+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default ttc but no af since coming off pill...

hi everyone,

ok so hubby and i started trying 2 weeks ago...only issue is that i went off the pill mid Jan and still have not had a period...its the middle of april! so its been 3 months with nothing...funny thing is, i get all the symptoms (bloating, break outs) but no bleeding...

its frustrating because we have been trying, but are unsure if it will even work and if i will ever have a normal af again

its horrible and i want to bang my head against a brick wall!

i have done several pregnancy tests and all negative!

can someone shed some light and let me know if they have been in the same situation?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi clucky1 , unfortunately I can't offer you any help, other than I am almost EXACTLY the same boat as you ... I stopped taking the pill in mid-January and am still waiting for AF to show up. I have been sure that AF is about to show up a few times as I've had tiredness, moodiness, tummy cramps ... but then nothing! - sooooo frustrating! Oh, and I've also done a few HPTs but all BFN. I went to the doctor and she wasn't very friendly or helpful - she told me it is very normal to take up to 6 months for AF to start after coming off the pill, so I am just waiting it out until then.

Sorry I can't be more help, but I wanted to let you know you're not alone

Anyone out there with some advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey ladies!

I went off the pill at the start of Oct 08 and had one period in Dec 08- then nothing!!!

I saw 2 doctors asking if they could suggest something- both told me to wait it out as things take a while to return to normal after a period while your body tries to find it's natural cycle.

THAT drove me crazy- and I drove straight to a chemist and brought some Vitex 1000 after reading about people who had had success regulating their cycle with it. It is recommended that you start taking it at the start of your cycle- as it may delay the onset of a period- but I was pretty sure my period wasn't coming anytime soon so I started mid-cycle.

A week after I started to take it it appears as though I ovulated- although I didn't realise at the time! I got a that cycle- after conceiving on cycle day 67 or something crazy!!!

I'm not saying it will work for everyone- but it definately helped me relax and feel like I had control of my cycle after all the annoying waiting! They say it is slow working and takes up to 3 months to start working- but there seem to be a few women around on forums who've had it work much faster! Do some research- you might get lucky too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks clarierose for your support - its nice to know there is someone else out there like me!

MrsFingersCrossed - i started taking vitex a while back, but stopped after a couple of weeks because i heard it can actually make you miscarry if you are pregnant...i also have a negative rhesus factor which makes things more complex, so i stopped because i did not want to increase my chances of miscarriage more than what they are...

this totally sucks.

i cant afford to just hang about for a year until af decides its time...how annoying....

maybe be i should try it again...not sure!

does anyone else have good experiences to share with vitex?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey again,

My understanding is that Vitex doesn't make you miscarry- in fact it can actually help bub stick by keeping progesterone levels in check. (Many countries actually prescribe progestrone to help pregnancies stick). However, like most things- when you stop taking them cold turkey your levels may drop suddenly and that would place you at a risk of miscarriage. I was taking 1 1000mg tablet a day and when I got my , dropped to 1 every 2nd day for a week before stopping completely. My Dr wasn't concerned in the slightest when I told him.

Do what you feel comfortable with- and do search for vitex (also called agnus castus or chaste berry) on a couple of pregnancy sites- like I said- I'm not 100% sure it made me O after so long or if I o'd because I felt more relaxed and in control- either way- i've made it safely to 12 weeks with not one bit of spotting!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi

I went off the pill in November 08 in the hope of TTC #2

Got to March 09 and still no AF so I started taking Black Cohosh and Vitex.

1st April AF arrived, lasted the usual length and today after doing an ovulation test it has come up Postive so we will be TTC our next baby over the next couple of days (yay for us!!)

Due to ovulating I have stopped the Vitex and Black Cohosh. If AF arrives next month I will continue taking it again until I do fall pregnant.

Good luck!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for the advice and info...i just got back from the chemist...i bought a bottle of vitex...im desperate to feel "normal"...

i guess its a waiting game now, so we will see....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by hailsntwang View Post
    Hi

I went off the pill in November 08 in the hope of TTC #2

Got to March 09 and still no AF so I started taking Black Cohosh and Vitex.

1st April AF arrived, lasted the usual length and today after doing an ovulation test it has come up Postive so we will be TTC our next baby over the next couple of days (yay for us!!)

Due to ovulating I have stopped the Vitex and Black Cohosh. If AF arrives next month I will continue taking it again until I do fall pregnant.

Good luck!!!
    I realise this is a super old thread, but could you tell me about taken black cohosh if you remember back that far?? I've just started taking it and wanted to know some dosages etc.