+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for everyone's comments I really do want to do it. I told DH I would pay for the course and just hope he doesn't ask how much (he will have a fit!). Although I am sure once he does the course with me he will see the value, its just convincing him its worth it. He's happy to come do the course with me (even if it is a whole weekend!) so I'm half way there. Will keep reading other's stories in the meantime.

BTW Made the mistake of trying to explain it to my mum, who laughed at me and said something like 'trust me, you can do all the reading you like and all the preparation you want but when the day comes it will all go out the window love'!!! These kind of comments make me SO ANGRY! Have since decided I'm not telling anyone we are doing the course.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Everyone has made those comments to me too!!! Like EVERYONE!!! Or they just roll their eyes. You have to ignore them so that you can stay positive and focussed. It really helps having a partner who is so on board when people are like that. Now i just tell people that i did it so i can stay calm, focussed and not stress out.... which is true, but i just water it down a fair bit to avoid the negativity.

Good luck, i really enjoyed the course!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sunnygirl79

God I am angry just reading your post about how people have ridiculed your ideas - I too told my mother about my calmbirth hopes and she laughed at me with the response "the best of luck with that one!" It upset me so much I didnt speak to her untill just before the baby arrived. And I took great pleasure in letting her know that our labour was exactley what we hoped.

Regardless of whether or not you do a calm birth class remember you are designed to be able to have a baby - the "contractions" are your muscles working with your baby to be born - the body naturally opens up to let the baby out. Yo need to remain calm and if you can connect with your baby at every contraction - picture him/her in your mind talk to him/her - it helps!

I am due no 2 in September and I am so much more excited and relaxed about this birth as I know I can do it!

You dont need luck - You just need to believe in yourself!

Thanks
    Reviews
    You'll get those comments a lot, so be prepared mentally for how you respond! At first, it made me doubt what I was doing and I thought may be I was the crazy person... but now I know who's crazy for not doing everything they can to have a calm and easy birth!!

Just remember that what will make you different from all the naysayers is that you will have done the practice leading up until birth, you will have all the tried-and-tested techniques completely mastered, and you will go into that birth with a firm belief that you CAN do it and that this is going to be an amazing experience.

It's just like if you were about to do a marathon... of course someone who has just run around the block a few times is going to struggle on that marathon, but you've done the training and you're ready for it!!

Hang in there!

Brigit

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wanted a natural drug free 'calm' birth and gave birth on Christmas Day, I went through 14 hours of labour with a house full of in laws who managed to ignore me! WTF I know... but i got through it, I figure that if I can do that then giving birth in a calm and serene environment must be nice and VERY achievable!

I think Hypnobirthing by Marie Mongan (I think..... or something like that) was my saving grace as it taught me to just go within myself and find the strength to breathe and concentrate on what i was doing.

I didn't do a course - I didn't think it was necessary for me last time but maybe this time, due for baby 2 in october...

Good luck girls and just trust your instincts

Guest Guest
    I had my vbac 2 weeks ago and all the preparation of my hypnobirthing meditations during labour payed off. I had a 6 he labour, I was zoned out for most of it with my iPod on, when I turned it off to move around my doula had some relaxation music on the iPod dock, this is good to take with you!
    Without this preparation, there is no way I would have got through it drug free and I really think by staying calm it helped me dilate quicker.
    People can roll their eyes but it's out of ignorance, meditation helps the body relax it's well known, so ofcourse it will help lessen the pain in labour.
    Goodluck

Guest Guest
    Ants I did the Marie mongan meditations, I really enjoyed those

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi everyone,

I havent read all the thread but have seen some great, inspiring stories on here.

I havent done the course and cant really afford it, but have borrowed the Calmbirth CDs and book from a friend. I have to admit that I was hoping for a bit more on instruction on *how* to breathe or use visualisation through the surges/waves etc. It all seems to be "your body will know what to do", or picturing a relaxed place etc, but I find it hard to focus on the CDs. TBH they seem to ramble, and so I dont feel all that reassured! Perhaps it is seeping in subliminally - I hope so!

To those of you whove done the Mongan method as well as Calmbirth, is the MM any more focused? I.e., is there a bit more instruction on the "how" aspect?

TIA!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm doing the hypnobirthing course and find Marie Mongan does tell you in the book how to practise the breathing techniques. I think it's helped me to do classes to just improve on my breathing, but I pretty much had it right before attending. The only bit that I'm confused about is the J-breathing for pushing baby out, but the sleep breathing (between contractions) and the surge breathing (during a contraction) makes a lot of sense. When she explains the physiology behind why you should breathe that way it turned a light bulb on in my head lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also found the J breath or Birth Breath a bit confusing... until recently! I imagine it now as a continual breath in, and out and in again. As I breathe out, I am visualising nudging the baby down - so, not doing just the breathing, but also a very gentle nudge / push.

The best place to practice is when you're going to the toilet. I use every opportunity now!! I Birth Breathe while I gently nudge. You can also get an idea of what it's like not to push or nudge at all, or what it's like to hold your breath and really push.

Hope this helps!

Brigit