ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Caffeine / Nail Polish and Nail Polish Remover

Hi,

As we are going to start TTC #1 in the next couple of months, I thought it best to stop drinking coffee - at the moment I have two cups of instant coffee a day both before lunch.

Has anyone continued / stopped drinking coffee whilst TTC and during and after pregnancy and what have been your experiences?

On another note, is using nail polish and nail polish remover bad?

Sorry, I know 2 completely random questions, but I just thought of them, but any comments are greatly appreciated...

Thanx.

babylove81

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Good Luck on your TTC journey

I have always had one or 2 coffees a day normally and while preg or BF I have just one in the morning and try to stay away from other caffeine in my diet.

Personally, I seldom do my nails with polish. Usually just a bit on my toes, but while pg I usually don't even do it on my toes.

These are all just personal choices. Many women have normal healthy kids and use polish all the time and drink plenty of caffeine. It is all up to you and what you are comfortable with...ask your GP next time you see them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanx pkbub,

It is very early stages for us, I am going to visit my GP next week to have a chat, however I have been thinking about babies for a very long time - lol.

I think I would die without my coffee, but it is something I am willing to give up.

As for the nail painting, well I hardly ever paint them too, however ATM I am going through a phase of wanting too - lol.

Personally, I think I would be more comfortable not having caffeine and painting nails, but then I think am I taking it too seriously?

I guess I will have a better idea after I talk to my GP.

Thanks heaps.

babylove81

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I drank coffee with dd and still drink coffee with this bub, about 2-3 a day. No problems here moderation is the key.

don't know about the nails, I don't bother with mine, they are feral

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Not sure about nail polish, as I don't use it.

In regards to caffeine, I am 20 weeks pregnant and have been drinking a few coffees a day for most of the pregnancy. My doctor advised that I drink coffee in moderation (i.e.: no more than 3 a day), and keep in mind that other foods and drinks also contain caffeine.

Mind you, at the beginning of my pregnancy I was unable to even smell coffee, let alone drink it, because it made me feel like vomiting There are a few things I was addicted to prior to pregnancy that I have gone completely off of during.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got heaps of comments when I first fell pregnant about not being able to use nail polish when pregnant which I was rather horrifed to hear! I then looked on the internet at the dangers of using nail polish whilst pregnant and found the brands Zoya & OPI to not contain Formaldehyde & Toluene which are meant to be the dangerous ingredients which worked out fine for me as I have about 30 OPI's!

I still painted my nails for a while and the only reason I dont now is coz I cant reach my toes..... Was trying to convince DP the other day though hehe!

As for coffee, I couldnt help you there as I hardly drank it before falling pregnant

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I only ever really have one cup of coffee a day and I thought I would just keep doing that while pg. My body had other ideas. For both pg I went off coffee for the first 4 - 5 months. I would make myself one every day, have one mouthful, but it just tasted horrible.

I'd not ever heard anything about nail polish and pg - I kept painting my nails, being none the wiser. You'd probably want to steer clear of acetone based polish remover though.

Cheers

Sheer Bliss is offline new username time?? this is toooo friggin hard, and NOT Bliss!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I switched to decaf when TTC DD. Then we moved in with my sis for a few weeks waiting for our new house to settle....i started back on full strength cappacino's every day (bicardi breezer's every night) asI thought we had no chance of falling pregnant that month (not the most opportune sleeping conditions and my 2yo nephew next to us). Well, one little swimmer held on for long enough (didn NOT DTD while at sis's house) and i found out i was pregnant the day we moved into our place. So it didn't hinder with us TTC.

Caffine MAY hinder TTC though, and i think the reccomendation is max of 100mg caffine in the first trimester (or TTC) and less than 300mg for the rest of the pregnancy - you need to include any coke/chocolate/tea you drink/eat in that too.

Dunno about the nail polish, I rarely use it except on my toes...and I can't reach them now anyway :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't realise i was pg for a while, but had already started to go off coffee. for a mild addict ( at least 3 cups a day... sometimes more), i wondered why i just didn;t feel like having one, then realised bubs obviously didn;t like it. now i have one every now and then, just listen to my body for if i really want it.
    didn't have any probs conceiving on 3+ cups a day though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I do love my cup of coffee and have always had up to 2 per day, whether TTC, pregnant or breastfeeding.
    I didn't notice any adverse effects on myself nor my children, but I believe that most things in moderation are okay.
    I did try to abstain from other caffeinated drinks though whilst pregnant and breastfeeding (like cola, red bull etc).

I did use nail polish and remover during pregnancy, but not all the time, and yes I avoided acetone (mainly because I don't like the stuff).

In fact I tried to use organic products such as food, for cleaning and toiletries and tried to reduce chemical usage (esp in cleaning = fumes).

good luck TTC!