ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mum_I'm_hungry View Post
    I've lived inner-North and inner-West and would only ever live inner-West now. I have some friends in Morningside and Bulimba and it is lovely, but that drive into the city... yuck. I hate that skinny, scary road, whatever it's called.
    Bulimba is lovely but difficult for commuting, particularly public transport. It's like a peninsular.

I know what you mean about the road (the one that goes through East Brisbane etc towards the Story Bridge?). I'm always paranoid a truck is going to scrape me, and am always infringing on somebody's lane.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I live on the inner northside, and love it. The Windsor, Wilston, and Grange (were I am) is also a lovely area. It's close to the city, the Royal Brisbane Hospital, Shopping centres, Schools, and large "sports parks" (Downy Park).

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Moving to Brisbane

Hi

I'm originally from the UK, we lived in Sydney for 2 years before relocating to Brisbane in Nov 2008.

We had planned to do a short term rent for 4 weeks whilst we found a place as we new nothing of suburbs etc but were lucky enough to secure our 4 bed house with pool and garden in Ascot and didn't need the short term rent. We had looked at Hawthorne / Bulimba / Balmoral but by chance saw Ascot on a website site www.realestate.com.au another good site is www.domain.com.au

Can only agree with other posts, Brisbane is lovely. We like Ascot as it is a lovely leafy suburb with local shops and CBD in easy reach. Its close to the airport and to local shopping malls.

Wishing you the best of luck with your move. Feel free to email me if there's anything else you want to know.

J

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks very much for all the info there, will definitely look into those areas. We're just making general enquiries into a few areas at the moment because we're not sure which suburb DH will be working in yet

DH was looking at Redcliffe too because its near a beach, does anyone have any positive or negative feedback on this area?

Thanks again for all the advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You wouldnt really call it a beach at Redcliffe. Its more of a "still water". People do swim there but not many, well I havent seen many.

I live in Kallangur which is about 15-20min drive from Redcliffe. It however does have a really awesome man-made lagoon "free" to all the public. we swim there alot!

Some really nice parks around there too. Alot actually!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Choogirl View Post
    Thanks very much for all the info there, will definitely look into those areas. We're just making general enquiries into a few areas at the moment because we're not sure which suburb DH will be working in yet

DH was looking at Redcliffe too because its near a beach, does anyone have any positive or negative feedback on this area?

Thanks again for all the advice
    If the buget allows, I would look at Shorncliffe over Redcliffe. It's a lovely suburb - has a pier and a lovely park.

Redcliffe is a long way from the city.

Commuting in Brisbane is rubbish (although probably not has bad as other cities) so I'd definitely recommend living close to wherever you or your husband will work.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Not so nice areas on the north side....

Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    Commuting in Brisbane is rubbish (although probably not has bad as other cities) so I'd definitely recommend living close to wherever you or your husband will work.
    This is good advice. Public transport and road travel is incredibly inefficient and time consuming. There are bad suburbs in Brisbane and ignore the fairytale advice of moving to Ascot unless you are millionaires or want to pay excessive amounts in rent. I suggest you remain within a 10-15km radius of Brisbane CBD. More affluent areas are New Farm, Ascot, Woolowin and Clayfield etc. But if you need to consider being further out of town I would say Albany Creek, Chermside, Aspley, Toombul( Onlyparts of it), Nundah or try places like Stafford, Ferny Grove or Ferny hills (Surburbia, Boring but safe, Inner North west). Most of Brisbane suburbs are strange in that they often streets tat are less ideal than others here housing commission familes are living. Avoid areas which are technically just beyond Brisbane borders like further north like Strathpine, Petrie, Lawnton, Brendale, Bald Hills, Bray Park, Warner (Better and newer than Strathpine or Bray Park but still a working class area with a lots of new mass produced housing). North Lakes and Surrounding suburbs are too far out if you intend to work in the CBD. Whilst it does not seem far traffic is a nightmare. I would argue that Redcliffe is a hurdle because of traffic delays too and I for one am not a fan of the mudflaps. Best advice I can give is move as close to work as possible and into the most expensive area that you can afford (within reason) The low to middle class areas are rough and on the north side it tends to be more racist. (Since South Brisbane attracts other cultures but unfortunately they cluster together and cause and unhealthy concentration of specific isolated communities.) Good luck. Not the friendliest city I've ever lived in :-p

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow really old thread,