+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Children don't make you happy, says expert who doesn't have any

Hmm i wonder how this guy can be an 'expert' on this subject if he doesn't have any kids himself?? I think the happiness of things such as the first steps, smiles etc does outweigh any unhappiness about chores, unlike what this guy is saying..

Children don't make you happy, says expert who doesn't have any

Having children doesn't make people happy, according to an expert who doesn't actually have any himself.
    Last Updated: 11:26AM GMT 20 Mar 2009

Social scientist Dr Nattavudh Powdthavee said there was "almost zero association" between having children and happiness.
    He said: "In a recent study of British adults, for example, we found that parents and non-parents reported the same levels of life satisfaction."

Dr Powdthavee, from the University of York, said most parents remember milestones like a first smile, and think these rewards more than compensate them for the challenging task of raising children.
    But any small bursts of happiness are cancelled out by the day-to-day chores of having a family, he said in the latest issue of The Psychologist, the magazine of The British Psychological Society.
    He said: "To imagine what it's like being a mother or a father we're likely to focus more on the good things about being a parent than the bad things.
    "This is mainly because we believe that the rare but meaningful experiences like a child's first smile, or graduating from university, or seeing them get married will give us massive and long-lasting increases in happiness.
    "These boosts in wellbeing tend not to last for very long. Instead, parents spend much of their time attending to the very core processes of childcare – problems at school, cooking and laundry – which are much more frequent.
    "It is these small but negative experiences that are more likely to impact on our day-to-day levels of happiness and life satisfaction."
    Despite his research Dr Powdthavee, 30, and his girlfriend are thinking about starting a family of their own.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/he...-have-any.html
    Last edited by Miaow; 21-03-2009 at 12:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Whilst I do agree that most of the day to day stuff isn't much cause for song and dance, I disagree that small moments of happines are 'cancelled out' by the boring dull stuff.

Let's see how he feels when he has kids of his own

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LG View Post
    Let's see how he feels when he has kids of his own
    Yes be interesting to see if his opinion on the research suddenly changes then

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Tell me someone who doesn't need to cook and clean for themself or atleast occasionally.

This study is cr@p. My daughter makes me happy just by looking at her.

sam's mum is offline and Amelia's and Belle's too....
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    have they considered whether NOT having children makes you UNhappy though.

what a silly study. pffft

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Doesn't matter if you have kids or not, there are still chores to be done. At the end of the day we can look back & be happy about our kids achievements for the day. Knowing that my DH & I created our beautiful children is enough to make me happy for a lifetime

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sam's mum View Post
    have they considered whether NOT having children makes you UNhappy though.

what a silly study. pffft

i don't have kids. so yes, i can't say whether they'll make me happier or sadder.

but still. i do the cooking and the cleaning, and the laundry etc already.
    at least with a kid you get those special milestones. or that special kiss etc
    i recon it would make up for it (lol...how clucky do i sound )

Fuchsia! is offline Winner 2009 - Best Signature
    Winner 2010- The Best Signature Award
    Shmoooooooosh! AKA jaxcoop
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You can not possibly come to a conclusion like that. Its stupid.

I thought i was happy before kids and i couldn't be happier with life, but by gosh how wrong i was when i had my 1st child, things were so much happier when i had kids. My day is filled with constant happiness.

When i look at my DS dancing so d!cky, my heart is filled with happiness, when i look at my other DS receive an award at school my heart fills with happiness. Nothing can compare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Gee, some people have got too much time on their hands

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    pfffffft