+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guest Guest

Default Swollen Feet and Ankles HELP!

I have a question i thought I would check before i run to my doctor thinking something is wrong.

yesterday I was working till really late so I was on the pc all day (mainly b/c wasting time here lol!) So at about 11pm I decided to have a shower before bed and noticed my feet and ankles were really swollen and throbbing.
    I went to bed elevated my feet while sleeping and this morning they have gone down, but still look a bit different. Then I suddenly got this cramp in right calf, and it feels like I pulled my muscle, because I'm trying to stretch it out but can't. I didn't do anythingg to suddenly pull my muscle either?
    Is this normal or ok? I haven't swollen anywhere else and feel no other symptoms?
    Should I call the dr anyway? Or I'm just being overly cautious?

I'm thinking I may not work so much today either and rest and try and walk around, that should help right?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would call the dr, it's probably something simple like fluid retention but sometimes swollen feet and ankles can be a sign of pre eclampsia. I would go and see your dr and have your blood pressure checked just to be on the safe side.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Lots of swelling can be a symptom of pre eclampsia so get your blood pressure checked, but it doesn't always mean that. Are you feeling dizzy or seeing spots in front of your eyes? I swelled up like a balloon with both my kids, it was terrible, but my BP sat on 100/70 all the way thru so my dr wasn't worried.

As for the calf carmps, that are completely normal and very common. I got those too I forget the reason why it happens so much in pregnancy but I doubt it's anything to worry about.

Go see your dr if you are worried though.

http://www.preeclampsia.org/symptoms.asp

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Swelling while pregnate is caused by vaines on having a direct route to your heart & having to under & around your tummy bump. Its normal. You may have pulled your calf in your sleep (has happened to me).

If you are really consirned call your doctor & ask to speak to them. They may be able to tell you what to do over the phone & save a stressful trip into them.

Submerging your feet in cold tap water will also help to bring the swelling down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd see your GP just to get it checked out but it's very normal. My feet & ankles have puffed right up & my feet always feel so hot.

Cramping is also normal with pregnancy too, i'm getting the odd mild cramp in my feet or calf every now & then too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi there.

i too have significant swelling in my feet and ankles, sometimes into my calves and knees. it can be extremely uncomfortable.

as above, it can also be an indication of pregnancy induced hypertension - pre eclampsia. your dr or midwife will check your blood pressure and may also test your urine for signs of protein.

my swelling has been around for at least a couple of months now, but i've no signs of protein and my bp has increased slightly.

if you're concerned, see your dr. and definately mention at your next ante natal appt.

good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have the same problem with my feet swelling, they swell so bad during the day i got worried and told my GP and all she said is that it happens to alot of women and all you can really do is lay back with your feet up. It gets worse in the heat i can hardly walk on my feet. I also get like a feeling of a pulled muscle in my leg at night in bed, it doesnt happen all the time but i know it does really hurt, but every night i do get like this nerve thing in both legs and its soo irritating, i just put up with it until i fall asleep. Just try and stay off your feet when you can and keep them up, thats all i do, i also try and wear soft padded shoes just walking around at home, even those big cushy slippers? that seems to help aswel

MagicalLeopluradon is offline Shun the non believer shunnnn shunnnnnn
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you are worried I would definately see the doctor so that your mind is at rest....I have 6 weeks to go and my feet / hands are puffy and swollen but each time I go to the docs my blood pressure is fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OMG-- So funny, but I had the exact same thing happen yesterday.
    Afternoon found that my feet were swollen, so put them up when I got home and got DH to rub them.
    Woke up this morning screaming, as my leg fully cramped at about 3 am.

I have my 25wk ob app on monday so was going to mention it then, but I agree with the other girls, not to much to stress about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I swelled up like a balloon, through my whole pregnancy. So much so that I managed to get stretch marks on my calves . Noone ever commented on how I was glowing, I was enormous!

However! I didnt end up with high blood pressure until I was in early labour. So its something to keep an eye on, get it checked out if you are really worried, feel unwell, see spots etc. but it can most likely wait til your next appt.

Oh I found that sitting on the computer, or in the car for long drives was the absolute worst. You can use those flight socks things, they helped a little, but with the extent of my swelling there wasnt much they could do.