took too much concentration during labour to focus on it. It found it easier to say to myself, I am going to stay calm and not fight this. Once you accept it, and know you are only going to think about one contraction at a time then its not so scary and you dont need to take your mind anywhere else.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4intheBed For This Useful Post:

EvilWombatQueen  (29-10-2011),ScubaGal  (17-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's good to hear, 4intheBed. I can't afford classes so I'm just reading the book and listening to the CD and was wondering if it would still have a positive impact on the birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi! This is probably too late for you Newbie31 but I have heard that there is now someone in Perth running calmbirth classes. I don't have all the details but if you contact pjackson@calmbirth.com.au apparently they will point you in the right direction. I hope this is useful for someone!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default .... so worth it! (plus the books I read)

The thing I am most thankful for in my pregnancy was my Calmbirth class.

My partner was a skeptical at first, but after we attended the classes and read all the info I couldn't have been happier. (My darling 22 year old partner was a little uneasy about taking his "un-birth-educated, tattoed-self" into a class about calm birthing.)

My labour was quick (5 hours), fairly painless, fully natural, drug-free and a calm experience. I fully put it down to the tools I learned about in Calmbirth.

Not to be rude, but I'm not a hippy - as some people may think of these Calmbirth classes. I was just looking for some way of coping. The main thing I learnt from the classes was to trust my body - lets face it, women have been birthing for years.

If you're looking for a book to read - I would suggested anything by Ina May. I loved Spiritual Midwifery - sounds deep, but take from it what you please!!!!

I just believe that the pain in labour is mostly caused by the fear - and it was this book and my calmbirthing lessons that taught me this.

Good Luck with it. I wish you a calm birth!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default My story

For my first birth I attended CalmBirth classes and hired a private IM for a homebirth. My midiwfe spent a lot of time with me and had a lot of stuff to talk about, but some of what she said differed to the apporach of Calmbirth so I disregarded her. She was respectful of my choices and supported me in what I wanted. When labour came around, I employed the techniqes I learnt and it was really useful. I breezed through the first part of my labour. But toward the end, I started to get excruciating back pain and seemed to be stuck in one place. I wouldn't listen to my midwife re what she suggested. I kept going and eventually wore the skin off my back I (and support people) rubbed it so hard. And when I did listen to her, Calm birth techniques were not helping anymore and I found it impossible to do some of the things she was suggestng because I had practiced only specific things in pregnancy. How can you learn new principles in a situation like that? Long story - I ended up transferring and having a c/section.

On retrospection, I found that the calmbirth course has extremely useful tools, but it is not THE truth and has nothing to help those labours that are out of the norm for one genuine physical reason or another. I wish now that I had of gone a bit deeper than the calm birth techniques.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bunya For This Useful Post:

changethestars  (11-03-2012)