ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie31 View Post
    Hi everyone, can someone please explain to me the difference between calmbirthing and hypnobirthing? I live in Perth and there are no calmbirth practitioners, but a few hypnobirth ones. I am trying to decide whether it's worth flying to Melbourne or Adelaide to attend a calmbirth course.

Hi newbie31,

I am no t sure on definitive differences, but I'm pretty sure that they are very similar. If I wasn't able to access a calmbirth course locally, I would totally do a hypnobirthing course instead. The only reason I even looked for the course in the first place was because I ran into someone who had done it and really recommended it.

Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    CalmBirth is a system based on hypnobirthing and created by an Aussie. My understanding is that it is very similar to hypnobirthing but uses different terminology - for example, hypnobirthing may shy away from the word "pain", whereas CalmBirth acknowleges the pain while learning to work through it. People can also be under the false understanding that being "hypnotised" is some kind of magical state in which they are not going to feel any pain at all.

If you understand that the "hypnosis" is really just a deep state of relaxation and that you *will* feel pain in labour, it's just really all about managing it and removing the fear of it, then I think doing a hypnobirthing class would be just as benefical as CalmBirth. I wanted to do a CalmBirth class but decided it was too expensive, so am doing hypnobirthing CDs at home and I really like it so far

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is definitely a difference between the two. I honestly can't remember what they are. I did a calmbirth course for my first baby & am currently expecting my second. I really loved the course & it's especially good if you want a fabulous natural birth! On the day our son was born when I was in labour, I think I was just in so much shock about the labour I didn't get to really put it into practice!! My husband tried so much to help me do it & I tried but I was so overwhelmed with everything! But I LOVED using it in the weeks before labour too. It really helped me to relax & it really worked with easing pain I had during late pregnancy. I would highly recommend it! Hopefully I will be able to use it in full for this next labour since it won't be as much of a shock! Hope that helps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lesley76 View Post
    Hi Newbie

I'm not to sure what the difference is but I am doing Hypnobirthing with Emma from Blissful birth. I am half way through the course and it is fantastic. The only thing is that she is up in Butler...It's great for me as I live North. I don't think you should have to fly east to do a course.
    Good luck
    I can second Emma. She is AMAZING. She was our Doula as well at our birth and we had the most amazing birth experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie31 View Post
    Hi everyone, can someone please explain to me the difference between calmbirthing and hypnobirthing? I live in Perth and there are no calmbirth practitioners, but a few hypnobirth ones. I am trying to decide whether it's worth flying to Melbourne or Adelaide to attend a calmbirth course.

Our instructor explained it to us as hypnobirthing is about encouraging you to put your faith in the process and strength of hypnosis, whereas calmbirth helps you to understand and trust your own body and its natural mechanisms for dealing with birth. A big part of it is about the cycle of fear/tension/pain and the physiology behind it, ways to work with the process your body's going through rather than against it. I'd heard previously that calmbirthing was just an AU interpretation of hypnobirthing. Nuh uh. As mentioned by PP, Calmbirth acknowledges that most people experience pain - there is still a tendency to refer to contractions as "surges" or "sensations" but we also looked at surveys taken after birth about how manageable women who had done CB training had found the pain.

For me the understanding of the physiology and hormones was as valuable as the relaxation - and in its own way I think that understanding, and understanding of how important it was to keep up the oxygen levels and therefore keep breathing etc, did as much to relax me as any visualisation.

Would depend a lot on your instructor, but based on our experience I'd highly recommend a Calmbirth course. Was as, if not more, valuable for my partner who prior to the course viewed birth as a medical emergency waiting to happen. He came out over-confident, if anything!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ManaB For This Useful Post:

Minkie  (09-06-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm, what I took from my hypnobirthing course was that our bodies are designed to birth, that is also what the affirmation CDs say.

I was thought breathing and some self hypnosis techniques but mostly it was a lot of "your body was made to do this". Contractions were referred to as surges.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ManaB, I have just completed a hypnobirthing course and we learnt pretty much what you described calmbirthing as. Then again, my hb instructor is also a qualified midwife so her approach was slightly different and based on her experiences.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheCatsMeow For This Useful Post:

ManaB  (04-06-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess it depends on your instructor then!
    It does sound like there's quite a bit of variation across both "schools" of birth prep. Invaluable either way, especially if you get to learn about all the physiology etc as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely - what convinced me was the physiology side of things, and learning about the parasympathetic vs sympathetic nervous system (eg. flight fight etc) and how adrenaline affects our bodies.... and the like. I don't think I would buy into it if it was just about visualisations, as not many people are good at visualising. Knowing that staying relaxed can help the release of endorphins and let the uterus do its thing under optimal circumstances is a winner for me.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Calmbirth Blue Mountains NSW

Hi everyone i am a Calmbirth practitioner in the beautiful blue mountains NSW, anyone interested in more information please feel free to jump on my website or e-mail me =) Calmbirth is such a fantastic way to prepare for birth, and im not just saying that as a registered practitioner but as a mother who has had beautiful and enjoyable experiences from learning to go with the process!
    Xo Jacquie
    jacquie@holisticfamilysupport.com.au
    HOLISTIC FAMILY SUPPORT Blue Mountains