+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Is it true that you gain the most weight in the third trimester?

I'm 25weeks pregnant and I weighed myself last night - maybe not such a good idea, I got a bit of a shock!

At 14 weeks I was 57kgs (I think I was 55kgs pre-pregnancy, but may have been 57kgs). Now I am 65kgs. So I have gained between 8 and 10kgs so far, and I still have 15 weeks to go. I am a bit concerned as I have read/heard somewhere that most of the pregnancy weight is gained in the third trimester.

My BMI was 19-20, so I know technically I could gain up to 18kg. I was hoping for not more than 13-14kgs. Is it possible that I will only gain 3-4more kgs for the rest of the pregnancy?

I don't think I look 'fat', so I don't know where the weight has gone to?

Sorry about the . I guess I needed to have a little vent... Anyone answer my question? I googled but couldn't come up with anything, just averages for total weight gain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With all my pregnancies I have put on weight mostly in the 1st and 2nd trimester, and very little in the third trimester as I just couldn't fit much food in. My tummy grew bigger but my weight stayed basically the same. I could even see my face and limbs get thinner. My babies have been 8pound8 and 8pound10 so nice and healthy. On average I put on about 11-13kg each pregnancy. Every body is different, so try not to stress. Easier said than done I know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It was for me!!

At 22 weeks I had gained 3 kilos, but by 38 weeks and 4 days when I gave birth, I'd gained another 15 kilos.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started at 60.5kgs.
    At 13 weeks I'd gained 2kgs.
    At 29 weeks I'd gained 13kgs
    At 40 weeks I'd gained 20kgs
    Bubs was 4kgs
    3 months after his birth I still have 4.5kgs to lose.

BUT..... everybody is different

Good luck to you

simba6 is offline Always bring your own sunshine! :-D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi lukie - i finally weighed myself today for the first time since i was 9 weeks pregnant, i am now nearly 25 weeks and have put on exactly 7kgs.
    With my first daughter,between 28 and 38 weeks when i had my girl i only put on another 3kg i had a look at her yellow card today just to compare.

Sim

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Your body will do what it's meant to. Don't try and restrict yourself to 13 or 14 kg put on, if it needs the 18 or more kgs. Remember the fat is there for a reason, it's to protect you and feed your baby at the end.

I put on maybe a kg in the first trimester, and about 2kg a week in the last few weeks last time, and to be honest I haven't been game to weigh myself for a week or two this time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    First tri I lost weight.
    14-20 weeks I put that weight back on.
    20-38/4 I put on 15 kgs - well could've been more I stopped weighing myself when I got to that point about a week before I gave birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lukie, I was wondering the exact same thing! At 25 weeks, last week, I was 64.5 kg, from about 54.5kg at 9 weeks! I was shocked as I am still wearing the same jeans that I was pre-pregnancy and while I have put on a bit of overall weight, I don't think I look different except for my tummy which seems huge! (and boobs!)

So I have convinced myself that my body is just doing what it needs to do - I am not eating any more than I was pre-pregnancy (maybe some more fruit as snacks) so I think it is just meant to be...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey

I have put on 10 kgs and am 32 weeks, havent put on much for the last few weeks as I just eat small snacks and small meals. Its true about running out of room in your tummy! Hubby made bacon and eggs this morning and I could barely fit 1 egg a piece of toast & a piece of bacon.

In saying all that, I dont feel like I've put on 10 kg (which seems like a LOT of weight to me!) so I guess its baby, fluids, blood and boobs! I think all you can do is eat sensibly, exercise responsibly and look after yourself. I was shocked when I looked back at DS records to see I put on 16 kg (13 years ago) as I was back in size 8 jeans within days of him being born .

Try not to worry too much about it, remember the baby gains a fair bit of fat in the last trimester, it needs to in order to be healthy.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks girls. I feel a little better now.

qtkiwi and dbdb- I feel just that way- I can't see where the weight has gone, except my belly and my boobies! My belly is getting pretty huge now, and my breasts feel sooo full.

litttlefish- sound advice, I will try to remember my body knows what to do. I certainly haven't been doing anything differently- I feel hungrier at different times of day, but it's not as if I eat non-stop...

Thanks everyone else for your replies