ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How long can you go without being induced?

This isnt for a purpose, just curious. I am only 25 weeks, so not thinking about him coming out just yet LOL. And hopefully he comes without induction.

But I was wondering, how long overdue can you be before you HAVE to be induced? I'm not sure who else to ask. My brother was 44 weeks when he was born. And I know thats DANGEROUSLY overdue. Not sure why my mother let it go so far lol. It was 9 years ago though. But he came out fine, just extremely wrinkly and red. But surely they have to induce before then?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i dont know if they ever CAN induce you, they would have to have your permission, the baby is not a life untill it is born just a fetus...legally anyway.
    Im not entirely sure.....

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I've read lots of stories on here about women being induced from 41 weeks. It would depend on where you were giving birth. I would expect most hospitals have a policy about inductions, not that they can force you to have an induction. I know the hospital I have birth in had a 2 week policy, I was 42 weeks when I went into hospital to have James but it wasn't until I was 42w+2 that I actually got induced.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD was induced 18 days over and i had her the following day being 19 days over. She was dry and red but healthy. I wanted to try natural and our hospi on induces on certain days so i went to the first induction day after 42 weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You dont have to be induced at all, bub will just come when he/she is ready
    I know of a mumma on another forum I go on that just had her bub at home at 43wks gestation

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just realised she is also on this forum

Birth story http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...d.php?t=247190

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Most Dr's will start talking about induction at around the 39-40 week mark & will suggest booking you in around 41 weeks, but really, you do what you feel is right.

I have notoriously long cycles, which means that for me, a "normal" gestation (usually 38-42 weeks) would be anything up to about 44+ weeks. I ovulate a lot later than 2 weeks into my cycle and they base your due dates with you ovulating 14 days after the start of your last period. For some reason, this is not something which is taken into account very often.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon2B Mummy16 View Post
    My brother was 44 weeks when he was born. And I know thats DANGEROUSLY overdue.

Dangerously? why doyou think that?
    was your brother born ok (healthy)?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    At my antenatal classes I remember the midwife saying something about if you get to 41 weeks, they like to book you in for an induction when you're 10 days overdue, so 41w+3days, in case they have to cancel that appointment, as they are happy for you to get to 42 weeks before they really want to induce, as there isn't any extra risk until you are over 42 weeks. Sorry, don't know what the risks are once you're past 42 weeks, except the baby being massive, and labour extra painful!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the mater midwifery group and the birth centre in brisbane I know their policies are to let you go to 10 days over, then start monitoring you very closley for failure of the placenta (which can tend to start dying at this stage) and then it's pretty much your call, but they will start getting nervous if you go much more than 14 days over I think.