+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 3rd trimester scan accuracy

Hi,
    I was just wondering if anyone had any info on the acutal accuracy of 3rd trimester scans. I know that they are supposed to be more inaccurate than early scans, but would love to read some nice conrete evidence if anyone knows where I can get it.

Cheers in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello!
    Do you mean accuracy in estimating the size of bubs??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, size wise
    I am apparently having the world's largest baby, even though she is measuring less by scan than DS at this stage and noone was concerned then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    .......Try not to worry yourself too much about it....last pregnancy i was told i would have a 8 1/2 pound plus baby but he ended up being 6 lbs 14 ozs..........

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Herchy,

I am sceptical of the accuracy of 3rd trimester scans. I had one last time at 36/37 weeks as I was apparently having the worlds smallest baby...that scan said around 5lb...he was born 2 weeks later: 6lb5oz. I think women all carry diffferently. I am looking very small for dates again this time - it's just me!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a series of scans in my 3rd trimester with DD as she was measuring small on the first scan at around 29/30 weeks she was in the 50th percentile for her growth rate, 33 weeks she dropped to the 30th percentile and at 36 weeks she was at the 20th percentile - she was born via emergency c-sect the next day!! But the scans did positivly show a decline in her rate of growth and they also showed a decrease in amniotic fluid and blood flow thru the placenta the scan however estimated her weight to be a bit heavier than it was I think 6 pound something but she was born 5 pound 5 ounces. My ob ordered the scans as I had the same problem with my first pregnancy although I only had two scans in my third trimester but again it estimated he was in the high end of 6 pounds and he was born 5 pound 4 ounces. Hope this helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a scan at both 32weeks and 36 weeks and bubs was estimated at more than 4kg, so was induced early at 38+4weeks, and bubs was only 3.2kg!

Everyone who performed the scans was saying how big bubs was, I was freaking out! I wish I had read here on BH how often they get them wrong, could have saved myself some worry!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was concerned about the size of my first being big (I felt ssooo heavy!) and the doctor said not to worry - it will be about average (7lbish) but he was 10lb 4oz (4.65kg!) so with DD they kept saying oohh, big baby and I was induced 2 days before my EDD she was 9lb 2 oz (4.15kg) so I'm glad they didn't make me go 10 days over!!

As for the scans, I believe there is a 10% margin of error on 3rd trimester scans so they wouldn't induce me with DD if I wasn't over the 90th percentile.