+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Where did you have your GREAT epidural experience?

I had a fantastic epidural 3 years ago overseas when my Ds was born. Now I'm 6 weeks pg again and want to find an Australian hospital that can give me something similar (hopefully better).

I'm not interested in any negative comments or bad experiences, yes I'm sure there are incompetent anesthetists out there, those are not the ones I want to find.

I want to know which Melbourne hospital and if possible which anesthetist, gave you a great epidural.

At the moment i'm thinking Frances Perry House or maybe St Vincents so I'm especially interested in those 2.

IMHO I'd rather choose an anesthetist and take potluck on the OB, I think the anesthetist is way more important to the experience than the OB unless you have pg complications.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my DD & DS at Mercy in Heidleberg. Both times the eppidual was given as soon as requested and was done well and worked first time. The problem is that you will allways get who is on call, but i have not had any problems.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a fabulous epidural but can't help you because it was in Brisbane .

megaminz is offline Hmmm.....is this conclusive proof I ask????
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lukaelmo View Post
    I had a fabulous epidural but can't help you because it was in Brisbane .
    me too!! for anyone looking in Bris MMH Public mine was sensational!! And it was done as part of an emergency c-sect so done under pressure with me in full on labour

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I've also had good epidurals at the Wesley in Brisbane for my VBs . But sorry OP, you didn't want to travel THAT far, did you?

Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    LOL I'm a Sunshine Coast girl who went to UQ and lived in Brisvegas for 10 years.

Clearly I need to go "home" "=)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I had a epi for an emergency c-section. I felt my anesthetists was the only person who really listen to me during my whole messed up labour.

I asked for a general because I was sooooo afraid of the epi when they told me I needed a c-section - and even though I had a full on contraction as they gave me the epi, I still felt really safe and calm with the whole surgery team.

I know its not a 'great' overall birth story, but the epidural was easily the high light! (plus, after nearly 3 days in labour, seriously WHAT A RELIEF!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

I had a magnificent walking epi 4 years ago when I had my DS, but it was at the Freemason's (another private Melb hospital) . Not sure who the doctor was, I just got who ever was on call, as it was about 6.30pm on a Saturday evening that I required it. None the less it was fabulous and I am keen to have another one (if needed) for DB due at the end of June. I am sure that the group he belonged to would probably also service St Vincent's. I happened to stumble across the bill for it the other day and considering what day and time it was done, it was very reasonably priced ..... having said that I would have happily paid ANYTHING for one!

I didn;t even have to ask for one ..... I had let the midwives know that I was quite keen to have one IF in their opinion (and mine) I came to the point that I needed one. I must have eventually reached that point and one of my midwives simply said ..... "I think it is time for that epidural". All I could do was nod, but I really did feel like giving her a great big kiss .

Truely it was a great experience, I have a sister who is a nurse and is totally against them and tried to talk me out of one. Luckily I listened but then made up my own mind as DS ended up being a forceps delivery. I will not hesitate to have another this time around.

Hope this helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mum_I'm_hungry View Post
    My husband does the best ones of course (had to write that -- he is staring over my shoulder -- but, yep, sorry, Brissie again...), but I can't see how you're going to be able to choose a particular anaesthetist, even if you're going private. Your obstetrician won't use the same person each time, but someone from a particular group. He/she will have his/her favourite/s, but at 3am, you get whoever is on call.

That said, if you've had a good epidural before, chances are it will go well again this time. I would definitely go private, though, if you're looking for the ultimate epidural experience. Kind of key to get someone fully qualified...
    lol! I used to live next door to an anaesthetist in Brissy! He was about 50 so I'm sure it wasn't your DH but he did my aunt's epidural and she was in love with him. Used to blow kisses through the door after she came into our house.

MummyMcBeal thanks, oh and I know you can't choose your Dr (wish you could, like I said - most OBs could do the same job but I feel like a good anesthetist would make more differnce to me!). But some "teams" are also better than others and if a really good senior anaesthetist is in a group they tend to attract the better younger ones, or have the power to choose better registrars. So knowing a hospital has a good one is some kind of indicator the team will be ok KWIM? Anyway I've found that works for other specialties in medicine at least and my family is chock full of Drs (unfortunately no anesthetists).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xkwzit View Post
    I've also had good epidurals at the Wesley in Brisbane for my VBs . But sorry OP, you didn't want to travel THAT far, did you?

Cheers
    im half way in syd so she can just use mine if bris is too far

i had a great experience. i had the epi for DD1, i got it put in at around 26-28 hours (cant remember exactly, hours kinda seemed like days and also seconds when i think back ) and it was instant relief. i actually forgot it was in and it made me so relaxed i thought i was right as rain, i decided i wanted to get up and walk to the loo.....i thought it was a little odd that the nurse went and got someone to see if i could and abotu 6 people walked through the door including the anesthetist. the convo went a little something like
    "you need to go to the toilet"
    "yes"
    "do you feel ok"
    "yes"
    "do you think you will be ok to go to the toilet"
    "yes"
    "can you walk"
    "duh, yeah"
    "can you feel your legs"
    "hmmmm.....nope"

if i ever have anything that an epi is an option again i think i will be happy to go with it, while i don't 'like' the thought the dangers attached i don't feel uncomfortable having them.
    DD2 i had an elective c/s but went for a spinal.