+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Alcohol and Breastfeeding

I was just wondering a few things when it comes to drinking alcohol if your breastfeeding.

I've read somewhere that if you do have a drink you should wait 2 hours before you feed. Is this true?

It's just DD is now 6 months old and I wouldn't mind a drink now and then.
    I have had a few after she has gone to bed for the night, knowing she isn't going to wake to be fed for at least 8 hours, but not to the point of inebriation (sp)

It's only a year out of my life I know or however long she wants to BF for, but I'm telling you girls, lately I sure could use a glass of wine early in the evening. (or make that 2 glasses )

I just don't feel comfortable with having a drink knowing DD will have to be fed in a couple of hours. What do you guys do if you want a drink? Do you or don't you? And does anyone know the scientfic facts of what alcohol does to BF?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think it is ok to drink as you are.
    Sounds safe now y baby is 6m and he sleeps 8hrs at night(lucky!)

I don't drink at all so it doesn't worry me! LOL

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    For every standard drink (which is 100ml of wine - 30ml of spirits - not sure about others), you should wait 2 - 3 hours before a feed, is the general consensus.

I do have a few wines occassionally, but DD sleeps for 10 hours - I have maybe a glass or two, and know that I'll be right for the first morning feed.

There are quite a few threads around about this - maybe do a search, you're sure to come across them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As long as you aren't feeding for a couple of hours I am sure it is fine to have a standard drink. Well I do anyway. I am probably a bad mummy as occassionaly have had a standard drink during the day.

There is now a low alcohol wine made by Brown Brothers 5.5% is about $11.50 a bottle or you can get West Coast Cooler for low alcohol (even though this reminds me of being 16!!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There was something on the news the other night, about alcohol and breast feeding....

they suggested... if you have 2 standard drinks... you will be right to feed 3 hours after your last drink

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    There has been a new study done on this & they dont condone drinking at all not even the one glass.
    But if you were to have one they say to feed before you have the glass then wait at least 3hrs as the alcohol hits your milk 30-60mins after you drink it so pretty much an immediate reaction.
    There hasnt been any real truths about how alcohol affects babies in the breastmilk until just recently with the Curtin Uni doing a study on it all.
    It makes for a grumpier unsettled baby & also the myth about it helping with let down has been proven untrue. Was very interesting to hear about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allyoo
    There has been a new study done on this & they dont condone drinking at all not even the one glass.
    But if you were to have one they say to feed before you have the glass then wait at least 3hrs as the alcohol hits your milk 30-60mins after you drink it so pretty much an immediate reaction.
    There hasnt been any real truths about how alcohol affects babies in the breastmilk until just recently with the Curtin Uni doing a study on it all.
    It makes for a grumpier unsettled baby & also the myth about it helping with let down has been proven untrue. Was very interesting to hear about it.
    Agree, agree, agree!!!

The study showed that yes you have to wait AT LEAST 3 hours after the drink before feeding. Your blood alcohol levels are the same in you breast milk. So whatever that is, is what your baby is drinking. If it's just one or two glasses, I really don't see the point. I didn't drink a drop while pregnant as that would go straight to the baby, I would never drink while BF (if I could BF that is, but that's another story ). JUst would never put my baby at risk of getting even the tiniest amount. My motto is....(it was also said on the program stated above) You wouldn't put alcohol in your baby's bottle, so don't put it into your breastmilk.
    Makes sense to me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EmysMum
    My motto is....(it was also said on the program stated above) You wouldn't put alcohol in your baby's bottle, so don't put it into your breastmilk.
    Makes sense to me
    Mine too but i didnt want to get shot down for saying lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allyoo
    Mine too but i didnt want to get shot down for saying lol
    HA! No flies on my back Al, you should know that by now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EmysMum
    Agree, agree, agree!!!

You wouldn't put alcohol in your baby's bottle, so don't put it into your breastmilk.
    Makes sense to me
    They used to, didn't they?