+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinnyswife View Post
    We are currently doing classes with Emma, she is gorgeous & we loving it, we have only done the intro course! and took away so much.. and dh has got right into it!
    Our first proper class is tomorrow night, cant wait!!!!
    Yay, I can't recommend her classes enough. We learnt so much from them!

Take some food and drink with you, they can be pretty intense - but then we did the two classes in two days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello,

I used the hypnobirthing technique for my first birth and successfully got through a 19 hour labour with no drugs at all! My midwives commented on what a calm and happy birth it was and were grateful to have been a part of it. I am hoping to use it again for my second birth, and am soon to take the practitioner course so that I can teach others.

For me, the key to success is practising daily leading up to the birth. It is so important that it becomes part of your subconscious and that you truly believe that you can do it.

Overall, I highly recommend it - who wouldn't want a calm and happy birth?!

Brigit

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did a Calmbirthing course with my Husband when we were expecting our daughter.

We went down to Bowral (NSW Southern Highlands) for ours and it was amazing. I had a great pregnancy and our daughter was born naturally after a one hour labour.

I would strongly suggest anyone who is expecting does a Calmbirthing course. It's a nice weekend away with your Husband and I have never met anyone who was sorry they did one. From memory, I think ours was about $495.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default My CalmBirth experience

Our due date was 1st August - it came and went - much to our disappointment! I had been getting Braxton Hicks for some time and felt ready. On Thursday 5-8-10 we had a routine appointment at RPA - I attended our Doula for accupuncture prior to the checkup. We came home with nothing to report. At approximatley 3pm that day I was just walking down the hall when I hear a pop and there was a gush of fluid everywhere! It was a funny feeling and although it happened at home it was a Hollywood Moment! DH was home and we both became immediatley excited. At this stage I started using Calm Birth breathing techniques - just to keep me very Calm and not over excited! We rang RPA and they told us that we should come in on Friday morning for a CTG. At about 6pm Thursday evening I started having waves - they were irregular ranging from 1 hour to 20 minutes apart - but strong enough. This continued through the night and I slept between waves. With each wave I would move around and repeat some mantras in my head (This is my body working to bring down the baby/ This is bottom of Heartbreak Hill in City2Surf etc...) all the while being concious to breathe through my nose and to breathe deeply. DH would remind me to loosen my shoulders and mouth. We went to RPA Friday Morning and had the CTG which was normal. RPA said go home rest up and we will see you tomorrow for CTG again - They never mentioned intervention of which I was glad! We came home and the waves started to intensify - at about 6pm on Friday evening I was in 1st Phase of Labour waves were much closer together and I really had to start concentrating on Calm Breath. I laboured where ever I could in the house - on a gym ball, on all fours, and spent a lot of time on the toilet which was most comfortable. As the waves intensified I was nauseous and vomiting with each wave and although it was difficult to remain calm experiencing this I somehow did, breathing deeply at the start and returning to breathing deeply at the end - all the time preparing for the next wave. At 7am on Saturday 7/08/10 I rang RPA and explained that I was experiencing waves about 10mins apart but that I was feeling weak due to being sick - they said come ahead in despite the waves still being too far apart. In the car the waves stopped! I was at my calmest somehow focusing on the fact that the end was near and this baby was coming soon. I closed my eyes for the 45 minute journey to hospital and just concentrated on rythemic breaths. We got to RPA and I had a significant wave - making up for all the ones I didnt have in the car! We met the midwife and she asked would I like her to check and see how dilated I was - warning me not to be dissappointed if I was only a centimetre or 2. I agreed as I knew I needed some encouragement that the previous 40 hours were not in vain! She checked and I was 5cms dilated, the midwife gave me injection to stop the vomiting and advised me to rehydrate asap - We called our Doula and we familiarised ourselves with the birth suite- I had a shower which was soothing and then I tried the bath - it was too restrictive for me as I was coping well when moving about. Our Doula arrived and done some acupressure, whilst DH fed me ice chips and gatorade. At 10 am the midwife came to check and she said I was 9.5 cms but there was a slight lip which was stopping the baby moving down - she told me on the next wave she would work with me to move it back - and she did. I was ready to push! The midwife advise that although I was ready to push not to push untill I felt the urge. AT about 11am I felt the urge to push - I thought the waves would be stronger at the pushing stage but they were not - i felt more pressure than waves. The midwife was fantastic guiding me where to push and with positioning. We pushed in many different positions but in the end I was on my back semireclined on a bean bag! I was quite weak and with the aide of DH and our Doula to support my legs, our midwife told me the head was coming with the next wave- I felt no pain - my body just opened up to let her out, the cord was wrapped around her neck once and the midwife released it and told me to put my hands down - Scarlett was born into my hands at 1:16pm, and i brought her up to my chest - It was the most special beautiful moment of my life. DH cut the cord and we sat and cuddled. My placenta delivered within minutes nataurally and our Doula took it as we had decided to have pills made from the placenta. I had no tearing and we were settled on the bed within minutes! Scarlett started bopping around on my chest within minutes - she was very alert and looking around etc.The midwife was fantastic - encouraging at all times and when the going got tough she would not let me give in. We stayed at the Birth Centre for a few hours and then moved up to the post natal ward. It was a magical wonderful fulfilling experience, and the techniques and CalmBirth approach was invaluable to us achieving a natural wonderful delivery!

I am pregnant again and DD 1 is only 6 months - Im already practicing my breathing for the next labour which I really hope goes as well as the first. I hope this helps!

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to crunchie For This Useful Post:

brisvegasmum  (22-09-2012),Explora  (28-09-2014),Ruby_Tuesday15  (19-04-2011),Sarelou  (13-07-2012),ScubaGal  (17-04-2015),sunnygirl79  (01-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Calmbirth - worth the expense?

We are due to have our first bub in early July and I have heard a lot of good things about Calmbirth. My SIL gave me her folder of stuff from when she did the course and I sent an enquiry to find out about dates and cost involved. Turns out it will set us back $410 (this includes weekend course, books, cds, etc).
    I had more like $300 in mind and $400 sounds like a lot to me. I guess I am wandering who has done it, how much did it cost you (we are located in Melbourne, looking at lotus calm birth) and was it really worth the money? I know I will have a hard time convincing DH to part with the $ and I'm not sure how he will go with all the calm breathing relaxation stuff...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    BTW Thank you Crunchie it is so good to read a story like this about a first baby. So many of the stories I've read are for second or third babies so its good to know it can work for the first time too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Sunnygirl.

We paid $550 in Canberra for a 2 day intensive, but our instructor has a pay-what-you-can and/or instalment policy to ensure that those who want to do it but can't afford the full cost don't miss out.

For us it was very much worth it. For me it was less the relaxation and more the information about physiology and hormones etc, and the breathing techniques and tricks (loose lips on your face = loose lips down below etc) that were really helpful.

Was incredibly beneficial for my partner too, who had until then viewed birth as a medical emergency waiting to happen. He actually got more from the relaxation than I did - and wanted to find recordings of guided relaxation to use afterwards for himself! Gave him the confidence to support me in going for as intervention-free birth as possible (his previous experience of such things through family history etc involved a lot of elective ceasars, complications and a stillbirth).

I have no doubt it would depend a lot on your instructor though. I'd suggest seeking feedback on the particular instructor you're looking at - if our course had been run by some one else I'd say it would not have worked nearly as well for either of us.

Good luck.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ManaB For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (09-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Definitely worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    We are due to have our first bub in early July and I have heard a lot of good things about Calmbirth...Turns out it will set us back $410 (this includes weekend course, books, cds, etc).
    Hi there,
    I know it feels like a lot of money but I cannot even begin to tell you how much value you will receive from it. Having done the hypnobirthing training, I benefited immensely... a drug-free, natural birth; a calm and relaxing pregnancy; a deeper connection with my baby and my husband; relaxation techniques for pregnancy, birth and beyond; a firmly held belief that I could birth naturally... and so many more!
    For your husband, he will see how important his role is in birthing the baby, particularly around being your 'brain' during the birth and keeping you focused on relaxing and birthing. He will also start to feel more responsibility as a father and will begin to connect with baby.
    I can't recommend it enough! I know it seems like a lot but it really, really is worth it!!
    Brigit

11. The Following User Says Thank You to brigit For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (09-03-2011)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I *really* want to do the Calmbirth course, and now I want to do it even more!! I'm crossing fingers I can get DP to fork out the money and come with... I think he will be a little sceptical...

For some reason I really like the look of Melbourne Calmbirth with Felicity Cupitt but haven't heard of anyone who has been to her course - anyone heard of her or done her course at all??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi changethestars,

My DH and I have done one of two days of the calmbirth course so far with Felicity Cuppitt.

My DH was also skeptical of what it has to offer, but has come out after just one day feeling more in control. As for me, everything I've read in books and online is explained simply in this course and confirmed everything that I believe in. I personally think it is fantastic for me. But I'm not sure it is for everyone. I'm looking forward to day 2 on Sunday.