+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 3 day potty training - not doing nights??? Yes or no

So we are starting tomorrow and I'm really scared about the night times. Being pregnant and the fact that we pnly just got our son to sleep through the nights do you think the 3 day training will work if we dont do night...

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    It's pretty widely accepted that night time toilet training is a different proposition to daytime training, and that a child who has trained during the days may not be dry overnights for quite a while - they're different developmental processes.

When he's having dry nappies overnight, THEN he's ready for undies overnight - until then, you're just going to be changing his sheets, potentially several times overnight. You might as well save the laundry - and your sanity - and just concentrate on the days ATM

Thanks
    Reviews
    So you dont think he will be confused?

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    Nope. Daytime training is the child consciously taking control after a series of physiological developments take place. Night times are a physiological developmental process, rather than a conscious process, if that makes sense. At least, from what I understand

It's not uncommon for children as old as 8 to be wetting the bed at night time, but are clearly toileting by themselves during the day.

I don't think it will confuse him at all - I just think trying to night train him before he's physiologically ready will be distressing for all concerned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son was day toilet trained in the 3 days using that technique. He has been toilet trained for 3mths now. I was still putting a nappy on him at night time, I did no waking him during the night.
    But about 3 weeks ago, he wasn't wetting his nappies at all, oh we did probably have 3 times were he did sorry.
    But last sunday, so a week ago I thought that I would take the risk and just put him in jocks. I made him go to the toilet first, no drinks during the night and well, he has been night toilet trained for a week now and has not had one accident. I do leave the bathroom light on though during the night, last night DS2 woke up to go to the toilet at 3am.

Goodluck with everything, and I hope it all goes well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for you support, the night training does make sense, he is asleep so not really thinking hmmm why do i have nappy on??? Ta

I'm so nervous about starting TT, I want it to work for him and me so then dh can see I'm not an idiot for trying this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hun just remember Patience and Consistancy are the 2 main things that helped me and I am sure they will help you.
    Just try and stay calm with the whole thing, I know that it is easier said then done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are on to night two and the first night wasn't too bad, woke twice wet and then slept till the normal time in the morning.

tonight so far 9.07 we have had one wake up wet. I'm going to go to bed now hoping it will be awhile before waking to change spencer.

How long does it normally take to tt a child at 21 months. We are going pretty hard at it, staying at home 24/7 except a few walks and thats it. pretty much no visitors, no phone calls... SHould I expect days/weeks/months???

I have put away the nappies with hopes of NEVER going back....

I was going to do this until tuesday is that an unreasonable expectation on our family?

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I did this ... day 1 went out which was not ideal, but didnt seem to set us back too much.

Day 2 we only went for walks to the shops etc immediately after going to potty so had no issues (and no accidents)

Day 3 we went out for longer - and she actually did a wee in the toilet at the shops!!!

Have been going just over a week and she is fully toilet trained. (Day time - night time wears pullups).

We went to playgroup yesterday and did have 2 accidents ... but because she was too busy playing. She has been to daycare 2 days (Tues and today) and not had an accident either day.

It is still a bit more effort ... asking regularly etc .... but we can go out without any problems. If I think that we are going somewhere where we will not have easy access to a toilet I will ocasionally put a pullup on her ... but still explain that she has to tell me and we will try and get to a toilet.

So hopefully - by Tuesday - you should be pretty good. (My DD is a bit older than yours though ... dunno if that will make much difference)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well last night went really well, Spencer slept through all the wetness (which I suppose isn't great) he wet at 9, 9.30 and then 11pm from then he slept through till 6am

I think that is great!!!! We have changed som much with his routine and he is doing a great job of adjusting... I'm so glad we are doing nights as well!!!!

Oh and tonight to combat the wetness at night we are going to stop drinks at 4.45 - 5pm instead of the 5.30 with dinner. I hope that works

I'll update in my other thread about the days