+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Travelling to Bali when pregnant - hints to make it safe and comfortable

Hi
    DP and I are heading to Bali in 3 weeks - to have a little holiday b4 our beautiful baby boy joins our family in July. I'd really like some suggestions from other mums who have travelled when they are pregnant especially ideas for shoes which would be good in Bali.. I'm going to do a lot of walking and need supportive shoes but don't want enclosed.. was thinking Crocs thongs or Masseurs.. ?? also i've been told its very humid over there so any tips for handling the humid weather and food to aviod would also be g8. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ooh lucky you! Actually I just got back from a holiday to Bali 3 weeks ago myself.

I have to say I wore thongs and sandals everywhere and they were fine, but I didn't do that much foot work (taxis are so cheap cheap and it is sooo hot). Whereabouts are you staying? We went to Ubud and Seminyak.

In terms of food I really struggled but I was in my 1st trimester and was nauseas as anything and all I wanted was a roast dinner . We ate a lot in our hotel and just stuck to the normal food principles you use here. I avoided eating anywhere that wasn't full of people. As you probably already know you have to use bottled water for everything (incl teeth).

There have been rumoured rabies outbreaks amongst the street dogs so I kept my distance just in case -not that they are really interested in you anyway.

Hope you have a great time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    we are staying at the Bounty in Kuta and I'm really looking forward to it.
    how did you find the air travel?
    luckily i'm in my second trimester so don't have to deal with nausea
    thanks I will keep well away from any dogs and prob catch taxi's everywhere

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi babybelly!!!

although im not pregnant at the moment but can offer adv on bali and bounty as ive stayed a few times.....
    with food obviously avoid all salad and stuff( water issue) and try the bounty burger its great!!!
    the main pool gets noisy so if ur not much pf party animal ask for room at back of hotel.....they are basic rooms there but pretty comfy for the time u spend in them....
    they have massage ladies by the pool and they are reallty cheap and were great!!! i was there daily.....
    id take everyday runners- like the type u wear to the gym- the foot paths are pretty un even around kuta and its so much more comfortable and u dont have to worry about stepping in dirty water!!!
    there is also a great massage place on the main rd along the beach.......its just up from the mecure hotel and nearly next to maccas and they are great!!! an hour was approx $10 ozzie!!!
    the maccas goes pretty good as well!!!
    if there is anything else i can help with let me no!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey babybelly

I was there over Christmas, not pregnant but with a 6 month old strapped to me so kinda felt like I was!

I found thongs the best, your feet will get dirty as it's dusty but you get over it and pedicures are so cheap it doesn't really matter. Runners are also good but I would think would get a bit hot.

Also watch out for milk drinks as I got Bali belly from a dodgy milk shake, (it's often made up from milk powder with water) otherwise the food was all wonderful.

Lucky you, have a great time it is so fantastic and the people are absolutely gorgeous!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there...
    I haven't been to Bali, but I did travel A LOT in every trimester when pregnant.

I wore Birkenstocks. They are so comfortable, they offer a lot of support for your feet (I have terrible flat feed) and they are adjustable if your feet swell.

I wore comfy cotton cargoes with stretchy waistband on the plane. I took and aisle seat so that I could walk around whenever I wanted. I drank HEAPS of water to keep hydrated, and ate lots of snacks too (some that were available on the plane, some that I bought myself). I made sure I took a walk at least once every 45 minutes.

I flew long haul, short haul - the lot - while pregnant. So if you have any particular concerns, ask away..