+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Child Health Nurses etc..

Hi
    I live in WA and I was wondering what the laws are on the CHN's. My DD is due in Nov and I am concerned about who has the right to judge the decisions my DH and I make.
    Do we have to take our babies to the CHN's or anyone else? Why? How do they know if we don't go?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks Roxi
    PS: Love the threads and advice.... this is helping me heaps - have lots of support from friends and family but sometimes they really say things that make you cry or want to kill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    you dont have to go to a CHN if you dont want to, all the checks that they do can be done by your local GP.

the only people who will "judge" your bring up of a baby is Family and Youth Services (called something else now)... and they will only come to you if someone has reported that you are "neglecting" your baby, half the times these reports are crap and revenge on the parents from someone nasty. I had this done to me.

Even these people have to follow procedures so no-one will come and take you baby away.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I was given the impression that you had to go to the health nurse. And whether or not they are allowed to judge the way you raise your child, they can and will. I have found that it is just easier to go along with whatever they are saying is "right" for my child and go back to my business when i leave

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I really enjoy seeing my MCHN She is so lovely and has never judged me at all. She loves all the babies and toddlers and is a delight to chat to and a great source of information when i need it.
    Perhaps you will feel the same way about yours?
    I would go along and just see how you feel, if you are not comfortable then stop going....

Good luck with your bub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No you definitely don't have to go to child health nurses. You are the parent, you decide what is best for your baby not the CHN. Whether you use them or not is stricly your choice. Some CHNs can be great. Very supportive, able to provide lots of good advice and identify if there are any problems with baby. Others can be rude, opinionated, bossy and undermine your confidence as a parent.

Through the CHN you may be able to hook up with a mother's group which can be really good. They are a bunch of mother's with babies the same age and you can exchange information and hear speakers for example about settling techniques. Often these mothers group continue to meet to form an informal playgroup so this can be really valuable.

There are lots of other options for advice if you need it, the GP, Australian Breastfeeding Association, lactation consultants, Chemists often provide a midwife to weigh your baby on certain days of course this forum. I guess my advice is give your CHN a try she may be one of the great ones.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Not impressed with CHN's

Hi Roxy,

I just thought I would let you know my experiences with CHN's. You don't have to go in to see them. I only go in there to get my DD weighed every month. I don't bother asking them questions anymore because when I was going fortnightly when DD was younger they told me to start giving her morning and afternoon teas to try to boost up her weight. Then the very next visit I made 2 weeks later, after they weighed her they asked what meals she was having. They then told me NOT to give her morning and afternoon tea because it leads to bad habits later in life. I had the same woman both times. Another time I went in, DD had been sick the previous day and I had made an appointment with the GP. When the CHN asked how she was going and I explained the previous days vomiting, she turned around and told me what I should and shouldn't do. After I mentioned that I was going off to the GP that afternoon, she turned around and said "well, they will only tell you what I've just told you - and we're free!". As with everything, you get good CHN's and bad CHN's. I think I've just been unlucky! As long as you have your GP keep regular checks on bubs growth and weight, you should be fine. Besides, they do all that when you go in for immunisations anyway. And the way I see it, they have absolutely no right to judge how you and your hubby raise your child - no-one has! Do what works for you and your baby. Hope this helps you somewhat, good luck with it all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    you don't have to go if you don't want to, CHNs are free service run by the govt, there's no law or obligations that you HAVE to go there, this service is to help new mums/mums with new bub/s to settle in, which can be handy esp if u new to the area they have broad knowledge about the area.

you might not like their advices, and thats ok you don't need to use them, but remember these people are professional plus mostly with experiences, so do try or don't this entirely up to you

but for serious stuff or medical stuff your GP is the one you should go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumofethan
    you dont have to go to a CHN if you dont want to, all the checks that they do can be done by your local GP.

the only people who will "judge" your bring up of a baby is Family and Youth Services (called something else now)... and they will only come to you if someone has reported that you are "neglecting" your baby, half the times these reports are crap and revenge on the parents from someone nasty. I had this done to me.

Even these people have to follow procedures so no-one will come and take you baby away.
    I had it done to me as well, I have my suspitions (sp) that it was the CHN I went to as I didn't like her and when she asked me for another appointment I said I didn't want one and said I old take Wyatt to his GP instead.

It is entirely up to you if you want to go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As the others have said you don't have to go to a CHN. Some are great some are not so good. Mine is great and picked up on a serious problem my son had when he was 3 weeks old. Look around CHN can also be found in chemists as well as health centres so it is often worth checking a few out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm one of the lucky few, because my CHN is great. They do exist and if you're not happy with the one that is closest to you, you can try the one in the next suburb over. Or if that's not an option, just nod and smile at everything she says and do your own thing anyway! As long as bub is putting on weight and is safe, no-one can have any legitimate concerns.